• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think about Linux?

derrekbertrand

PKMN Haxxor
Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2017
    @regalsin Are you just reading opinion articles? Because I use Linux exclusively, and all of this is half true. Almost nothing you've said has been accurate.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • Ubuntu problem is that it collects information on what it's users are doing with it.
    It's Windows 10 which does that. So far Ubuntu's only spyware feature has been Unity's search function which sent your searches to Amazon but it can be easily disabled and it's disabled by default in Ubuntu 16.04.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    I'm actually about to graduate with a Bachelor's Degree in Software Engineering while planning to continue getting my Master's Degree in Computer Science.

Well that is good for you. I honestly I stop being in front of computers for three years after I had gotten my associates and just busted back into college. It is not like if I wented straight right away, or had the motivation to go straight at all. Imagine being surrounded by people looking at you for money saying "did you get your associates, did you get your associates, do you have a job, do you have a job" and not giving one ounce of what I care about. I am like three programming related classes away from a bachelors including two math classes.

I just do not feel motivated anymore. If I am going back in then I need something else more then the blind promise of a job. I need people who actually respect me and love me for me. Not just money money where is the money. You understand.

I am not just to be seen as a piggybank, or piece of meat, who is able to lift heavy things and pay other peoples bills.

That is why I study art. At least I am happy with what I study and I with all the negative attitudes and feel at peace.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • I had a crash (Probably a kernel panic) during the first part of the update, so I booted into a terminal to install the important packages, then booted back into Ubuntu and ran a partial update to finish the upgrade.
    Maybe you did the upgrade a bit too early, the update manager hasn't notified about 16.04 LTS being available yet.

Years
  • speaking of Linux im about to take it off my video streaming computer and put windows 7 professional back on it i was using Zorin but when the keychain alot of the time wouldnt unlock as it is suppose to after login and also had issues of remembering the login info for my windows shares i got tired of using it and just want to have my windows 7 back

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2020
    Windows for work. Linux for pretty much all my servers and on one of my laptops. Arch and Centos and Crunchbang(bunsenlabs).
    The Windows environment is good for general purpose stuff while Linux seems a little more specialized and niche but that's probably just from being so conditioned with the Windows environment from its huge market share. Most of my experiences using Linux as a general purpose desktop environment has ended up growing into a very productive programming environment than much anything else. Don't see myself using it for video editing or gaming or art and such misc activities. As much as there are software to facilitate this a lot of them are not-so-active or have Windows as their leading development platform.
    Linux has a very healthy development environment with a very active development community for the most part and package managers for distribution. These days whenever I care to use Linux it's because I'm specializing a system to be a server or render farm or seedbox or whatever and want a much more concise use of resources which Linux provides. Using Windows or any other OS for a server sounds icky.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I use Ubuntu on my laptop (dual boot with windows), as various programs I use for work require it. I don't mind it, but I stick to windows for non-work stuff mostly due to some programs and experience.

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
  • I love Linux and the features it offers, but I use a lot of programs not supported on Wine and I use them a lot, almost daily. Therefore, my computer runs Windows 10, and I'm pretty content with that as is (they did a pretty good job with Win 10 but that's for another time). That's really the only downside to Linux for me, and it's a deal-breaker, sadly.

That said though, I'm planning on installing Solus on my laptop, on which I usually only browse the internet, since it's pretty lightweight (well, as is all other Linux distros) and actually quite pretty. It's built from scratch, so it's not based on Ubuntu or Debian like so many other distros and it's built to maximise efficiency and speed, together with an aesthetically pleasing experience. Google it and check it out, it looks pretty awesome.

Update: I regret downloading Solus. I stand by what I said, but it's lacking some features that I need such as mobile broadband support, so I'm afraid I can't use it. It is being built from scratch and will probably have the feature sooner than later so I guess I'll check it out again someday. :/

Last edited:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • It was alright, I really didn't mind the terminal part but the OS couldn't do what I needed, in particular music. I'm a musician so I use 3 music softwares; Cocko's Reaper, Presonus Studio One, and FL Studio Producer. Linux couldn't either handle them or it didn't support them. They were all Windows OS software and I got them to install it's just the softwares didn't work so Linux didn't work for me.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • That's more or less the developers fault compared to the OS's fault. While it is true that Linux doesn't have near as much support for software, the OS itself is not to blame. I find it so sad that many programs aren't supported, but that is because developers don't get paid to write for Linux.

Linux users have to rely on the wonderful world of free and opensource software instead. I have adapted to this ideology quite happily.

Seeing as how you rely on music programs, I would have suggested you try Ubuntu Studio or Artistx. I don't think I could abandon FL Studio if I had gotten serious with it though. It is quite fantastic and I'm sad that it isn't supported across all platforms.

If it wasn't for music then Linux would most likely be my go to OS. It was speedy, tho it may of been quite intricate to understand at first, it became quite basic after learning how the OS works.
    I've used an Mac before and I liked it and all but, they just aren't worth the money so I'll continue using my Windows computer.
    I can't abandon any of my DAW's. I use them all and I'm so used to their workflow that I couldn't downgrade to something that would be Linux exclusive. Been using Windows based DAW's for years, well they're actually Apple compatible too.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • That's completely understandable. If it was something like using Windows because of "gaming", then I would be a tad disappointed, but to each their own I suppose.

I got a PS4 and Xbox so gaming is covered. I just can't abandon my precious music, it's my life ya feel? I'm more than just a rapper. I do mixing and mastering as well so switching wouldn't be an option.
    I like Linux don't get me wrong.. But for my specialty I don't believe it can be done. It might be able to, but my expertise is in music, not computers lol.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • Update: I regret downloading Solus. I stand by what I said, but it's lacking some features that I need such as mobile broadband support, so I'm afraid I can't use it. It is being built from scratch and will probably have the feature sooner than later so I guess I'll check it out again someday. :/
    Install USB_ModeSwitch, it should make the mobile broadband work.

Back