• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What does "2" mean?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • Again saying something is obvious hasn't gotten us anywhere this generation... Maybe Game freak just wanted to try something new by making two third versions and adding an expanded story line...
    I do hope that they're sequels though, it'll be nice to have direct sequels instead of just slightly fixed versions of the previous.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It could like people are saying just be two third games, one with the features from Black & features for white assigned to each game, i.e White Forest in White 2 & Black City in Black 2 but with the usual extra third game features and some storyline changes.

Years
  • I'm tempted to go along with the FF train of thought.

I think this will follow on in Unova leading on in the storyline. As part of the storyline the region will have had some major changes to freshen up the action from the original B/W.

I hate to think were this could lead, R2/B2, G2/S2, R2/S2, D2/P2... could ruin everything made prior to it. I prefer the tried and tested format for releasing pokémon games.

SK3

Pokemon Hacking Company™ CEO
    Years
  • I'm not sure if these games are direct sequels or just BW revamps, but I think it's strange that Nintendo is doing this. GSC was a direct sequel of RBY, yet it took place in a different generation, so it seems that they are trying to expand Gen V. A Grey version would've just been better, I think, but making Black 2 and White 2 = more profit, so I guess these should be treated as a Grey version, just with two different legendaries. I need more info though, before I make a final opinion.

Also, this means RSE remakes next year and Gen VI in 2014-15!

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • I'm not sure if these games are direct sequels or just BW revamps, but I think it's strange that Nintendo is doing this. GSC was a direct sequel of RBY, yet it took place in a different generation, so it seems that they are trying to expand Gen V. A Grey version would've just been better, I think, but making Black 2 and White 2 = more profit, so I guess these should be treated as a Grey version, just with two different legendaries. I need more info though, before I make a final opinion.

Also, this means RSE remakes next year and Gen VI in 2014-15!

Um, why? What is wrong with expanding Generation V? Everyone thinks they've ran out of new Pokemon design ideas anyways (which is completely ridiculous). Doing a direct sequel gives them so many possibilities. Of course whether they take advantage of that is still up in the air but they appear to be trying. It's funny to me how so many people want remakes, or a next generation; new pokemon, new region and all the like but then as soon as they get it, they dislike it cause it's not what they were expecting, or it isn't the 'same'.

If this is some money grab third version I'll be significantly disappointed but there isn't anything, to me, that suggests it will be. You don't throw "2" in a title unless it is the "second" in a series. I'm stoked and hope when more info is released more and more people will share that excitement.

Cazzef

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • I think its definately a sequel, I can't imagine it being a 'directors cut', the idea of a new adventure has me thinking are we going to travel Unova again?

Nash Bandicoot

Dingodile use Flamethrower!
    Years
  • I am convinced it will be a sequel as they are making TWO games, why waste money making two games when they could just keep the tradition and make it pokemon grey? No, I think in breaking that tradition it will be something big and different to the normal 3rd version. Also, I do not think there will be new pokemon, maybe new forms or a possibility of fusion pokemon, but not new ones. I think the game will be set in Unova, but maybe an expansion of the region. I am hoping that it is set after b/w and continues with the story, maybe team plasma regrouping and expanding on their plans.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    My theory the entire story and franchise of Black & White felt unfinished from the beginning, so I feel like "2" is them finishing that. I think they're going to add on to the story, region, and Pokédex. If they weren't, I wouldn't see the point of them making TWO brand new ones instead of just one.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • I so hope this isn't just a third version. I never got on board with the "play the same adventure - but a little bit different!" kind of thing. Also, the description "whole new adventure" makes me think sequel. I hope it's sort of like G/S/C, in the future, to tie up all those loose plot elements. It may be a bit much to expect a new region or new pokemon, but a lot of elements of Black and White felt sadly underused.

Only time will tell however, I hope we get some new information soon.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • I'm pretty certain that this will be a direct sequel, and will involve N and whichever region he went to. I don't think it's a coincidence that the mascot for the games is the same Pokémon that N escaped with, along with the fusion with Kyurem of course. How this will play out remains to be seen.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm starting to wonder weather it actually is a sequel or just two third games, the fact that they're releasing it much earlier than expected makes me think otherwise.. It could be a mixture of both.

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
    Years
  • Honestly, I was never a huge Gen V fan.
    However, I'm getting pretty excited.

I think the fact that it is Pokémon Black 2 and Pokémon White 2 means that they are sequels. I don't really like what they're doing with it, throwing off the usual pattern of two games then a third (with some remakes thrown in since Gen III), but if it's a good game, it's a good game, is it not? And, honestly, I also feel like they could have done a bit more with B/W, like explain what happens to Harmonia (♥). Maybe they'll do that in the remakes.

Truths and ideals.
    The epic legend continues on.
    :cer_boogie::cer_boogie::cer_boogie::cer_boogie::cer_boogie::cer_boogie::cer_boogie::cer_boogie::cer_boogie::cer_boogie::cer_boogie::cer_boogie::cer_boogie::cer_boogie:

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I think it means the games will be sequels. Pokémon Black and White left us with some mysteries and questions that needed answers, and B2 and W2 will surely answer them. It may be that it will be similar to Gold and Silver being a sequel to Red and Blue but instead still being set in Unova. It's way too early to introduce a new generation of Pokémon.

infersaime

Come and get me
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Online now
    I think it are sequels after all Gen V is not like the previous gens.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2020
    I honestly have no clue why everyone is bashing the fact that the SEQUELS' names are *Insert Game* followed by a 2. If they would've put ShiningWhite, ShadowBlack, or whatever, then people might've thought they were just remakes or remasters of Black and White. Adding the number 2 gives a clear indicator to everyone (Even moms buying it for their kids) what it is... a sequel to Black and White.

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
    Years
  • I think it means the games will be sequels. Pokémon Black and White left us with some mysteries and questions that needed answers, and B2 and W2 will surely answer them. It may be that it will be similar to Gold and Silver being a sequel to Red and Blue but instead still being set in Unova. It's way too early to introduce a new generation of Pokémon.

Yes, exactly this.
    B/W seemed a bit to opened/incomplete. That annoyed me a bit. I figured the third game would tie it all together a bit more so that it makes sense. I guess that is what the sequels are. :)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    The '2' could possibly mean two save files, for the first time ever. Think about it, sequel. new locations, more exploring, two times, differing events?

I'd love that, but why when there are two games instead of just one? Wouldn't it be like... easier just to buy the two/make profit better that way?

Back