• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What does "2" mean?

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    Black 2 and White 2?!?!

Looks like Game Freak is pulling Square-Enix on Pokemon Black and White by starting a branched sequel just like Final Fantasy XIII-2.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • I have to admit, although the first thing that sprang to mind was "oh god FF X-2 all over again", BW did leave a lot of things unanswered.

Hopefully, some more info after PokeNobu's released.

Raichupacabra

Villain
    Years
  • I'm hoping the 2 means it's an actual sequel. What if it was just a third version but from Black/White's point of view? We need at least an overworld screenshot to confirm all of this.

arbok

cobra pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    hmm I don't know what to think.
    Part of me thinks it could be a place holder name but at the same time that's just lazy and the name 'grey' seems logical for a third Black and White version.
    I'm going to take it as a third version like Emerald or Crystal for now so that I'm not disapointed if everyone talks about a whole new story/region and it's not.

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
  • HeartGold and SoulSilver essentially had all of Crystal's extra features, meaning there was no room for a 3rd installment to be made. Black and White left not TOO much room in terms of graphics and features (imo), but the storyline definitely left enough room for a sequel.

I would actually prefer a pair of sequels over a single enhanced remake like what was done in the past, just because of how advanced all of the features are now. For example, Gold and Silver didn't have animated sprites and the player couldn't choose a female character -- so they made Crystal to add the features they thought were missing. In this case, there aren't any obviously missing features.. at least in my mind. I'm not sure if they're planning on still releasing a "Gray" version, but if not, this is my preferred alternative. :o)

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    The way the game ends does seem to hint at a sequel, with the whole "N going elsewhere and Ghetsis escaping" thing. Though, I just feel it'd be odd to have direct sequels within the same region. Perhaps they'll add another region in a similar fashion as G/S did with the second generation? Or maybe they'll add Hoenn and we'll get the chance to visit that region again, doubtful though (that wouldn't really add up to a real 'remake' of the third gen titles, and that would ultimately be a loss of money for Nintendo.)

All I'm really hoping for though is that this isn't just a "third game" split in two. That would be utterly disappointing and completely unnecessary.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It could be set in Hoenn but with some Black & White storyline tied in with RSE for example, N's travelled to Hoenn or something along those lines, it a long shot but we just don't know any background to these games yet.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • the name is certainly intriguing. GF had been creative with names before but now? adding a simple '2?' That is certainly suspicious at the very least.

worst case scenario: it is the same BW again, with the Kyurem formes as the legendary instead of Yinyang.

Years
  • I'm not sure; it's the first time two games are going to be released as a 'third game', so I'd like to see what differences there'll be between them. A return to Hoenn would be nice, but I'd rather have the remakes.

zlip

______
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2013
    Personally I really hope those are just working titles. Just adding "2" at the end seems kinda lazy *Cough*supermariogalaxy2*cough*. I doubt its a new reigon as with most new regions come 100+ new pokemon and a new generation and Generation 5 can not be over that fast. I think it'll be exactly like emerald except with slightly altering storylines from each other (White=You catch Zekrom, Black=You catch Reshi) and a similar but different plot from the riginal two games (Gehitsist tries to control all 3 rather than one, and you have to stop him etc...)

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • When I see that there isn't a third game, one that combines the other two for a somewhat special edition, it makes me think that the game will at least have a new story, one that continues from the end of Black and White. Because why have a special edition for each side and not combine them like they have in the past otherwise? Also, it did seem as though the end of Black and White never really showed what happened with some characters. Specifically N and Ghetsis.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
  • People that don't think 2 is quite creative enough really need to think about how dramatic it is in a main stream title. I'm sure a fair amount of discussion went into if it should actually be called that, I'm sure they figured we'd speculate quite a lot more if they did, so in the end it looks like a smart move just to mess with us. Same for the ruby / sapphire looking things behind the logos.

If it is a sequel and we get a new hero, I'm really hoping it doesn't continue along the path of design it's been on. ;.;

Anyways, yeah, hopefully it's got hoenn involved, I'd love to see Steven in it as a sort of "Red" final boss.

salmence33

I'm out here
    Years
    • He/him
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    The 2 is implying that it's a whole new adventure, so I'm expecting a kind of a Colosseum/XD result from this. It could be the same region, same pokemon, but a new character, new destinations, and a new plot line that relates to the previous.

Years
  • That's weird, they never made a direct sequel before.
    Also, what's the deal with "2"? They ran out of names, or something? It's like calling Fire Red "Pokemon Red 2". What is it, Rambo? They could just call the games "Darkness Black" and "Pure White".

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    There are tones of possibilities, but then there is also the feeling that these could both just be two third games instead. I'm hoping for either a new region, a direct sequel to Black and White (which seems like quite a lot of people are picking up) or maybe something no one has thought of yet. ;.;

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
  • A lot of people have brought up the possibility of Hoenn, but straight RS remakes released six months after B2/W2 are far more likely. Why would a sequel to "a new world filled with never-before-seen Pokémon" take place anywhere other than Unova?

Of course, we don't even know if these are sequels or not. We could have our first ever international fourth version, or we could even have prequels.

If these are sequels, I'd look for a G/S/C feel to it. You'd start in a newly introduced part of Unova, and the plot would start tying into the plot of B/W around halfway through.

If these are the equivalent of a third version, I'd expect gym rematches, a Battle Frontier, and the rest of the usual third version stuff. We've all figured out by now that N would get Reshiram and Zekrom, the player has to catch Kyurem, yadda yadda yadda.

In the extremely unlikely event we get our first prequels in series history, we'd get to see N's backstory and (probably) the identity of his real parents. That would be better left to fanon.

Regardless of what B2/W2 actually are, I'd also expect Keldeo and Meloetta to be event-catchable (similar to Deoxys in FR/LG/Emerald) now that they're revealed. Possibly Genesect as well.

As for the identities of the Shadow Triad... I'm predicting that they are NOT the Striaton trio, since that would massively derail the anime, which hasn't even introduced Team Plasma yet.

If the ST does not exist in the anime, and only in the games and the various manga, I could see this working out, though. Adventures/Special dropped a pretty huge hint that the rumor is true in that canon.

Finally, Mewtwo will be catchable despite the current Wi-Fi event's existence, UNLESS there are another set of R/B remakes which I can't really see happening until 2014 in Japan. Speaking of which... happy birthday, Pokémon. 16 years since Red and Green...

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • If it was a remake it would just be named grey, or something along the lines. But giving it '2' gives it sequel status. Which it probably is. The pre-release banner mentions an incredible new adventure, not blah blah new features etc. Bottom line, yes, it's a sequel.

Back