• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What do you think about the Mega Evolution's ?

Thephantomalien

Thephantomalien
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 6, 2015
Mega Evolution's are starting to come into more and more Pokemon games of late. Personally i think they are pretty cool but aren't really needed that much and it kinda sucks how they can only Mega Evolve once in a fight and then its gone until your next fight. Maybe they could think of a newer and cooler system other than Mega Evolution's; so what other system could they and should they have?

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 42
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 9, 2021
I think mega evolutions should be a permanant thing rather than an in battle effect but still only while the mega stone is held.

Give Charizard a mega y stone get evolution animation to mega charizard.

Remove mega stone get new de-volution animation to normal charizard.

Or just choose to permanantly fuse it with the pokemon.

Then to balance it out only allow one mega in a party at a time, although I still think it'd be awesome to have multi mega battles in restricted situations.

Thephantomalien

Thephantomalien
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 6, 2015
That actually sounds like it would be really cool to have that, however why not just have a whole other evolution level?

AquaMarine8

One less, one less problem~
Years
I think the concept of Mega Evolution is really cool. Not gonna lie, at first I didn't really like it, and it took me some getting used to. However, now that I've seen it in-game, it really works well for the series. Plus, finding all of the Mega Stones is fun. :P

Regumika

So Graceful
Years
I think the Mega Evolution concept is good - Finding that extra power/strength when fighting together with someone you're close with. Though I think a use limit should be placed on it though, like PP.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Overall I don't like it. If it just made them more powerful (or even just certain aspects more powerful) then it would be perfectly fine, but there's many pokemon that completely change the stats (making it go from a physical attacker to a special attacker, for example) and sometimes giving it an entirely new, unrelated ability making entirely different movesets required to make use of either it's Mega ability or it's non mega ability, so there's numerous pokemon you have to have completely different movesets and EV training and even nature for based solely around whether you will use it's mega ability (and therefore need to mega evolve EVERY time you use it) OR ignore it's mega form and use it solely in it's regular form and therefore never mega evolve it. It's a huge pain and they really should just have made them stronger in whatever they were already strong as already rather than having you need to devise an entire training regimen based just around a temporary evoution.

I think the Mega Evolution concept is good - Finding that extra power/strength when fighting together with someone you're close with. Though I think a use limit should be placed on it though, like PP.

You can only mega evolve 1 pokemon in your entire party (not counting Kyogre or Groudon) and even then you can only mega evolve once per battle, how much more of a limit do you need?

Regumika

So Graceful
Years
You can only mega evolve 1 pokemon in your entire party (not counting Kyogre or Groudon) and even then you can only mega evolve once per battle, how much more of a limit do you need?

It just doesn't make sense (realistically) to be able to pull out hidden power an infinite amount of times a day (visiting the pokecenter). Which is why I suggested the PP portion, to make it realistic. If you're talking pure mechanical, fine.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
It just doesn't make sense (realistically) to be able to pull out hidden power an infinite amount of times a day (visiting the pokecenter). Which is why I suggested the PP portion, to make it realistic. If you're talking pure mechanical, fine.

I don't understand your sentence, factoring Pokemon Centers into the equation, you can perform ANY move an infinite number of times in a day by simply refiling your PP every time you go to a pokemon center, take medicine or eat a specific berry, so why is it any different from mega evolution?

Regumika

So Graceful
Years
I don't understand your sentence, factoring Pokemon Centers into the equation, you can perform ANY move an infinite number of times in a day by simply refiling your PP every time you go to a pokemon center, take medicine or eat a specific berry, so why is it any different from mega evolution?

Going to the Pokemon Center is the day (role playing). It's like going to an Inn. You don't sleep at the inn 50 times a day, because that would mean sleeping for 400 hours in a day that you only have 24 hours of. Go ahead and argue that Pokemon Centers are high tech and only takes 10 seconds so you can go get your Pokemon rested 50 times a day.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Going to the Pokemon Center is the day (role playing). It's like going to an Inn. You don't sleep at the inn 50 times a day, because that would mean sleeping for 400 hours in a day that you only have 24 hours of. Go ahead and argue that Pokemon Centers are high tech and only takes 10 seconds so you can go get your Pokemon rested 50 times a day.

But in a role playing game, the characters actually go into bed and you see them go to sleep, in Pokemon you hand your pokemon over to Nurse Joy while she heals them and you stand there staring at her while she does it while all the other people in the pokemon center are going about their business talking to each other, buying stuff from the store or trying on clothes, you can't equate your pokemon being healed while you stand there and watch with going to an inn and sleeping for the night. When you take your cat to the the vet to get it's teeth cleaned do you sleep in the vet's office for the night and leave the next morning, or do you do stuff while you're waiting until it's done and then you take it and go on your way for the day?

