• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think the original pokemon games lack?

What do you think the original pokemon games lack? (red, gold, pearl...)

• The ability to change the flow of the story

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • play as the bad guy

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • the option to play as a third trainer besides the existing 2 trainers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • send all your 6 pokemons in an all out battle

• pokemons do not cripple when they are very low in health

• the option to have your pokemon(s) run around the fighting area taking advantage of the seroundings.

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • the option to take advantage of the opponent pokemon's "softspot" (ie: Charizard's tail)

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • the bad guys are too harmless

• better character development

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Passive skills

• a more tactical based gameplay.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • the option to launch direct strikes on trainers

• too many crappy skills that you will never have your pokemons learn

• a pokemon being able to learn more than 4 skills.

• Ride on a pokemon instead of a bicycle

• None of the above

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2009
    Well first off, I'm new and i don't know if this topic fits in here. This is yet another fan project, I'm not really requesting technical assistance... Just need you guys to tell me what do you think the original pokemon games lack. Thanks a lot in advance.

This project is currently just 1 week old, we have only 2 person in the team for now... and we already have the first part of the game engine alive and kicking. This project runs on Flash AS 3.0 and was scheduled to be released as a browser based game. We are making a drastic change on the combat system so... existing tactics might or might not work anymore... A large portion of existing moves are either removed revamped or renamed. (we might have already pulled off the whole thing in 1 week if we stick to the existing combat system) we don't have an official name for the project yet.

Last edited:

Waudby

If this is true, may we see some screen shots of the current system you have running, I think a lot of people will offer more ideas if they can see they will be put to good use.

Years
    Hmmm... That "drastic change to the combat system" does not sound very good. By that, I mean it sounds as if you are changing the battle system so it's easier to code. If you are making a Pokémon fangame, at least try to replicate the battle system to some extent, then change it if it becomes too tedious, time consuming, and difficult.

And coding it in Flash is probably not the best idea out there, either, but if it's easily accessible to you, then by all means, but the game will run significantly slower than if you were to make it in... say Sphere.

Back to the main topic, though, one idea I have had floating around in my head is the ability to have actual environmental bonuses when calculating damage. Rather than just having something like Secret Power, it would affect all moves.

Waudby

Hmmm... That "drastic change to the combat system" does not sound very good. By that, I mean it sounds as if you are changing the battle system so it's easier to code. If you are making a Pokémon fangame, at least try to replicate the battle system to some extent, then change it if it becomes too tedious, time consuming, and difficult.

And coding it in Flash is probably not the best idea out there, either, but if it's easily accessible to you, then by all means, but the game will run significantly slower than if you were to make it in... say Sphere.

Back to the main topic, though, one idea I have had floating around in my head is the ability to have actual environmental bonuses when calculating damage. Rather than just having something like Secret Power, it would affect all moves.

Actually making it in flash wouldn't make it too much slower than in Sphere, they practically use the same language (JavaScript and ActionScript both based around ECMAScript) so it would be more based on the users pc specs and internet connection.

The advantage to using Flash are there, it has a large user base and it can make some really nice games, take Kyledove's MMO for example that uses ActionScript and Flash.

@ Ashed_Dreams: I just checked out the links that you PM'ed me and the movement system looks like it's coming along nicely, but there's still a lot more work to do to it and also all the other systems to make.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2009
    Half right. It will rely more on critical/ tactical/ logical thinking compared to the original game. We r changing the battle system into something quite complicated to code. Our current concept on the combat system is easy to learn but hard to master. No spoilers yet, cause I'm 10 post away from being able to post urls here.

Yup... There is still a long way down.

Last edited:

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Generally a thread like this would be locked (as I feel a thread with a first post of that standard doesn't really fit in the sections yet). But judging from the feedback in this thread so far, I feel you have some members interested in what your working on.
    I'm also confused on what you are doing- a: advertising your game (if that's the case, do a thread in the plot and story idea space), or b: genuinely asking a question on what is lacking in the official games (which would be fine, but other then the thread title and poll, this steers away from).

