• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] What do you want to see in Game Dev?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
  • I don't know if this is the thread to talk about that elitism attitude that some people have. I won't bring it up here.

But I'm wondering would there be a way for a mod to maintain a sticky thread with links to demos and releases of games?
    It would be up to the game developers to contact the mod with links via PM and inform the mod a release of their game is online. Then the mod would have responsibly of adding it to the sticky thread.
    My problem at the moment is finding games that are done. I think this could solve it.

the essentials wiki covers that https://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_fangames

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • While the wiki may cover that, a place here on PC would be nice, it could help new members avoid those unnecessary threads asking for a list.

Rossay

Quack quack
    Years
  • I think the forum structure as it is could be improved. I'm not sure having the strange nesting with the Lounge and Beginner's Showcase is particularly helpful, and people still don't know what the Lounge is meant to be for. Personally, I'd be happy to see it used for team recruitment and general questions, but I think that it already has a serious overlap with the main forum, the Help forum and the Beginner's Showcase. Defining its role better might help with some of the confusion.

As for resources, the fact that its forum is dominated by questions (people see "Help" and beeline) means that, although they're all there, it's very difficult to find. Perhaps having a "Resources" forum on its own would be better, and a dedicated "Help and General Questions"-type effort would be a better use of the Lounge.

I agree with Niknaks, a restructuring and de-nesting would make things clearer.

Also, if anything, I think the requirements for posting in the showcase forum should probably be raised. Imo, there are some projects there which are a little substandard and should be kept in the beginner's showcase to get some advice and help (but that might just be me being a little elitist).

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Perhaps part of the elitism and silly questions problems is that the newbies don't think it'll be hard. With a name like "ROM Hacking", if you know what that even means then you'll know there's work involved. However, "Game Development" sounds like something anyone with an "I wanna play all five regions!" attitude could do. After all, obviously the hard part in making a game is knowing what you want to make, and I wanna make all five regions!

I'm not suggesting a rename of the section. I am suggesting, however, that some guides on how to go about game-making be put somewhere in a place people will see them. You know, "get an idea, get software, learn software, plan out game, learn software, make maps, learn software, event maps, learn software, blah blah blah". Give them a way to get going, and it will not only show them how much there would actually be to do, but also tell them what they should be expecting at any given stage (i.e. they won't have demo within a week). With more realistic expectations, they may become "cooled down" and develop a more appropriate attitude towards their game, resulting in fewer daft questions (which are only asked because they're jumping ahead of themselves).

I mentioned elitism, and I think this would also be reduced by the guides. People who stick around after reading them and finding out how much there is to do will (should) gain some respect from everyone else, thus weakening the expert-peon gap (how can you deride someone if you respect them for their commitment?).

What GD really needs is a place to start from. Being a Pokémon site, we're bound to get all sorts of complete newbies coming in, and they've got nothing to look at to help them get started. It's fine even if this starting point is a collection of links to other places with better tutorials/software/ideas, but without a starting point people are just going to dive in at the deep end and get lost really quickly.

I should point out that the wiki only lists games that were made with Essentials. SPEE isn't in there, for example. The wiki itself is also out of the way, and people wouldn't expect to be going there to find out what GD has to offer. We would still want a stickied thread here listing the games with demos.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2014
    I don't know if this has been mentioned but i think we should have a Game of the Month like in the hacks showcase just for the game developement pages. like Game of the Month for beginners showcase and regular showcase and for each division is a voting for the nominations. to nominate you just suggest to a mod.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2014
    I don't know if this has been mentioned but i think we should have a Game of the Month like in the hacks showcase just for the game developement pages. like Game of the Month for beginners showcase and regular showcase and for each division is a voting for the nominations. to nominate you just suggest to a mod.

There already is one, but I don't know if Cilebra is continuing it or not.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2014
    ok. then maybe if it isn't being contiued, to continue it. But is it one for each section regular and beginners showcase?

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jan 10, 2012
    I second Maruno's point that the purpose of the main section is unclear. I'm fairly new to the forums, and I see that... the Beginner's Showcase is for games that have more or less just begun, and the Showcase is for games that are a lot further along the way and are complete/nearing completion... so what's the main section for?

So far I notice that it's incredibly bare. The Showcase should definitely stay separate, but I think the Beginner's Showcase could simply be de-nested into the main section.

Having a sticky with a list of completed games, aside from the one on the wiki is also a good idea. I'm with that one too.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • The main section should be used for general discussion on Game Dev.

I will be continuing Spotlight of the Month. I sort of forgot about it after the first one, but I've already got the nominees for the next one (february, obviously) so expect to see that soon.

Aaand, I thought I'd also mention that the Essentials section you've all asked for is finally here. Use that to post questions you have. Any thread made in any other section about Essentials will be moved to the Essentials section.

Years
    • Seen today
    I think a non-pokemon showcase would be cool.
    Why? There isn't a current Pokemon showcase. All showcase game threads suit pretty well into The Showcase. If they were to be split, you'd have a pretty dead non-pokemon related showcase section.

Rai Rai

Master of everything!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2012
    I think a non-pokemon showcase would be cool.

You seriously need to change your text colour from white. It doesn't seem like a good idea at all, pretty much all games in the showcase area are pokemon games, there's only a hand full of games that are none pokemon.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I should point out that the wiki only lists games that were made with Essentials. SPEE isn't in there, for example. The wiki itself is also out of the way, and people wouldn't expect to be going there to find out what GD has to offer. We would still want a stickied thread here listing the games with demos.
    The wiki lacks people contributing, Maruno made at least 50% of the content. Few people are updating this list, and only the respective creators. In internet I know at least 8 Essentials completed games, the people need to search more...
    Anyway, the Essentials make lots of success beyond the PokéCommunity in several languages, so creating a fix topic with the PokéCommunity complete games can make a remarkably different list, that is a good factor for making this topic.

Why? There isn't a current Pokemon showcase. All showcase game threads suit pretty well into The Showcase. If they were to be split, you'd have a pretty dead non-pokemon related showcase section.
    The fact that Showcase isn't pokémon exclusive can be more clearer in the description, no?

Years
    • Seen today
    The fact that Showcase isn't pokémon exclusive can be more clearer in the description, no?
    I don't see why it wouldn't be clear.
    Games with a good amount of progress are posted here. Post your project here if you believe you have enough progress or to browse the projects made by fellow members.
    Doesn't say anything about pokémon related games. I don't feel that needs to be clarified. I think if people read the description to begin with they would realise this. I'm open to interpretation however, I implore you to press your suggestion if you have more to add.

xdanx

But you can call me Dan :)
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2012
    Let's face it, it would be great to see a really huge "READ THE RULES BEFORE YOU POST" link. I guess you can figure out why lol

Also, it would be interesting a "Team recruitment" section, so we don't have to see closed "LFT" threads almost daily.

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I agree with something similar at Hack of Year (Game of Year). Undoubtedly The Showcase has games to make a cool competition at least one time by year!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back