• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What exactly IS a Pokemon Master?

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    You know, this Anime has had nearly 600 episodes, and the show never really explained what a Pokemon Master is, or what the requirements are for becoming one. I figured that since the plot of the show is centered around Ash trying to become one, shouldn't we know what one is?

Your thoughts?

HeavensNightSH

Got Diamond Nov. 20
    Years
    A Pokemon master needs to know how to battle, how to use strategy, know his Pokemon, and befriend them. Right? =D

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Thinking about it carefully, they never really mentioned it :\.

It's probably just a title given if you win all world-wide official Pokemon Leagues and Elite 4. You are congratulated, then forgotten the next year like an old doll replaced by the new one.

If I missed something, remind Chuck Norris to stalk me.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    A Pokemon master needs to know how to battle, how to use strategy, know his Pokemon, and befriend them. Right? =D
    Yes, you are correct, but it also depends how strong your pokemon are too like Gary for an example because I think he is a pokemon master. lol

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I always held the belief that to be a Pokémon Master, you have to be the Champion of the Elite Four and you have to catch every single Pokémon.

That is Ash's dream, after all.

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
    Years
    I always held the belief that to be a Pokémon Master, you have to be the Champion of the Elite Four and you have to catch every single Pokémon.

He has to catch every single Pokemon yet he has seen how many legendarys and never caught a single one.

They were even injured and he would rather be the good guy.

ASH = EPIC PHAIL.

I think this should be in the Anime forum because we are starting to talk about Ash.

Plant360

Da shizz!
    Years
    They never seemed to really say what a pokemon master exactly was. I always thought that it was the title you got after beating the elite four, because beating them basically implies that your good, and maybe good enough to be a master. It also might have something to do with completing the pokedex.

And 4th Gen Matt, we aren't talking about Ash, we're talking about being a pokemon master. Just 'cause we mentioned Ash, doesn't mean we should have the topic moved...

Years
    Hmm...

Even then shouldn't we also consider one to be a Contest Master in order to really understand all the faculties of the Pokemon World. One must also take the job of a Ranger to bond with nature in an intimate way. Also taking up a later career as a reasercher and proliferate knowlege obtained during ones "journey" to understand the Pokemon World.

Yeah I know I'm getting a bit complex and making the task harder. But one must look past the superficial aspect of tne PM world since how can one truly understand the Pokemon World if you only look through the lens of a Trainer and collector?

Heh...I like to analyze childish things. ^_^

Lukespade

Poke'mon Author
    Years
    well...

its kinda the same thing as ultimate master of power or wateva in DBz... there is no such thing there is always someone more powerful. i jst dont thnk there is a pokemon master and if there is, he wouldnt battle. because if a pokemon master is suppose to be all wise and powerful not only would he not have a reason to fight but he'd know that fighting is pointless evn thought their world REVOVLES around pokemon battles

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Somebody with a magical pikachu that can hit ground types with electric attacks?

No?

Then I'm fresh out of ideas =]

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    XD i love gofres example. Lets not forget its the magical pikachu who can hit grass types and win!
    Anyway yeah its to become a powerful trainer to collect all the little slave animals be the best you can and feel what a pokemon feels and become one with the little slave animal.

b7astoise

GrinchGod
    Years
    um could it be someone who has all knowledge of pokemon..(sounds like a pokemon professor) lol or like being a master in breeding, battling, and knowing all the pokemon...idk

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I believe a Pokemon Master is one who need to be strong not only physically on the battle field but also mentally, along with being one with your pokemon and back them up when they are down...A pokemon master does not need to capture every single pokemon ( collector's goal only...lol) but he must achieve what many dream of...and that my friend's is what Ash will become ( In the far future, of course)

As for me, I am still learning as I go to not only be a pokemon master but a contest master as well...

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2011
    I always thought catching all the pokémon would net one the title. Or did I just imagine that?

Anyway, the discussion bares to mind the story of Blue (Green? the male rival...) in the Pokémon Special Manga: where he recounts through understanding of power and mastery of struggle within oneself and ones mind that impossible is not unachievable.

Then his Scyther goes all Ghost-Dog on some lady's (Agatha IIRC) Haunter, lol.

Anyways, transcending the normal capabilities of pokémon through understanding of bonds seems to be the true master of battle in this world. Maybe just understanding that is to be a Master.

This bares to mind Ash's almost telempathetic connection with Pikachu, and Blue's mastery of his pokémon in Pokéspe.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    In its humblest sense, "Pokemon master" could simply refer to a trainer. Exactly like how a dog has its master, a Pokemon does.

But as I said in the last thread about this (which is, incidentally, only about a month or two old), the notion of becoming a Pokemon master is simply a plot device used to keep Ash circling the world in perpetual motion.

And remember people, Champion —not master— is the title you get for beating the Elite Four.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I doubt it a real "thing" it more of a Self title I suppose... I mean You are suppose to to catch, Train, and Befriend pokemon...
    I suppose if you do all this you can have the "right" to be called a pokemon master..

Phatkav

Zero Creativity
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2021
    I will take a random guess and say it's someone who has access to a huge amount of Pokemons, is actually a skilled battler, have beaten every Gym Leader and Elite 4 ,and finally have defeated the current Pokemon Champion.

~~Blitz~~

Blitz Flare
    Years
    I'd have to say, for the Anime, someone who constantly run arund the globe pointlessly looking for new Pokemon and battling Gym Leader and such.

Because when the next PKMN Gen comes out, if they make one, the whole thing will happen again, and Ash will go to anther region and battle every Trainer and catch the Pokemon actually worth catching.

If they don't make a 6th Gen, ever, then the series will be left on a cliffhanger to as what Ash does next and where he goes.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    In my opinion a Pokemon Master is someone with a complete and working knowledge of Pokemon be it: breeding, training, battling, befriending.

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    In my opinion a Pokemon Master is someone with a complete and working knowledge of Pokemon be it: breeding, training, battling, befriending.

In other words the Anime can't really be resolved under the goal of Pokemon Master, right?

Back