• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What do you think of Crystal version?

Years
    Crystal was one of the greatest games I have EVER played. I finally get to play as my own gender, the animations were cute and seemed breathtaking at that time, and going back to Kanto was awesome. If you look at the posts, the ones who like the Crystal version ALOT are the girls, probably because in Crystal you actually get to play as a girl. With the guys it didn't make any difference. xD

God Magnus

青き戦士 - ゴッド マグナス
    Years
    I liked the Pokegear functions. Especially the phone and radio function! plus the run away pokemon (Entei, Suicune, Raikou) were hard to catch and it gave me something to do.

.Iramet

Banned
    Years
    These were and still are some of the best games out of the whole pokemon franchise, I also like that you are able to travel to both Kanto and Jhoto.
    Ah those were the good old days.

Mr. Pokemon

Still rockin' the DS Phat
    Years
    I swear I've posted in a thread like this before a million times...

Anyways, Crystal is a fine game. It introduced many Pokemon standards - a girl character, the Battle Tower, the Move Tutor and in Japan, wireless trading not fully realized until Gen IV (unless you count the Wireless Adaptor for FR/LG and Emerald.)

Years
    Pokémon Crystal is the best game of the second generation. It had features like animation of the Pokémon sprites and a battle tower that were initially removed in the third generation.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I think Crystal version should be marked in Pokémon game history! It was the first Pokémon game to have moving sprites. Also, it is the first one to support gender picking.

It was also the first game to support local trading and the first in-game event(Japanese Version Only)

Int he Japanese Crystal, Goldenrod city had a larger, specialized Pokemon Center, called the PCC, or Pokemon Communication Center. Their you could connect to your Cellphone via a cord that came with he game to get current Pokemon news and trade with Pokemon in the area. THis and the Japanese Stadium 2(Actually the 3rd Stadium game in Japan) had such a thing, and was the pre-cursor the D/P's GTS. Also, if you connected to your cellphone at a certain date and time, you got the GS ball, the item to unlock the Celebi Event in ilex Forest.

It's a shame all of this is Japan Only D:

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    It's a shame all of this is Japan Only D:
    What's more, Nintendo has shut down the original Mobile Adapter server. This means that it's now totally impossible to use the Pokecom Center, even in Japan.

Mr. Pokemon

Still rockin' the DS Phat
    Years
    What's more, Nintendo has shut down the original Mobile Adapter server. This means that it's now totally impossible to use the Pokecom Center, even in Japan.
    I'm surprised some small hacker community hasn't set up their own server and found a way to trade that way. I just have to wonder if it's possible to trade over the Internet as if you are using the PCC.

I think part of the PCC is in the US version of Crystal, can't remember if it was translated or not. I think it's a room full of scientists. I'm going to look for the page I found the info about it.

EDIT: https://www.legendarypokemon.net/crystal/pcc

I found it. The room is just a room of 3 scientists, and their dialogue was translated.

Last edited:

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I'm surprised some small hacker community hasn't set up their own server and found a way to trade that way. I just have to wonder if it's possible to trade over the Internet as if you are using the PCC.
    Possible, yes. Feasible, not really. It will take a lot of reverse-engineering the Japanese Pokemon Crystal and Mobile Adapter to get anywhere near this sort of thing, and it's impossible to know how things were run on Nintendo's end.
    I think part of the PCC is in the US version of Crystal, can't remember if it was translated or not. I think it's a room full of scientists. I'm going to look for the page I found the info about it.
    A significant portion of the Japanese Crystal's changes were translated for use in the American versions, but most were not fully implemented. The whole PCC was translated, for instance, although it's not easy to get the full thing working even through Gameshark.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    Crystal version is so much fun and I can never stop playing it! Its my fav. pokemon game ever!!! xD

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2009
    Crystal was cool, but I prefer Silver. Moving sprites/and all was cool but I just have something special with silver. :D

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My fave is on the box!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back