• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think is the most dramatic change when a pokemon Evolves?

Levity-Adam

Aipom rocks my socks!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2008
    A small change which seem's quite odd is when Prinplup evolves into Empoleon - it gains a whole new colour scheme!
    Also, Tyrouge. Although it is a good Pokemon when it evolves it looks totally different which hardly any resemblance...
    Although, at least these changes a better then when Diglett evolves into Dugtrio - two more heads just pop out and give you an angry stare...

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    kudos to you for finding out/knowing about the japanese legends. However, I personally would say that the poli- evolution is still a little bit odd because its like, one second tadpole, one second frog. There are none of the in-between stages. imho, it would have been better to insert two new pokemon, and have the chain branch from poliwag. but thats just moi.
    If we were to actually include every stage of an animal's evolution, we'd have more than three forms. This is basically like saying you have the forms for caterpie:

1. Caterpie
    2. Caterpie making a coccoon
    3. Metapod
    4. Butterfree coming out of Metapod
    5. Butterfree unable to fly because it's wings are wet
    6. Butterfree

It applies to this too. If we were to follow your logic, we would have more than three forms.

1. Poliwag
    2. Poliwhirl
    3. Poliwhirl turning green
    4. Poliwhirl growing a mouth (lol)
    5. Politoed

We simply can't have every single stage and form of a Pokemon's life cycle to resemble that of a real animal. Besides, Poliwhirl's arms already marks the transformation from a normal tadpole to a frog.

I have to say, you cant compare pikachu-raichu to pineco-forretress. the chus have the same basic shape and design, whereas pineco and forretress's only similarity is that they're roughly round.
    Wrong. They're both based on the bagworm. Similar to how Pikachu and Raichu are based on the mouse. Yes, they are both round, but they have many other similarities.

They both do not have mouths.
    They both share "ridges". Pineco has those things from a pinecone whereas Forretress has a bumpy texture and red cannons.
    They both have eyes in between two layers of the body.
    They both have metallic appearances and are known to explode.

Besides, they aren't really in their true form. Bagworms live inside something. Pineco is simply a bagworm living in a pinecone, which is why it gets the appearance of a pinecone. Forretress is simply a bagworm living in a ... uh... metal round thing with red cannons. o3o

Larvi-pupi-tyrani would make a lot more sense to me if they were bug type (like the other cocoon evolution pokemon). The fact that they are rock confuse me. and larvi and tyrani are actually fairly similar, unlike caterpie/butterfree or wurmple/dustox/beautifly
    Isn't it kind of obvious? Judging by the names? Pupitar is the only discolored Pokemon out of the three, so its obvious that it might have a covering? Pupitar resembles a cocoon? And regardless of Larvitar and Tyranitar's similarities, Larvitar still needs to undergo some evolution to transform into Tyranitar.

Okay, so combusken and blaziken have the fighting type similarity. But they don't really look very similar. combusken is a chicken with chunky thighs. Blaziken is a big dude with long hair and a mask. both the mask and hair come from nowhere. they aren't developed through the evo line at all
    Oh come on now, you can't be rejecting the fact that these two look similar.

They have similar coloring.
    Combusken does have a big tuft of hair on its head, which could sprout into Blaziken's ugly hairdo thing. It could also sprout into the "mask".
    They both have metallic looking hands and feet.
    They both have beaks. Blaziken's "mask" is connected to its beak.
    They both have fiery volcanic patterns in their fur.
    etc.

And for your information, the "mask" on Blaziken can also be the comb on a chicken's head.

Years
    I would have to say nosepass..
    Like it goes from a rock to a floating rock with a moustache!
    What is that thing anyway? lol.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    We already had a thread like this.
    Seriously, can't this topic die, we don't have enough information to judge evolution unless we actually know what it is.

Um, what? XD He's talking about physical changes, as in the appearance of a Pokémon. Not anything biological~

Anyway, I'd have to say Feebas -- > Milotic and Magikarp -- > Gyrados are the two biggest changes, at least that I've noticed. Honestly, two little fish turn into giant dragon-like sea serpents, pretty kickass if you ask me.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    Um, what? XD He's talking about physical changes, as in the appearance of a Pokémon. Not anything biological~

Yeah, I'm talking physical changes too. You can't judge whether a Pokemon evolution is weird on the grounds that the Pokemon looks different then what it evolves into. Nobody has enough information to tell what Pokemon evolution actually is and the last thread like this I gave a whole bunch of explanations to some of the evolutions of Pokemon so people shouldn't be asking.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
    Yeah, I'm talking physical changes too. You can't judge whether a Pokemon evolution is weird on the grounds that the Pokemon looks different then what it evolves into. Nobody has enough information to tell what Pokemon evolution actually is and the last thread like this I gave a whole bunch of explanations to some of the evolutions of Pokemon so people shouldn't be asking.

But we're not talking about whether or not it makes sense, we're just saying that it's a dramatic change. That's all.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
    Doesn't mean people can't argue opinions. This isn't a place where people come and everyone states their opinion and everyone else just sits there and smiles. It would be pretty boring if we didn't argue. He's not saying the person is an idiot, he's just disagreeing. There's nothing wrong with that.

Suzume

Fire Fist
    Years
    Even when I was small, I thought the Dragonair -> Dragonite was really weird. I mean they are both dragons of some sort, but that's the only similarity I see. Completely different colors and body structure. And I can still somehow understand the Magikarp evolution, but Remoraid -> Octillery is just weird. What do a fish and an octopus have to do with each other? The same goes to Clamperl -> Huntail/Gorebyss. Now that's the most dramatic change of them all. A clamp changing to eels? o__O

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I would have to say magikarp into gayrados and feebas into milotic is an epic change...I mean seriously!

Oh and Eevee being able to evolve into tons of different types of pokemon as well...now that is extremely crazy yet AWESOME!

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
    Sometimes Pokemon's personality change, too. Like Pikachu --> Raichu, for example. Doesn't the handbook say that Pikachu don't like evolving because they like their personality? Idunno.

I'm trying not to state which pokemon have weird evolutions.. Togetic ---> Togekiss

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2009
    I have to agree with magicarp(weak) to gyrados(strong) and feebas(ugly) to milotic(awsome)

Peanutz

So i herd you leik peanutz?
    Years
    Remoraid's evolution makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...a fish to an octopus? (Octillary) I mean, seriously, I know Pokemon is unrealistic but that just takes the cake.

I also never really got the whole Dragonair to Dragonite thing either.

The most epic is definitely the whole Magikarp and Feebas thing. They both start out as weak, crappy fishes and evolve into two of the most epic water types in Pokemon.

Back