• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you look for in a Pokémon Game?

Exiled~Shadow

Once, JJMcay Now Exiled~Shadow
    Years
    I have been having some trouble coming up with a good idea lately so i thaught i would turn to the public, ?What would you like to see in a pokémon game" and also "What don't you want to see in a pokémon game?"

It can be anything from the rival not being your best friend to having a day night system, heck even if you would prefer to have pokemon overworlds instead of grass!! If you have something you want to see post it here! I am using RMXP It dosnt matter wether its possible to be done on rmxp or not, i just need ideas!

Last edited:
    Years
    Action-packed battles! I'd love to see a fan game revamp the battle system to include movement and positioning, size differences between Pokemon, throwing opponents into things, and other "realistic" features.

Exiled~Shadow

Years
    Action-packed battles! I'd love to see a fan game revamp the battle system to include movement and positioning, size differences between Pokemon, throwing opponents into things, and other "realistic" features.

I have plans for something very similar to what you have described and it is within rmxp's capability's.

darkerarceus

Advanced RM2K3-er
    Years
    For me itd be easy to do with RM2K3 by using variables and switchs so you can randomize which objects are near ,which objects have been smashed.. and so on

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
    How professional the game looks and feels is probably the most important for me. If the game is riddled with spelling errors, bugs and dodgy graphics, than it's not worth playing in my opinion.

Exiled~Shadow

Years
    How professional the game looks and feels is probably the most important for me. If the game is riddled with spelling errors, bugs and dodgy graphics, than it's not worth playing in my opinion.

I know what you mean, and i am already concentrating on that but i am mainly looking for extra features and content that would make the game original.

DrCoolSanta

Erode away...
    Years
    Surprise us with features we couldn't even think of.
    Next thing, you don't need new original features, but having an original story, original background. Original types of starters and everything will be awesome. I am too fed up of the usual ones.

Exiled~Shadow

Years
    Oh, dont worry, i have a very original, every intriguing story witch has a little insight on our favorite gym leaders early days as a pokemon trainer... Flannery

Note: There story isnt about flannery and you ant flannery, she is just a main character.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    RMXP really limits how creative you can be. Let ideas come to you. Forcing ideas out isn't the way to go.

And try coming up with something besides Pokemon. It has been done so many times especially here. Strive for difference or else your game won't stand out from the rest.

Exiled~Shadow

Years
    RMXP really limits how creative you can be. Let ideas come to you. Forcing ideas out isn't the way to go.

And try coming up with something besides Pokemon. It has been done so many times especially here. Strive for difference or else your game won't stand out from the rest.

Ummm, it is a pokemon game, what do you mean by "besides pokemon"?

DrCoolSanta

Erode away...
    Years
    Sad thing is that it is the developers who limit themselves with RMXP. You have no right to complain. You chose to use it, had you thought of using a better engine or create your own, wouldn't it have been much better.

Exiled~Shadow

Years
    Ok, well can anyone recomend a more advanced game maker? i was starting out with rmxp cause im new to all this... then i was going to move on to something more advanced like sphere... and then possibly "Revamp" my first game to see how much i have improved and what i can do better...

Darkholme

Keeper of the Pointy
    Years
    I'd advise learn to use a programming language (steep learning curve) or pick up all the tools and do a romhack.

Advice would be Java or C++.

Or hack the GBA Games if you don't want to do it from scratch.

Either way, make something ~Good~

As for features We haven't seen, here are features I think would rock.

Different types of battles (different rules) > such as multiple pokemon at once, a real time battle system, like Legend of Mana, but with your Pokemon, A battle system with pokemon like in final fantasy tactics. Possibly to option to CHOOSE what kind of battle every time, or have it be random.

Pokemon Appearance customization: pick from a selection of heads bodies, etc. basically choose your pokemon's pose.

Pokemon Equipment: Get Pikachu a pair of matrix sunglasses to make him looks sweet, Pokemon Body Armor, etc. Make the scaling reasonable. No Knife should do more damage than a sword, if you add weapons, thats just absurd.

Minigames: Make alot of minigame type activities like the pikachu surfing. Make them frequent. Possibly as....

Quests: Do try to avoid lots of delivery quests, they just suck. Try to come up with more than just "take this person X", find "X", find "5 X", and defeat 15 X. Those are unoriginal and boring. Hence Minigames. The Jak and Daxter Series illustrate a good implementation of quests. WoW illustrates bad, and repetitive, quests.

Maybe an Original Plot.

The Ability to catch ALL of the Pokemon, in ONE GAME! GASP!

umm.

Here's one that would rock, but would be outside your ability at the moment. > Allow the game to export saves for the existing GB, GBC, GBA, GBDS Games.

IE, Go to Kanto, Go to a Pokemon Centre, Go to the Computer, choose export, and it'll make you a gold/silver, red/blue/green, and firered/leafgreen save on your computer with your current character and his pokemon (the ones that are in those games, with available moves.)
    This feature would be cool, but hard to do.

Multiplayer over the internet. Possibly just Battling, Possibly MMONess.

DrCoolSanta

Erode away...
    Years
    Not so hard but it requires some hacking up and work. It can easilly be done with diff and all to understand how .sav files are saved. With that much info how hard is it gonna get. But meh, it does rerquire work and understanding.

Back