• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you name your rival?

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    I usually just make up some name. Except in GSC, I always named him "???" because that what he said his name was, and I'm honest. :)

Ninetales433

KHR Forever *-*
    Years
    I used to name my rivals with random names,now I just name my rival their original names,like Silver in G/S/C and Gary in R/B/Y and FR/LG.I sometimes name them by their Pokemon Special names.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    I usually name it something to make fun of him/her. Like "IMALOSR" or something like that.

I'm not sure what I'm going to name the Rival in SoulSilver, but I thought about "CRTTOP" (Like Carrot Top.) because he has red hair.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Usually I name him after a person that I didn't like at the time. The only one that I can remember before Diamond though is when I named Gary "Brett", because I was angry at a kid at school with the same name.

Heh, my internal hatred comes out in Pokemon of all places.

If I remember correctly, I named Pearl "Jacob", because I named my playable character "Charon" and I was writing a manga at the time with a character named Jacob and Charon who were friends...

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    My rivals are usually references to random characters, usually from literature. My rival in Pokemon Blue was called Holden (from The Catcher in the Rye), and my rival in Pearl is called Owen (from Just Listen by Sarah Dessen).

I changed things up sometimes. For example, my HG rival is going to be called Shawn. Shawn is a form of the name John, and the name Giovanni is also a form of the name John. See what I did there? I guess it's sort of a reference as well, but I like to keep some meaning with my names, even for references to literature.

GDark08

"I AM A MAN!"
    Years
    I generally follow the trend of naming my rivals after friends or people I know. When the 1st gen. games were out, I tended to name them after people I just didn't really like, seeing as how the first rival was generally a jerk-ass strawman anyway.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    I always name them from the manga.

"Gary"- Green
    ???- Silver
    RSE didnt have a choice :[ please fix that in the 5th gen. remakes game freak
    "Barry"- Pearl

It just makes the game more enjoyable imo

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
    I name my rivals insulting things that noone wants to know. :3

I used to give them my friends' names as nicknames though. =D

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    If not their canon names (Blue, Silver, or Pearl), I've used:
    -Joe