• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think this series could have done better in terms of fashion items?

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2016
    Personally, I understand fashion isn't the focus of this game. However, they had a few things that was close to great, but with some small flaws, it made the clothes lack luster. Personally for me:

- T-shirts were great, there's many ways one could match them, but the thing that killed it was that they all had pockets :((((((((((((

- I wish this game had at least 1 type of mono color circle skirt or ruffle skirt. The closest thing to it would be the type with flower print or the one with a line on it, which has a fixed white color.

- Having fixed color on some portions of a clothing item. For example, designer top, ruffle blouse, boarder flare skirt, flower print skirt always has white, the straps of tank top is always white(rather than the choice of 1 entire solid color tank). I think if you can decide the "primary color" of the clothing item and "secondary color" of the clothing(the flower print, the bow color....etc), these small things will make the fashion aspect perfect to me. If they can't, it's might be harsh to say, but I think they might be better off sticking with having all the clothes not have 2 or more separate colors if players can't decide the color. Make the clothes good enough on it's own with just 1 color.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Just having more kinds of clothing available would be nice. Now maybe there's something I'm not aware of or more stuff gets unlocked when you clear the main story or something, but i just got to the 4th island today, and so I assume I have all options available to me now, and it kinda feels like there's not a lot.

And I like having a lot. The more the better.

It's also slightly annoying that colors in the stores are split between the two versions. You can dye clothes all the colors, yes, but I really don't see why it needed to be like this in the first place, not to mention you need a dozen of more than one type of berry to actually dye an article of clothing.

The very limited amount of hair colors bothers me as well, especially the fact that I can't go redhead. All the other natural hair colors are there, why not that one?

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Now I get why Kukui is shirtless. {XD} The male options are pretty lacking in general. I get it's a tropical region, but it wouldn't hurt to have something aside from short pants and tank tops. Would have been nice if they included some cosplay outfits of famous NPC characters or trainer classes. Such a obvious thing to miss in a game were you can dress your character. It honestly feels like a step back from X/Y to me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2017
    They should have far more options. You should be able to get trainer class clothing items so you can look like an Ace Trainer or Rising Star if you like. All I wanted was a lab coat, because I know I'd be a Pokemon Professor.

Years
  • I think from the fact that when I'm in festival plaza the characters all look so different that there are plenty of options for hair/accessories/clothes I wish the shoes had something a bit more like some of the variation from x&y since the trainers all looked similar and I wasn't a fan of the sandals.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2024
    In terms of the actual designs of the clothes there are far less options than XY

Too many of the shirts are the exact same but with a different texture slapped on. Tropical region isn't an excuse for literally no long sleeve shirt option.

Years
  • I'm definitely with Nah's post there. Having the colours of clothes be version exclusive was a silly attempt by Game Freak to encourage people to use the dye stalls in Festival Plaza, which you mostly need berries for and it can be troublesome getting the colour you want without looking at a guide. It doesn't help the clothes are even more expensive than in X/Y, which was why I didn't buy them until the postgame.

Also as Nah said, the hair options are still limited. I'm also surprised there's a lack X/Y's orange hair (yet somehow we now have more options than X/Y) but at least this time I was able to get a hair colour close to my actual hair. As thedestinedblade said, Alola being a tropical region was also a silly excuse for all the clothing options to be limited to short sleeves, tank tops, and shorts (plus skirts for female players).

Oh, and did I mention that male players still have less options than female players?

User19sq

Females get all the different options compared to guys. But the fact that Alola's tropical also restricts fashion options. I've yet to find pants.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2017
    Generally, as with XY, the entire concept was lackluster and needed a lot more expansion and improvement than what it had. As well as additional options in terms of types of clothing and hairstyles and colour, I would have liked the opportunity to design my own clothing too, or share patterns etc. with friends, similar to Animal Crossing: New Leaf's use of QR codes - a feature that has already been implemented in the game as it is. Surely it wouldn't have been too difficult to have a design stall in Festival Plaza akin to the Able Sisters where you could make your own t-shirts, etc?

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I thought the clothes were really boring this time around. I think there were 4 clothing stores total? correct me if I'm wrong. Each store gave you about 4 or 5 different styles that were all fairly similar (aka pretty bland) in all the same colors. No dresses this time around for the ladies which was odd as Alola was a perfect opportunity for all kinds of dresses.

Also what was up with not being able to make an outfit without buying each piece?

Years
  • Everything, the Clothing and hair styles were not great.

I called my character Scarlet and was going to give her a red and black colour scheme influenced by Ruby from RWBY, what do I find no red clothing on Moon and no dying hair multiple colours(I really thought you would be able to give your trainer highlights, dunnu why I just thought they would do that).

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I really liked the color variety, but I wish the clothing were just as varied. Some pants (jeans at least, if we're going casual) would have been nice, and maybe some jackets and long-sleeved shirts? With the tropical theme, I would have expected flip-flops, more Hawaiian patterns, and maybe visors rather than just baseball caps (I used the male character on Moon; not sure what I'll do yet on Sun, but haven't had time to analyze all of the female clothing patterns yet). Customizing clothing more would have been nice, too. Also, I'm not a fan of restricting certain colors to certain games. I went with Moon as my main file in part because I really like blue, but I'm not that excited about having to hunt down blue clothing if I want it for my Sun file.

I may be in the minority in that I actually liked the clothing options themselves better in Sun and Moon than in XY, even if I didn't like the variety as much. As someone who mostly wears plain, colored t-shirts in real life, I didn't mind the t-shirt options, and it was nice to have some shorts that didn't look like capris this time.

I do wish we could cross-dress/mix and match outfits and/or hairstyles like in Animal Crossing. I don't know whether I would use the feature or not, but the character models seem pretty much the same, so it doesn't seem like it would be hard to implement.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2017
    I think gamefreak should implement this rule:

"Unless you can look like the coolest NPC(which so far to me is Gladion) the the customization still needs work".

If Gamefreak is going to bring Western RPG elements it's best they do it well.

However I like the shirt designs better. I mean like... I'm sorry I don't wear button ups and jackets all the time. So i consider the shirts/tanks better.

Back