• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What do you think of Unova as a whole?

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2012
    Although I didn't exactly love it, it was nice
    The region is a little small, and could be expanded, but it's okay, it brought a big number of new Pokemon, new graphics and more
    So basically, my view is, could be better but it's still good

SilverAbsol

Absol's Shadow
    Years
  • My problem with Unova was they tried to focus on post-game gameplay by only offering half the map to you during the main storyline. I never liked that about it because the trainers were too strong for my liking and it just discouraged me from playing it altogether.

From what I did explore though, I liked the region, especially White Forest <3

Anxiety's cut your blood Chasing all your ghosts
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2023
    I love the region despite of its size. The region has a unique shape compared to others :)

Markichuuuuu

YouTube LP'er :3
    Years
  • I liked that you get to travel through the rest of Unova only after beating the Elite Four. It gives you something to do post-E4 besides just a Battle Tower.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
    Years
    • Seen today
    I finished White in 6 days, and Diamond in 7, but that's only because I wasted time in the Underground with Diamond.

It didn't seem much shorter to me.
    One thing I noticed is that Routes, especially after Route 10, seem rushed. They just put a lot of tall mountains everywhere.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Unova's fine, overall, apart from its lack of water. Watery areas are always the best part of any region for me, and the distinct lack of them in Unova put it at a severe disadvantage in comparison to Kanto/Johto/Hoenn etc. I also didn't really like the schism between where you could go pre-E4 and post. I understand why it was done, but think that if the makers didn't want to capture pre-Gen V critters, there could have been a more organic way of doing so, rather than - essentially - halving where you could go before 'completing' the game. But apart from that, I don't really have many qualms with Unova.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • Except its Pokémon, I like almost everything in Unova.
    It's a beautiful region, each place is a feast for the eyes, there are a lot f improvements .
    Maybe it is a little short, unfortunately, but I like it anyway.

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2016
    unlike the other gens there were also interactions with the gym leader and rivals outside of the battle, which I really enjoyed. It gave them some more character (even if it wasn't a ton)

Did you even play HG/SS?

Anyway, I think that Unova was good while it lasted, which unfortunately wasn't very long, because the region was very small and linear. The whole game was also very easy, with the removal of stuff like poison hurting you out of battle, and TM's only being usable once. It felt as if the whole time you were just being shoved along a straight line with no opportunities whatsoever to branch off and explore at your own will. The fact that they had less HM's didn't help either. It's like they designed the whole game only focusing on the kind of people who just whizz through the game and spend their time EV training and battling online, and forgot about all the people who enjoy exploring and taking their time to discover everything there is to find.

Also, once you finished it, there was literally nothing to do. Sure there were 3 more towns, but one was only useful if you knew somebody nearby who played the game, one was completely empty, and in the other all you could do was battle Cynthia. It was like they completely gave up after the Elite Four. Also, the musicals were boring, the subway was boring, and there wasn't even a Safari Zone or Game Corner to spend your time in. So yeah, I think Unova was short, linear, easy, boring and restrictive, and unless they expand it in subsequent games, I don't think I'll ever buy a game that includes it again.

Renegade1

#1 Noob!
    Years
  • I don't think the size difference is nearly as big as some people say. I mean yeah, it's pretty small, but by no means is it tiny. There's plenty to do, and as plenty have said, even after beating the Elite 4, there's always something fun to do.

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2012
    I didn't like the linearity of the game. In Kanto, Johto, especially Hoenn, and Sinnoh there were roads linking multiple towns and cities together which added an element of realism (the world is not linear). With the lack of a safari zone, game corner, battle frontier, and surfable lakes and oceans this game feels almost incomplete (kinda like we are stuck in an infinite beta test session)...like windows vista.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Problem, it didnt give you a choice of which way to go. It was like a line.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Problem, it didnt give you a choice of which way to go. It was like a line.

I second this, it was a pain travelling through Castelia over Sky Arrow Bridge etc. just to get to a specific City I hope they change this in the third game although I don't see it happening. Other than that I can't really flaw Unova, it's a cultural Region which I like.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • I would've liked it more if it wasn't so short and straight forward... It's what past 4 regions had in commonality that made me like them in different ways.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I loved the game and the story and all the new pokemon and the rivals. But ya it is the most challenging game I have ever played in the main series of pokemon. It was a little small though. All and all it was one of the best pokemon games I have ever played. I hope the third game is a little longer and Anvil town really disappointed me.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • The region is fine. Nimbasa and Castelia are in fact two of the best cities the series has had to offer. The Entralink thingy in the center is kinda weird though. And for an "urban" setting, there are a surprisingly number of caves not to mention a huge desert. Didn't feel all that more "urban" to me outside of Castelia.

It's just a shame that it isn't populated with the best selection of Pokemon. Or trainers, for that matter.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2020
    The fact that Unova seems smaller, just suggests to me that the third game will have more places to visit.. rather than just use whats already there.

Years
    • Seen today
    It's pretty basic. The design is nice, and the cities have a lot to offer and are for the most part pretty interesting maps, but I don't like that it's basically just one track ring that you go around. Fly aside, you have to go through all the cities in order to get to the one on the other side of the region until you beat the Elite Four and unlock the other half. That's really boring, and suggests to me that they didn't have many ideas in that department. Then again, they probably thought it would be nice to have just a giant circle, but it just gives me the impression that they were either lazy or uninspired to create a more creative design for the region path.

Back