• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What do you think of HG/SS?

GeTViZy

Live2Play<>Play2Live
Years
  • Like many have said, I also believe the original Gold and Silver are were the best pokemon games to have come out. These new versions of course have improved from what was already there. It has been very fun playing through the story again, but with the new quirks, as well as all the nostalgia moments it's bringing from a decade ago. The only thing I find unpleasant is perhaps no more Vs Seeker from the previous Gen IV games and also the renaming of several things from the originals. Certainly more positive than negative and well worth the wait for the remakes of the best pokemon games.

Cloudfall

Togekisser
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2011
    Like many others, Gen II was my absolute favourite... After my Game Boy Color started turning off by itself while playing -_-, I waited for quite a long time for a remake. HG/SS is an excellent remake of the GSC games and they definitely bring back the nostalgic feeling from playing Crystal. :3

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I think it is a beautiful game and I love it with all my heart. G/S/C were always my favorites and are amazing games, and these just add on to the fun. But I was a little disappointed in one thing though. I figured that everything in the previous games would be added on in this one. I was a bit disappointed in the fact that I didn't have a VS. Seeker and it's a bit impossible to train. But that's my only complaint.

Years
  • they are great games, but they dont really have the same feel of the original games. i like the menu on the bottom screen tough

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I think Game Freak FINALLY got it right with HGSS. Fully integrating the touch screen, the ability to have EVERY Pokemon walk with you, and the Pokewalker easily make this game the best on the DS. If they would have carried over the Secret Bases in Emerald it would be the greatest game ever. Emerald still rules with the ability to create multiple Secret Bases full of Lv100 Chansey with no offensive moves. Nothing comes close to legitmately leveling up your Pokemon than that.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • okay how are there lvl 7 Beedrill that doesn't happen how about level 8 Noctowl not possible but there are like 10 pokemon that can be caught in the wild at Level that would be impossible on Platinum there was only one that I know of and that was the Golbats in Mt.Cornet but you had a very low percentage to see one of those and what about lances dragonite lv 50 first that is impossible too it was also so easy to beat I died a little inside its like they didn't even try

Edit: oh whats this just encountered a Ledian hmm level 5 thats not right

KAZillonaire

Pokémon is my profession.
    Years
  • I played it on ROM, it was going good - until I forgot to save. It's pretty hard, I guess... I haven't been playing Pokémon lately, so...

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • Great games, but the english versions SUCK because of censorship, the censorship "absol"-utely (oh c'mon, "absol"-utely is not a bad joke, this is a Pokemon forum for petes sake!) RUINED my childhood by renaming Tin Tower, changing entire lines of dialouge, and Voltorb Flip, I always hated Voltorb anyways, but you can blame Jack Thompson and PEGI for killing the Game Corner......

In general, I prefer the original GSC, 8-BIT FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
  • This game is the best Pokemon game I have ever played. Definitely top-notch sexy. I guess I expected a lot from it anyway, seeing as It's Johto, the best region with the best story and game play IMO.

So, It's like Pokemon G/S/C on crack.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2017
    I've enjoyed my copies of HGSS (preordered both and both Ho-oh and Lugia are hanging around Giratina on my shelf...whenever my cat's not knocking them down) and besides my iffy-ness on the game corner (I'd love it more if I could just buy coins or if they had both of the gamecorner games from 2nd gen), I feel that it's a nice homage to G/S/C. Especially since I gave up trying to play my old Silver version since the save battery died years ago. It's at least a good replacement for some of us who have DSes and broken carts.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    I hate GameStop because they didn't give me my Ho-Oh Figure. I went in to get my pre-ordered copy and while I was waiting for them to give me the figure they said NEXT.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    Loved the game, hated the fact that I couldn't get the preorder figurines here because apparently Australia is a mythical land of unicorns and fairies who have never heard of figurines.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • It was cool as storyline, graphics, and playing ...
    But, try getting a Pokemon up from Lv. 2 to Lv. 50 for using in the Battle Frontier ! IT TAKES FOREVER !! @_@ Mostly because you're afraid of most trainers which have Lv. 56 Pokemon which YOU have to beat with that Lv. 31 Golbat of yours !
    God freaking kill me, I off the wave, still playin it, but I MUST finish my team before I enter the Battle Frontier. And Pt. was all faster .. ;_;

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    It's okay I guess, It killed a bit of time, but I still use platinum as my main game.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2010
    Playing Soul Silver on the DS brought back old memories from when I was younger playing silver on the GC. It has been great so far and I think Game Freak hit it on the spot doing remakes of Gold and Silver.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    they are great games, but they dont really have the same feel of the original games. i like the menu on the bottom screen tough

In a way I sort of agree with you. HG/SS were great games but the originals are still the best IMO. I honestly could see myself playing Silver on and over again, never got bored of it (and Johto was one of my least favorite regions).

The menu on the touch screen was nice. Better way to use the DS' touch capabilities and should have been implemented in DPPt in the first place though I hated the PC design. It was just kinda messy and not as fast as the PC in previous games.

kaiser32

Rhymin' and Stealin' ~
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2013
    It had great potential, but overall it definitely wasn't perfect. I'd give it a 7/10. The levels are STILL too low, the VS Seeker has been downgraded back to the out-of-date phone, Johto is STILL infested with way too many Kanto Pokemon, Johto Pokemon are STILL poorly showcased, and the Gym Leaders are STILL too easy, and Lance STILL has a hax Dragonite. And overall, it seems that they were too afraid to improve from the originals to bring it up to standards with Pokemon Platinum, which is a shame, considering GameFreak said themselves that they wanted new comers to think of it as a new game. Notice how the Hoenn and Sinnoh dex doesn't disclude random evolutions of Pokemon, it's as if they're saying that the Johto dex doesn't deserve to have Pokemon like Magmortar or Gliscor, even though Magmar and Gligar are included, and the Sinnoh dex includes ALL evolutions of every Pokemon.

What I mean by potential, I like how they established that there actually is a Johto Dex (but it has way too many Kanto Pokemon), and I like how they actually made an effort to improve the levels in Kanto. It never made sense how all of the Kanto Gym Leaders in G/S/C were weaker than Lance (except Blue), but I'm glad they made them stronger than Lance this time.

Overall, I like Platinum better. Go ahead and flame me, HG/SS lovers.

gf was forced to do that. why? Because people would complain about "Not having the classic feel"

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Totally love it. The way they Integrated user interface with touch is very convenient and much more better than those in D/P/Pt. I really like gym leaders new design, they're look great compared to the original .

Back