• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Exactly Is A Fairy-type?

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen today
    Grass types are PKMN that are connected to plant-life.
    Fire types are PKMN that can manipulate fire.
    Water types can breathe underwater.
    Bug types are insects.
    Steel types are made of metal.
    Dark types are PKMN that vicious and lurks in the dark (most of them at least).
    ...and so on and so forth...

But what exactly is a Fairy type?
    And what makes a PKMN a fairy type?

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I suggest you look through the text given here:
    https://saiph-charon.deviantart.com...6198501?q=gallery:Saiph-Charon/10545701&qo=11

And then move on to the updated chart here:
    https://saiph-charon.deviantart.com...07598092?q=gallery:Saiph-Charon/10545701&qo=0

That would end your concerns on how to "define" a Fairy type Pokémon as a Fairy type.
    Anyway, I concur with what the guy in the link says about Fairy types being mystical humanoid creatures that look thin and feminine, like fairies, pixies, elves and the likes. In fact, any creature that is "cute" and looks magical can be considered for fairies. Mystical power and myths itself are highly suggested to be taken under consideration. For example, Celebi, Jirachi, Victini, Manaphy and Mew can be obviously considered fairy because they fit into this category even though they aren't quite so "feminine and humanoid". That's because they've still got the cute and mystic powers part. It helps if they don't have physical bulk or size, too. That's one reason why the Uxie Mesprit Azelf trio are also good candidates for Fairy.

This doesn't mean my word is law and that's the end of it, though. I'm sure other valuable opinions exist.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    i don't think they should be necessarily humanoid, look at klefki, even xerneas for instance.

and does anyone consider granbull cute? hes fairy type too, and cute is not really the general consensus for granbull. Although i would say most fairy types are cute, the likes of togekiss, azumarill, sylveon would bring a smile to anyone faces (at least if you are using them lol)

weakness to steel (not sure of this, maybe this represent knights in fairytales?) and poison (like how poison is a common tool to kill good characters in fantasy/fairytales)

look at some of the moves they use...geomancy, moonblast, dazzling gleam, draining kiss. their common association would be magic

so probably them being mystical/magical/fantasy beings is the best description for them. can't wait for that fairy/dragon type pokemon to come.

Last edited:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    i don't think they should be necessarily humanoid, look at klefki, even xerneas for instance.

and does anyone consider granbull cute? hes fairy type too, and cute is not really the general consensus for granbull. Although i would say most fairy types are cute, the likes of togekiss, azumarill, sylveon would bring a smile to anyone faces (at least if you are using them lol)

look at some of the moves they use...geomancy, moonblast, dazzling gleam, draining kiss. their common association would be magic

so probably them being mystical/magical beings is the best description for them. can't wait for that fairy/dragon type pokemon to come.

Pretty much what I said, yeah.

But Granbull is an exceptional case here because I can totally imagine Snubbul being a fairy. It's way more fierce so Fairy/Dark would have fit it had it had darker skin or menacing eyes.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Granbull should be Fairy/Dark :D Otherwise, it's probably because Snubbull is classified as the "fairy pokémon" (iirc) that it gained the Fairy type now.

I think fairies are something that could come out from a Kingdom Hearts tale. Like, Klefki is a great example. Has to do with medieval, magical sorcery and mystery. Not at all in the same spooky sense as Ghosts do, and not in the superior-intelligence and mental-power way of Psychic. More like, fairytale stuff. Like a set of mysterious keys, or a bull dressed as a princess pretty much :p

But also pokémon resembling literal fairies, such as Celebi, Jirachi and the lake trio. I don't know if any of those changed types, but Grass/Fairy, Steel/Fairy and Psychic/Fairy should be their respective typings imo!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Granbull should definitely be part fairy-type. And so should Milktank. It's got a lot of physical features that, in my opinion, make it look like a fairy—its eyes, its tail, its chibi legs, and more. If they ever give this Pokémon a mega evolution form, then they should make it grow a pair of those cute, little fairy wings maybe, and perhaps make its horns form into the shape of a crown. How awesome would that be? xD

Anyway, in real life, most of us consider fairies to be small, magical creatures, who sometimes resemble a real human. Fairy-type Pokémon are the same, but they're not always small, though; fairy-types come in many different shapes, sizes, and forms.

So far, my favorite fairy-type would have to be Dedenne. It's small, friendly, and extremely cute-looking. I just love it. :) Slurpuff is my second favorite. This Pokémon reminds me a lot about Smeargle. I'm not exactly sure why, though. Maybe it's because of the way that it's got its tongue sticking out? Haha. Aromatisse is one of my favorites, too. Its eyes look very pretty to me, and the shape of its mouth is simply adorable!

Last edited:
    Years
    Yeah it's more mystical magic versus psychic chi-energy. They tend to be cute. Granbull is actually a cute Pokemon, it's just a play on a scary looking exterior.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    I'm really sick of Fairy types. Already. The fact that they're pretty much good against every single decent type makes them out to be this Jesus type.

But as for the actual origins, I see it like this:

Psychic-type: Mental power and intelligence
    Dark-type: Dark power and cunning
    Fairy-type: Light power and magic

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    Dragon busters...
    That's probably the most fitting description.

*grumble* Don't I know it...

We would've have had this problem if they didn't invent so many uber dragons with ridiculous stats. The Dratini line was good enough for me, and Kingdra was the only GSC addition. But starting with RSE we got so many overpowered dragons that they were just begging to be taken down a notch.

And now we get fairies with immunity to dragon moves. An unprecedented nerf -- stronger than the nerf psychics got in GSC.

I'm actually curious what, lore wise, would make fairies immune to dragon and so strong against them. I agree that they're essential cute, magical, fantasy creatures: literally the kind of things you'd see in fairy tales. Now, in fairy tales, dragons are usually evil. So I get that connection, but in Pokémon lore, dragons are mythical, mystical creatures... or at least they used to be until we got the more "monster" looking ones.

Years
    But as for the actual origins, I see it like this:

Psychic-type: Mental power and intelligence
    Dark-type: Dark power and cunning
    Fairy-type: Light power and magic
    Elgyem hit it exactly how I was looking at it, as sort of a counterpart to Psychic and Dark types. It could almost be considered the Light type that numerous people were hoping to get for a long time, but probably more accurately named (considering Dark type doesn't refer to their appearance, but more of a dark/evil/cunning personality).

And the more I think of it like that, the less I have a problem of Pokemon like Whimsicott, Granbull and Mr. Mime who may not really seem like Fairy types at first glance (though, it will be hard to get used to Mr. Mime's change above all the others in my eyes).

Back