• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you like better? The Japanese names or the English names?

What's better? Japanese or English?

• Japanese

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • English

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Other Language

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Avishka

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    The English names are more easy to remember than the Japanese names

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    Japanese names because they sound better and more cuter :3.

Such as:
    Mijumaru (Oshawott)
    Futachimaru (Dewott)
    Mikuri (Wallace) omg sounds like Mikuru :OOO
    aand others..
    but German Oshawott (Ottaro) is so kawaii

WizPoke

I Love Horse Pokemon
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 5, 2011
    I honestly don't even know any of the Japanese names for them. Being as, like others, I am from an English-speaking country and that was what I was raised on for Pokemon, I've just always gone with the English ones.

I am a tad interested in looking up English-Japanese differences now .... but I don't think it'll happen, haha. I forget to do things I think of alot.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    I do sometimes find myself in love with certain names like fushigidane, hitokage, and zenigame (the Kanto starters). However as for preferring those names, I just think Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle are far too different from those names to even compare them. Also I don't speak Japanese so I can't attach meanings to most of them, and I tend to have trouble remembering them since I don't play the Japanese games so I never see the names. I didn't even remember zenigame when I typed this (had to look it up).

I greatly prefer using the English names.
    However since I have the Spanish version of White, it gets quite fun seeing the Spanish names of items, characters, etc. In the Spanish version they use the English names for the Pokémon, which makes it easy for me. To be honest I really really like when the Japanese and English names are the same like Pikachu and Caterpie. :3
    Everyone knows the French names are better than the rest. Pyrax > Volcarona > Ulgamoth
    I second this, at least for the few few few French Pokémon names I've seen.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
    Neither English names nor Japanese names for me !
    I totally prefer french names, maybe because I've grown up with them so they sound more epic for me than in english or in japanese.
    After, I just want to precise that I'm really disappointed with french 5G Pokémon names, they were better before, albeit it depend on the Pokémon.
    But seriously, when I was playing RBY or OAC, Pokémon's names were so badass :pink_boogie:
    Sometimes, when I see English names I'm a little disappointed by them. For example Moltres, for a legendary fire bird, I think it's not so good at all. I prefer "Sulfura" (I'm not sure that the effect is the same with English prononciation, however :pink_tongue:), or "Electhor" instead of Zapdos. After, there are french names that are really bad, of course.

Back