• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think of Paul?

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2013
    Do you like or hate Paul? Do you see him as a complex character or a Gary copycat? Does he remind of HellKaiserRyo on Yugioh GX?

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • I thought he was a "copycat" of Silver.

I don't mind him. I AM a fan of him, but sometimes his cruel character makes me not really like him much.
    Although he was epic in DP128. (a.k.a. "A Pyramiding Rage!")

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • He's definitely a Silver clone. But then, Silver is a total badass, so that makes him automatically awesome yo.

Eh, I really, really couldn't stand Paul at first, but I came around to him eventually when I realised that Ash wasn't going to convert him into a fellow goody-two-shoes - hurrah for character stability*. I definitely think there's a weeny bit more backstory we're not getting though, maybe about his parents or something - it can't have just been Reggie quitting that made him into a complete ass, even if he did always have a ~cruel streak~ in him.

The only thing I can't stand about him now is his dub voice - talk about flat. :/

Last edited:

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • I think he's a bit of a jerkass, but he has a lot of potential to start going down the right track (with how he raises his Pokemon, I mean), and become a more friendly rival for Ash.

He has a lot of great Pokemon, and uses them with great strategy. He just treats some like crap, so he needs to work on that.

Oh, and yeah, he does seem a lot like Silver. I don't mind that, because Silver's one of my favorite characters in Pokemon.

Goron

Mountain Dweller
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2009
    Do you like or hate Paul? Do you see him as a complex character or a Gary copycat? Does he remind of HellKaiserRyo on Yugioh GX?

Paul is a good trainer but a complete douche.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • He's a great rival but I hate the way he acts sometimes but that only makes him a better rival for Ash. He's one of the reasons why Sinnoh has such great episodes.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    He's literally one of my only reasons for watching the DP anime, honestly. o_O;

Aside from the fact that I'm loyal to Pokemon, and would watch some of it anyway, he actually makes me want to watch episodes if he's gonna show up in 'em. Mainly because he's a jerk, but that and his training method makes him interesting to me. I think he makes a better rival to Ash then Gary.

Sumirelove

Lazy Arcanine
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen May 27, 2010
    Hm, when I see Paul (whenever I do watch the new Pokemon series xD) I think that the English writers tried too hard to make him seem like a cold character. If they toned it down, I'm sure I would like him.

It's good to see that you don't have to be a villan to be cruel in Pokemon though! :).

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • he doesnt even compare to gary. Paul seems to be Silver's counterpart. Paul gets on my nerves a bit but he does have a good team on his hands.

Years
  • Paul, as a person, is a butthole and makes me angry.
    But that's makes a great antagonist and is very very good for the story.
    So I like Paul as a character

(...Haven't we had this thread before?).

Back