Years
  • Age 34
  • She/Her, It/Its
  • Seen today
I think Megas are an interesting concept that's terrible executed. If the games where easy before they where introduced, putting megas in pretty much broke the game, because now you get an easily obtainable pseudo legendary alongside your boxart legendary for your party. I mean if they give you a mega, you want to use it. Otherwise they would be pretty pointless. They also made the powercreep even worse than before, because of their stats being so high.

And even outside of the ingame story, they provide a lot of restrictions for player who want to battle other people online, because most of those Megas are terribly matchup based.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • she/her, they/them
  • Seen yesterday
I like Mega Evolutions. Particularly Mega Diancie and Mega Metagross. People cry a lot how it's a Digimon rip-off (it's not) and/or how Megas are all broken ass bullshit in competitive play (they're not; not all megas are broken shit like Mega Kang/Mence/Ray/etc, you really can't tell me that Mega Audino or Mega Steelix is broken or anything).

I think that Mega "Evolution" is kinda a poor choice in name though. It's not really the same as regular evolutions in Pokemon (never mind the fact that Pokemon evolution is more akin to irl metamorphosis than irl evolution) since it's a temporary transformation. It's more like a form change than anything else.

But as much as I like megas they kinda need to be more careful with the choice of who gets a mega and what boosts it gets as a mega. Like besides the fact that Mewtwo is popular idk why the hell one of the strongest Pokemon in existence needed TWO megas. Or why they thought that Parental Bond was not at least a slightly ridiculous ability on Mega Kangaskhan. Or what the hell they were smokin' when they made Mega Rektkuza. And then you have the other side of the spectrum, where Mega Banette is underwhelming and Mega Garhomp is arguably worse than regular Garchomp.

Years
Mega Evolution was not something I liked the idea of at first, but it came to grow on me. It gives quite a few Pokémon cool new ways to be used in battle and made them far more usable and fun. That's one of the big things - it breathes life into a lot of Pokémon that would be quite difficult to use otherwise, such as Beedrill and Lopunny.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
What do I think about Mega Evolution?

I wish it never existed. :(

SiriusAlpha

One and only
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 28, 2015
I think that Mega Evolution made some of them really OP but it's an interesting thing to introduce. I kind of wish that a Mega Stone was a Key Item that you could trade I guess because some were version specific and you only needed it in your backpack for it to react to the whatever-it-is so that it can hold another item but in that case definitely only one per battle.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 20, 2015
As a pokemon gamer who started with X and Y without really delving into past pokemon games, I find it really interesting. Mega evolving is really something you can pull out once even if all your pokemons in your team can achieve mega evolution (I should know, I made such a team in Alpha). Mega evolution is like a trump card. Which pokemon is going to mega evolve? Is it that Charizard the player pulls out? Or that Lucario? Wait, maybe it's that other pokemon almost no one use? And then, there it is, mega evolution! And even with the mega evolution, the battle is still not won. All mega evolution is doing is add to the strategy a player can pull out now. It can be anything from a total bluff to a huge success, including the disapointing failure.

But I still feel Gamefreak should add something, like a gauge that shows the players how much power they have in them before and after mega evolution. Yes, that's exactly it! The player needs to have levels too! Wait, they already incorporated them inside X and Y as friendship levels with pokemons. Then why doesn't the lore feel right here? Here's the only thing that bothers me about mega evolution. Only lvl 3 friendship and over pokemons would be able to mega evolve. This would force players to go into pokemon amie more often. There's a huge bonus to befriending the pokemons more!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
They are alright. I sometimes wish we could use two Megas...maybe next Gen they'll have a Mega item with more power to do just that xD. Then again...facing Mega Kanga and Mega Blaziken sounds bad...(but with two Megas we could get Mega Minun and Mega Plusle with awesome Double battle boosting (sp Atk? Atk? Speed?) abilities.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
It took some getting used to. Several mega evolutions could have just been evolutions (Mawile, Sableye, Audino, Banette). Some I find absolutely cool (Absol, Gardevoir, Beedrill, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza). Some I find with uninteresting designs or otherwise unnecessary (Garchomp, Scizor, Alakazam, Gengar). Some I just hate for losing the Pokemon's original charm/traits (Lati twins for different wing structure, Metagross for not looking like a literal tank, Sharpedo for having more yellow star patterns, Aerodactyl for having some unnecessary spikes added everywhere).

So yeah, having all of these mixed feelings made it hard to get used to. Mega evolutions are hit or miss for me. =P

Back