So I'll leave it open to see how the thread goes...

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2009
    Half right. Just curious to know what other people think and if its worth developing the thing... and if yes which ones should be included and which ones should not. would have screen caps on asap.

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2023
    All of those ideas would be great to implement. You could do almost all of them; have to factor in time to complete each one and prioritize.

There are already a few other alternative battle system games being developed with similar ideas in the poll. However, those types haven't really got much support or feedback, so many may just want something akin to the original battle formula. It just depends on what you are going to do and how you'll differ from everyone.

Last edited:

zZRaoto

rawr?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2010
    I had this idea that Pokemon should be a fighting game and not a turn-based RPG game.

Somewhat like Super Smash Bros. After watching how the Pokemon moves are implied into that game then it just made me see my vision even more. The only thing is that it would require a lot of animations. If each Pokemon were to be able to learn every move possible that they can learn in the original games then you would have to make an animation for each more for every single Pokemon that can use that move. I don't know.....

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    It's a shame we can only choose one option to vote for, instead of multiple ones.

Because "a better plot" wasn't one of the options, I voted for "better character development". There's really just nothing to any of the characters in the game, no one changes their mind about anything or swaps allegiances, and that kind of thing doesn't make for a good story.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2009
    The only thing is that it would require a lot of animations. If each Pokemon were to be able to learn every move possible that they can learn in the original games then you would have to make an animation for each more for every single Pokemon that can use that move.

kind of right.

It's a shame we can only choose one option to vote for, instead of multiple ones.

I'm kinda new here... didn't know how to set the poll to enable multiple options.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2009
    What do you think the original pokemon games lack?

Some updates to keep this thing alive... Do tell me how much you love/ hate the sprite tiles. These tiles are not released for public yet...

Last edited:
    Years
    Actually making it in flash wouldn't make it too much slower than in Sphere, they practically use the same language (JavaScript and ActionScript both based around ECMAScript) so it would be more based on the users pc specs and internet connection.

The advantage to using Flash are there, it has a large user base and it can make some really nice games, take Kyledove's MMO for example that uses ActionScript and Flash.

@ Ashed_Dreams: I just checked out the links that you PM'ed me and the movement system looks like it's coming along nicely, but there's still a lot more work to do to it and also all the other systems to make.

You have to remember that Sphere has its own built-in interpreter, as compared to Flash, which calls a plug-in interpreter (which kind-of isn't optimized, by the way) through a web browser. It uses a bit more CPU power than Sphere, as well as RAM. And by the way, I would have already said something to Kyledove if the MMO he is working on was in a much lower state of development.

Anyway, the new tiles are pretty good. A little Kyledovey, but something I thoroughly expected (somewhat, at least). The first time I looked at them, I thought that the spriter was trying to put a lot of detail in them, but failed, and then I realized it's JPEG. The sides of the trees look a little cut off, though. It's okay if you make them a little wider than two tiles wide.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2009
    The first time I looked at them, I thought that the spriter was trying to put a lot of detail in them, but failed, and then I realized it's JPEG.

Mind if you elaborate a bit? So that i can improve from there. Well... actully i'm the spriter. The engine is currently optimized to show only "on-screen" tiles instead of moving a zillion tiles...

Years
    What I meant was that it looked like you were trying to use random browns in order to give the house texture. Since JPEG ruins the image quality by blurring the image, it gave that appearance. That's all I meant by it.

By the way, you might want to keep your screenshots as JPEGs. That way, no one can steal your sprites. Just warn people, though.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2009
    What I meant was that it looked like you were trying to use random browns in order to give the house texture. Since JPEG ruins the image quality by blurring the image, it gave that appearance. That's all I meant by it.

By the way, you might want to keep your screenshots as JPEGs. That way, no one can steal your sprites. Just warn people, though.

LOL... it's my 1st time spriting, so i don't really know what colors should i use.

Back