• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you like in ROM Hacks?

Awesome

has divided by zero.
Years
  • I like it when someone does more than just edit the text with a text editor, change maps, and add fakemon. Thats a good first step. But also, the hack has to be enjoyable to play, fun, a little challenging... and it can't make my eyes bleed with bad graphics, either.

Years
  • I like new tiles in a rom that are either custom or from another generation.:D
    However i dont like it when they go completely wild and they end up looking like something off final fantasy instead of Pokemon. :(
    I also like it when they add new Pokemon whether it be fakemon or D/P Pokemon.
    What i don't like however is when they put only a few D/P Pokemon in there games and then leave out the rest. Either have them all or have none.
    I also like it when they have a completely new storyline and not one that's just been slightly changed with a text editor.

raidenx2008

Beggining Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2016
    I like:
    1) Original Pokemon & Starter set, hated fakemon until the end. If someone is able to include the FULL 4th gen. (DP) pokemon set (386>>493), I vote for that.
    2) A brand new region^^
    3) A brand new STORYLINE, not like Quartz/Marble...phail.....
    4) Some 1337 is good, not too much....

rstar095

Baby Seal Clubber
    Years
  • this seems like a good place to post this for an opinion, i hope its not too off topic. Well I know you guys dont like the same old badge system so im making a hack thats a lot more open world, and inspired a lot by fallout 3. Would you guys like to see that in a hack, and what would improve it?
    Also, to the people that dislike fakemon, what do you think of fakemon that evolve from real pokemon

Last edited:

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Something new and creative. Tiles, scripts, a new region, storyline, an evil team, fakemon, music...almost every hack has that.

I myself don't play too many hacks. I only do so if the particular hack has caught my interest.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2013
    I like the hack that has a very good whole, good scripts, maps, tiles, storyline and other graphics (sprites, OW, region map etc.).
    How Nintendo's games, has everything I mentioned above will.

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
  • Fakemon. If they're good that is. For me, fakemon makes a hack original (bar topaz because the fakemon look like blobs) and I also like a hack with a little bit of humour, which is why I like pokemon Quartz and Sienna. I also like it when the hacker has actually, you know, hacked, instead of just clicking a few buttons and calling it a hack.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
    Years
  • Good quality scripts and maps. I can't stand a hack where you literally have the same scripts as the base! IE:

me said:
    "Darn, it's that stupid person looking at his footprints again!!"

I also can't stand when they just jumble up the maps in a different order, even when they have entirely new scripts, because it feels like your still in the old game, only with a few better graphics :(

Well, that's my word about it :)
    ~Shiny Quagsire

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
    Years
  • I like hack that:
    Used mix tile (mix . with ruby with other generation)
    Cool script
    Fun map
    Effort
    Don't care what other say and keep on hacking

timaeus222

Music Composer, Mixing/Mastering Engineer
    Years
  • I like it when the hack is challenging, has a purpose, and has some sort of custom map(s).

Also, if I had a patch that were a hard mode of FireRed, plus a new area, would anyone play it?

Last edited:

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    GB/GBC Hacks are usually the best. It's a harsh process of elimination. HEX Editing is quite simple, when you get the hang of it, but I am still confused in some areas.
    I also enjoy tiles that are realistic, especially in forests. (Somehow, Prism is still odd to me- CBM made a good job on it)
    One pet peeve is grammar mistakes. Sure, you can make a great joke out of it by having a major (or minor) character use l33t while everyone else speaks like a normal person.

You know what? When I figure out how to fix PRU, I'm going to make all Pokemon able to be captured.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
  • What would you like to see in Pokemon Hacks?

Well the title says it all...
    There's a thread on what annoys you in hacks, but I don't belive this one exists...
    So, what would you like to see in hacks?
    As for me, I would LOVE to have an alternative to bike! What I had in mind, is for a great ow spriter to make a hero's ow riding a pokemon like Arcanine, Rapidash, Tauros, or something like that! In my opinion it would be so much better, and more fun than just plain, old bike riding!
    Also place for grinding, something like EV training sector in "Pokemon the Tempest" by icychill66.

So how about you...?

Years
  • Yeah I forgot the you in the tile, but NOTHING's prefect. This is another post from me about what I myself also would like. I like Fire Red ROM Hacks the most despite being overhacked. Well Fire Red does have the ability for 2 regions. I will make a ROM Hack of Emerald soon. Will it be coming this December?

Sewzie

Too sexy for my shirt.
    Years
  • I love the fresh, new, and original storylines. Playing through the same plotlines of the original Pokemon games (non-hacked) over and over again can get a little boring.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 28, 2012
    Something that'll challenge me to work to the hardest to win and achieve success. :D

Back