• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What do you think of: torchic

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    As I said before, that is why I don't bother with DPP. Waste of a game. All it did is water down the metagame and cause confusion in Adv Gen. I admit I miss the WiFi feature, but that is all. I will also admit I like battling against someone who plays DDP a lot and thinks a move is physical when it is really special, or vice versa.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • Torchic and it's evolutions are a real STABber in the game, great Attack and Special Attack. They are the real assault-battle type pokemon I've ever used. The main problem is Speed and Defense, It can be easily wiped out with one powerful super-effective move. I also liked it's fluffyness and cuteness, and it's evolutions are way awesome.

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2010
    Torchic, or should I say Blaziken, doesn't bennifit at all from it's typing. Fire is not a good type, weakness to water and ground = epic failure in metagame. Fighting gives it more weaknesses, with really giving it any descent resistances. It's defenses aren't good enough to allow to last more than a turn or two in a metabattle, and it's not fast enough to get the first attack often enough to use it's mixed attacker abilities. Types it gets STAB attacks against aren't very common anyway. Grass, Bug, Rock are all fairly uncommon, Dark, Steel and, ummmm... Ice, I guess are useful. Blaziken is not better than charizard. Flying is way better than fighting, mainly because Charizard gets immunity to ground, one of fire's biggest Achilles heels.

Whoever said Swampert is overrated is a complete fool for reasons already stated.

oh, and it is cakewalk

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE TORCHIC COMBUSKEN AND BLAZIKEN....and for those people who hate em all...then I say watch out when MY blaziken beats you!!!!!!!

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    I don't like torchic's evolution, it's final form is weaker than all the other fire type starter's final form.

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
    Years
    • Age 34
    • US
    • Seen Feb 15, 2013
    Blaziken is a great pokemon to have b/c of his moveset ppl have told me a moveset with eartquake is ridiculous and for some reason their fire types still die in one hit the didnt put earthquake on and as for the deal with him being slow his attk is high and so is spatk so just do something about it instead of adding to atk add speed then their's no problem get a nature that hightens spd and lowers something thats unneeded like spdef b/c you arent going to battle a swampert with a blaziken thats just stupid

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    The reason Earthquake is stupid (and indeed it is), is because a STAB Sky Uppercut has almost the same coverage an Earthquake would. Use something else (like Swords Dance) to make the poor weak fire chicken more versatile.

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
    Years
  • I like the torchic line for in-game battles, but in the metagame I would have to go with Swampert. Blaziken just isn't good enough for link battles, since it is weak against pretty much everything your opponent has. The only times I ever use Blaziken are against people that have no idea how the metagame works or when I'm luring out a specific Pokemon. It gives my opponent a free kill, but it sets them up for sweeping :)

Years
  • I don't like torchic's evolution, it's final form is weaker than all the other fire type starter's final form.
    Time to prove you wrong.
    In terms of attack power, Blaziken is the best you can get of all the starters. With a base attack power of 120 and special attack of 110, it's the best there is.
    Here, is a side by side comparison.
    Blaziken:
    120, 110
    Charizard:
    84, 109
    Typhlosion:
    84, 109
    Infernape:
    104, 104

So, in contrast, Blaziken is the strongest of all fire starters.
    Watch your accusations.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Actually, Blaziken is the weakest. Not only does it have the standard Water/Ground weakness, it also receives a Psychic/Flying weakness. While it has more offensive firepower, there are just too many ways to OHKO it.

Charizard EX

Charizard EX
    Years
  • Shanecdavis is right, If you check pokemon.com's Pokedex and add all the stats, Blaziken will be the weakest and I think Charizard once again is the strongest Fire starter.

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
    Years
  • Shanecdavis is right, If you check pokemon.com's Pokedex and add all the stats, Blaziken will be the weakest and I think Charizard once again is the strongest Fire starter.
    You don't understand what they're saying. What they were talking about was the attack stat, not every stat added up. Blaziken's attack stat is higher than every other fire starter, including Charizard. So, in terms of attack, Blaziken is stronger. What Shanecdavis was saying was that Blaziken has horrible typing, and the weaknesses it possesses allow the other fire starters to outperform it.

Also, get a credible source. Pokemon.com's pokedex doesn't show numbers, only bars. Therefore, it is impossible to add up the stats and determine which is stronger with that. Cite Smogon or Serrebi if you want to prove that.

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
  • When I first played Sapphire, I chose Torchic..
    I'm pretty notorious for starting with fire types in a game first.
    But after some time, I decided to start over with Treecko, who I liked much better.
    I have yet to actually use Mudkip as a starter, but I do have one that I evolved up to Swampert, and it's serving me well. :]

I think Torchic is cute.. but I really don't like Combusken or Blaziken at all..
    So that's pretty much where I stand on that.

Rey Lewis 55

Baltimore Ravens Fan
    Years
  • Hello there. I like Torchic because it has a great speed rate and has a good attack rate. I don't like it when your facing the first gym leader but when you evolve it to Cumbusken and learn Double Kick, your team is pretty much on the dominating rate.

Back