• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you guys think about the EU delay?

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
    Again the release date for the EU region for the new pokémon games is a few days later than the rest of the world.
    Does anybody know the reason for this? If you are going to say its because of the leaks for X&Y,
    EU wasn't the only region that leaked early.

The only way to get the PAL version early is probably trough the AUS e-shop, but I don't want a digital copy and 5 days is huge for pokémon something that is promoted to be a worldwide release date. Not getting spoiled in those 5 days means not going on the internet. What do you guys think?
    Could you come up with a proper argument why the release date is delayed for the EU region again?

The only thing I can come up with is that they just can't get the games out sooner than the 23rd, but a simple solution would be to make the worldwide release date the 23rd instead of the 18th.

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    It really doesn't bother me in the slightest. I doubt I'd be able to get the games straight away regardless, so a few days, to me, is nothing.

As for why? Who knows. I saw the suggestion that there's more translation work to do for Europe, but I don't know if that would be true.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
    It really doesn't bother me in the slightest. I doubt I'd be able to get the games straight away regardless, so a few days, to me, is nothing.

As for why? Who knows. I saw the suggestion that there's more translation work to do for Europe, but I don't know if that would be true.

All the copies in the world come with the same option for languages. Australia gets the game on the 18th and that one is also pal version, meaning it will work on EU 3ds systems.

Years
    I really really really dislike it. For dedicated players, 5 days is two/two and a half playthroughs... it means five days of staying away from pretty much every place I regularly go online. I live online T_T

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    My guess is because of how strict Europe has become with it's gaming laws that Nintendo probably needs the extra time to get the final stamp of approval to distribute within the country.

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    All the copies in the world come with the same option for languages. Australia gets the game on the 18th and that one is also pal version, meaning it will work on EU 3ds systems.
    Well then, I have no idea. Was only repeating what somebody else suggested.

Years
    It's so weird this is the second game in a row to be released later in Europe compared to everywhere else, but I think Xander has a bit of a point as to why it's a common trend that Europe tends to get main series titles last, and it's probably due to gaming laws in Europe being stricter than other countries and Nintendo probably needs to get through more barriers there.

In fact, Europe getting stricter was also likely what contributed to the Game Corner removal starting in 5th Gen.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
    It sucks, but it's just a fact of life and business. I know some people think it's simply Gamefreak or Nintendo having something against European players, but it's seriously not that personal of a thing. Europe tends to get films before us -and it tends to be the films I want to watch most- and, like others have said, it has to do with the regional branches of the studios/companies, the culture and calendar of the region, international politics, and international business laws and trends. Hell, my restaurant's menu is different than one of the same franchise's across the same state because of a different culture in that city with what people like (not extremely different, mind you, but there are differences)
    That said, I do understand the anger (I don't understand the paranoia that it's a deliberate plot against EU players). Though I personally can't even do a single playthrough in five days, I know most other players can and it sucks to have everyone else have that headstart on you especially if you want to avoid spoilers.
    I'm not going to pretend to know the exact reasons why it happens, but to me, the weird thing is English-speaking non-European areas getting it at the same time as Asian regions. It would make more sense to me to release them in similar speaking regions. If Japan and China got it five days before the Americas and Europe, then most spoilers online won't be in English and English-speaking countries would get the same start on them.
    Someone mentioned that it could be a translation thing and I'm wondering if it's simply because the EU region has many different languages compared to the other regions which would have two at the most, usually? I'm not saying translation issues would take a mere five days, but the European branch could simply have wanted a few extra days to make sure.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Europe have had this for a while now, but it is only 5 days which is fine compared to the wait between Diamond & Pearl which was about 3 months. It's easy to avoid spoilers with such a short amount of time, though it is a shame they didn't go for a simultaneous worldwide release like they did for X & Y.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    It's disappointing but it probably won't affect me too much since I always want to "spoil" the new pokemon in advance so I can start thinking about what my team will look like. (plus I just like seeing the new designs and it doesn't matter to me how I see them)

It's everything else I don't want spoiled, and that probably won't be too hard to do for 5 days as long as I'm vigilant.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
    Years
    I didn't get XY first day anyway so I don't think this delay will really mean anything for me - there isn't really a huge difference between avoiding spoilers for two days and five days. I'll be happy to have time to find out everything there is to know about the new region's Pokémon anyway, as I've never really been a fan of starting the game blind regarding who I want to use and how to get them. Biggest problem is that by the time I can properly discuss the game, everyone else will already be winding down from that ):

Dr_Ukato

He who fights for joy, Not glory.
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2017
    My opinion?
    I hate it with a burning red passion. I'm looking into airplane tickets to travel to a country where the games release early.
    Anyone know if Great Britain get them the 18th or 23th?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    My opinion?
    I hate it with a burning red passion. I'm looking into airplane tickets to travel to a country where the games release early.
    Anyone know if Great Britain get them the 18th or 23th?

I believe all of Europe gets it on the 23rd. You'll have to leave Europe to get it before that.

Years
    The games are also out on the 18th for Taiwan and Hong Kong, which basically means only the whole of Europe are getting it on the 23rd while it's the 18th for everyone else.

Years
    So then I'll just have to check up on tickets to Canada or the US...

Or there's the option of downloading from Australia since it's a PAL region since they also get it on the 18th... but I can understand if you and other Europeans are annoyed at the prospect of being swamped by spoilers.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021

Somehow I don't think the game would reach Ireland from Australia before the 23rd of November. If the Europe release date was later (like December) I could see this possibly having been worthwhile though.

Back