• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think of R4?

Do you like R4's?

• Yes

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • A Little Bit

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

SpellingAce

Who, me?
Years
  • The title says it all, do you like R4's? I think they are okay, except for the part about the copyright argument... I don't wanna get wound into it.
    If I post this in the wrong place, please tell me.

Last edited:

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • The title says it all, do you like R4's? I think they are okay, except for the part about the copyright argument... I don't wanna get wound into it.
    If I post this in the wrong place, please tell me.
    I'm not understanding the topic correctly. Are you referring to R4DS specifically or to all flash carts? I'm going to assume it's the second since the second part of your post suggests it. I don't see why anyone shouldn't hate flash carts besides Nintendo and 3rd party game developers. It is really a useful device especially if you do not have money to buy games all the time. Morally it is wrong but the pros of owning a flash cart outweigh the cons by a landslide.

Also, I think you should realise there are indeed other flash carts that perform equal or better than R4DS.

You can always have homebrew games so its not really illegal :\

I find your comment hilarious. I'm pretty sure only 1% of the people who buy flash carts use it only for homebrew.

thorn96

Fool! I am the weasel!
    Years
  • Well, I have had an R4DS for almost a year and it's never failed me. Even if games don't work on it,
    it's a simple matter of going online and downloading the new firmware. And I'm getting an EZ Flash 3 in 1 Expansion
    Pak soon, so that will let me play hacks on my R4! w00t! <(^.^)>

Sure, it's not quite legal. But neither are things like Limewire, and most sane people don't use iTunes to fill their iPods.

Zet

Years
  • actually a lot of sane people use itunes, insane people are the ones who do stuff illegally and I really haven't been bothered to go and buy an R4 yet, though I have been meaning too since like the start of the year

Years
  • I use the CycloDS and I prefer it, it has nice themes and all. The updates for support of new DS games come often, its pretty easy to use and there is a lot of support online.

Mr. Curling Iron

u kujw bux :d
    Years
  • :/ I'm just stating a possibility... and no... NO ONE buys an R4 for homebrew games... :/ Except maybe Bill Gates or something.. or the owner of Nintendo :/

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I use an R4DS and I have to say without it I would never play any new games due to money shortages.

yvette

Heyyyyyyy
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    I have a cheap rip-off one from China, but it works just as well. I have over ten games on it, and music. The imitations are as good as the real thing.

The Dark Knight

Gotham's Watchful Protector
    Years
  • I have one, they're pretty cool. Especially how you can theme them, and play homebrew, music & movies. For downloading games illegally, like Razer302, I doubt I would actually buy them so technically I'm not losing Nintendo any money. If you have one, a CycloDS or pretty much any other flash cart, NDSthemes is a good site for downloading new ones, and uploading your own.

Naturalistick

Used to do a little.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2008
    R4DS is awesome. Just the way you use it, might be legal or not, but the ability to carry music around is awesome to me (yeah I carry my DS around instead of iPod ^_^),
    As said above, customizing your DS with themes is also a plus.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • I guess R4s are alright, but if you really like a game I would say just buy the actual cartridge, besides from what I've heard, Nintendo is taking measures to make R4s and similar cards incompatible with the new DSI.

SpellingAce

Who, me?
    Years
  • Some website says that Nintendo is trying to use law to get rid of Flash Cards (Not Necessarily R4), But that only seemed to do the opposite, now more people buy Flash Cards, someone even made such a comment, "Dealing with (Flash Cards) is like dealing with a Hydra: You cut off one head, three grows back." On the other hand, though, if we continue to buy R4's but not the legal copies, Nintendo will go bankrupt and no more games for us. :P

RyCario

RJC
    Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2010
    I have an R4. Yes, you can put music on it but it had horrible quality, even when you use headphones. The R4DS team is gone. No more updates.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Why would anyone buy a flash cart to STEAL games anyway... I mean...first pirating software, then emulating to prevent purchase, and now PUTTING it on your DS :/

~Mooshykirs

Back