• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What do you think of the Hoenn Starters?

Favorite Hoenn Starter?

• Treecko

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Mudkip

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • Torchic

Votes: 24 47.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
Years
Which of the unique 3rd generation starters did you use? Did you have a favorite right away, or did it take time for them to grow on you? Mudkip and Torchic instantly won me over with their types and designs, perfect for Hoenn. Though it took quite a lot of time for the tree gecko to grow on me, and was the last I picked when playing through the 3 games, but it was surprizing how well rounded a Pokemon he was. Fully evolved, each have some nice type combos, except for Secptile still just a grass type. Who did you find most useful? :)

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Treecko is my favorite. Followed closely by Mudkip, because his design is awesome, and then Torchic. That doesn't mean I dislike Torchic, but it was the first in a long line of Fire/Fighting starters. So I blame it for starting the trend.

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
Years
fav is definitely torchic
because blaziken is awesome and powerful and i like how it has an intimidating look ^_^​

Crizzle

Legend
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 7, 2024
Mudkip and Torchic were really awesome. Their designs were as good as any starter Pokemon in any gen. And their evolutions (Marshtomp, Combusken, Swampert, Blaziken) were top notch.
The ground/water typing that the Mudkip had was really useful in making the game much easier, as it eliminated a typical vulnerability(electricity) that the water starter typical has.

Treeko was not so awesome...

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
Years
Treecko is my favorite. Followed closely by Mudkip, because his design is awesome, and then Torchic. That doesn't mean I dislike Torchic, but it was the first in a long line of Fire/Fighting starters. So I blame it for starting the trend.

Yeah if the Fire/Fighting trend ended with Torchic I would not of minded XD I do thik the typing fit for it though. I agree Mudkip has a awesome design :D

MirraJade

Kimono Girl
Years
Treecko for me I have played RSE so many times and can never bring myself to pick the other two I have nothing against them I just love Treecko so much more

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I don't really have any preference out of the three, but the Hoenn starters in general I like a lot. They're all adorable and fit well with the design of the region and other Pokémon. Of course it's kind of boring that Sceptile never gets a second type, but they did their best to fix that in ORAS by making his Mega a Grass/Dragon. Blaziken also seems to have started the trend of Fire/Fighting types that continued for 3 more games.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I voted for all three! Honestly, I love them all and don't have a bad memory with using any of them. Even now, I still have a hard time picking my starter, even when I'm doing a challenge and will quickly have to drop it haha.

Years
I used Mudkip the most out of them but I still have to appreciate all three collectively because their designs are a bit more simple than most starters but the fact all gain badass factor by their final stages proves the huge fan following this trio have.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
imo the hoenn starters are the best starters as a whole

they each remain interesting and fun to use and each were actually usable throughout the entire game. i feel like they represented the idea of a unique and tropical region well. the designs are pretty good throughout, although not a huge fan of mudkip's end result but its not horrid. also the introduction of blaziken aka the messiah in my book takes the cake

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
Treecko was my favorite and the starter I used the most. Grass type starters tend to be "meh" in my book apart from Bulbasaur and maybe even Snivy. I chose him first since I thought that Grass wasn't weak to both Fire and Water, giving me an advantage. Mudkip was one of my favorite Pokemon for a long time, mostly because I was part of the "i herd u liek mudkipz" train. I've outgrown that phase now, but I still like the line. Used Torchic the least, but I do like it as well.

Years
  • Seen May 21, 2022
So you heard I liek Mudkipz, eh? Just kidding. It was hard choosing which one I really liked, because like GSC, the starters were all very good. But I had to choose Mudkip.

I really liked this one, but I have a hard time choosing it or. Torchic over each other because I love both lines as a whole. Blaziken would easily win out because of it's Egyptian influence in its head covering looking similar to a Pharaoh's, like Ra. I would choose both of these lines together to be honest. I should like Treecko because it is a dinosaur based line, but it's still third. Not that it's bad, I just don't like the final form's look. Mudkip's type combinations and color schemes really appealed to me as a whole. that set it over the other two.

Years
I love Hoenn starters. Voted for Torchic, I do very much like Mudkip too. Treecko is my least favorite but I've warmed up a lot more to him since ORAS release. I think they are just as good starters as the first two gens.

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 31, 2016
Treecko is my favourite but it's a really tough choice. They all have great designs and great in battle. There's not one I dislike.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sageous

Xatu Lover
Years
In Sapphire I picked Mudkip and it was without question my favorite, so I never bothered using Treecko or Torchic until Emerald.

When I bought Emerald I used Treecko first and then Torchic in the next playthrough. I think they're all great, but Mudkip will always be my #1.

PokeTrekkie92

Gym Leader of Alabaster
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 13, 2022
On Pokemon Sapphire I chose Mudkip, as for Ruby and Emerald: Torchic and Mudkip(again)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
mudkip is cool, more specifically swampert.

blaziken has a fantastic design.

i dont hate sceptile, but i dont have any particular fondness towards its design either.

Years
Across the board, gen 3 is probably my favorite batch of starters. Mainly because if I were forced to pick any of the 3 I would be totally fine with whatever one I end up with. None of them in particular are my favorite starter of all, I just love the balance :)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 25, 2023
Gen 3 is by far my favorite, and honestly I have such a hard time picking a favorite starter between Mudkip, Torchic, and Treecko.

Back