• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you look for in anime?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
  • Self-explanatory title, really. Note that this isn't a "what type of anime do you like?" thread, but more about the individual components that make up a given anime. For example, do you go for distinctive animation, or characters you can relate to, or long-ranging storylines, or lots of robots hitting each other... and the list goes on and on. So, discuss! :D

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • I know it sounds weird, but I like Anime that isn't largly Anime-y.

OK, let me try this again. I prefer Anime that isn't... "Goofy"... with the ridiculous expressions and all.
    I mainly like the serious action oriented Anime, mostly Shonen/Shounen/W.e.

About the only goofy anime I can stand is Bobobo, and that's mainly because it actually IS funny.

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    Girls. Cute/moe art. Humor. Hype.

I'm not a deep anime watcher.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Cute character designs, plots that don't rely too much on the supernatural unless it's specifically a mahou shoujo series. It actually doesn't take much to satisfy me as far as anime is concerned :P

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I was going to say plot then realised a lot of the anime I enjoy has **** plot.
    I guess really just entertainment value, trend seems to be wacky/interesting plots, supernatural, violence and comedy.

If it has good animation, then that's just a bonus, but definitely not necessary imo.

I try to avoid anything moe or similar modern anime cliches.

Years
  • I don't look for anything in particular. Or rather, I look for things I don't like and when I don't see them I think: "Well, this looks good... for now."

So... I look for the absence of things that bug me: derivative comedy tropes, moe, slow and boring plots, cheap animation, bad music. Oh, there's one thing I do look for: good music. I really appreciate good music.

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2012
    The main thing I look for is the animation. Is it good, is it bad, etc. Another main thing though, is, history. Is the anime about history, and if so, loosely based or does it sound like real history. I love anime about samurai, so it is one of the main things I look for.

Years
  • Good storytelling and, as a result of that, good, likeable characters. It can look all sorts of awesome, but it doesn't mean a thing if the story and characters are crap. If it just happens to have good quality animation and a great soundtrack along with it, then great.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • I don't stick to one genre, as I'm mainly looking for a good story, interesting characters and a story that actually moves on. I don't want to watch 40 episodes of something where all the characters did was take one step forward and two back. Waste of time, if you as ask me. A beautiful soundtrack is always a plus.

I'm also quite picky in the art style of what I watch. I want something that /according to my standards/ is well drawn, pleasing to my eye and something I'd like to learn from. I don't want gigantic eyes or overly skinny people, "normal" anatomy will do.

Zythrone

The One And Only!
    Years
  • It depends on my mood...

However the two things that never change is "Good Story" and "Not Being Crap".

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Art is really important to me. I like the modern art style and I can't watch anime with art I don't like. I also am not really into most serious anime, I want at least a little humor in my shows haha.

Sirius

Wrong Thread.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2013
    I like an anime that is interesting enough to grip me into it and I end up watching multiple episodes without even noticing. Great music and characters are what really make an anime to me and if it doesn't have a good plot and interesting events then it ain't even worth watching.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • Yaoi

Entertainment, but mainly I like to look for in anime the Drama and romance.

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
  • Hmm, I don't look for much in an anime. I tend to go things located in the comedy, drama, and romance.

I like anime comedy that isn't something like Family Guy *coughenglishdubofghoststoriescough*

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    The first thing I look for is definitely the art. If it's art that I can't stand or character designs that are not up to par, I typically won't watch it.

Other than that, I enjoy some drama, romance, violence, anything. I'm not too picky with that, though it would help if there was a good storyline. That doesn't really count though since I've watched a lot of anime where literally nothing happened except the characters talking, but at least it was entertaining.

Joshawott

Banned
    Years
  • Well, I haven't actually watched a whole lot of anime, but what I look for isn't really a whole lot; as long as it has a good story or is just enjoyable to watch (like Pokémon, for instance) I'll check it out. Oh, and I typically only watch animes with English dubs. I've never really given subbed animes much of a try, but regardless, I just can't seem to get into them.

Back