• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What features did you think would be within the games but actually weren't?

Did you wish

• Total voters

TheMarkCrafter

roses are red, violets are blue, i used to break r
Years
  • BACK TO POKEMON BLACK AND WHITE

Well, like the title says. I thought that Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu/Unown will be at the Unova/Ishuu Dex. What do you think of new features?

Last edited:

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    Why would they be in the Unova dex? Unova is far away from the other regions :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I was surprised with the lack of the Safari Zone. It's pretty much a staple of the series.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • No rematch feature for gym leaders.
    No Vs. Seeker
    No Safari Zone was a pleasant surprise for me.
    No poketch/Pokegear style utility device. Instead we get a device that's really only useful at anime/gaming cons.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I thought the Vs. Seeker, evolved forms of old Pokemon and gym rematches would be in B/W, but they didn't happen.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Pretty much what as mentioned above, i thought that there will be a Safari Zone and a VS Seeker. I was hoping to see more Rotation and triple battles in Pokemon Black and White

:t354:TG

Caranciio

Doof?
    Years
  • I definitely expected to see the Pokemon following you around. It was in HeartGold and SoulSilver, so why not put it in Black/White? It's not like the fans would have disliked it, I'm pretty sure everyone loved that feature.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    I definitely expected to see the Pokemon following you around. It was in HeartGold and SoulSilver, so why not put it in Black/White? It's not like the fans would have disliked it, I'm pretty sure everyone loved that feature.

Pokemon following you around is a selling point of Heart Gold / Soul Silver. Since those two games are still in production, it makes more sense to exclude it from Black / White to maintain Heart Gold / Soul Silver sales.

Based on all the screenshots, I expected them to break away from the tile-by-tile movement. Is a shame they've stuck to it.

Caranciio

Doof?
    Years
  • Pokemon following you around is a selling point of Heart Gold / Soul Silver. Since those two games are still in production, it makes more sense to exclude it from Black / White to maintain Heart Gold / Soul Silver sales.

Based on all the screenshots, I expected them to break away from the tile-by-tile movement. Is a shame they've stuck to it.

It could also be a selling point for Black/White. I feel like people are gonna buy Heart Gold and Soul Silver anyway because they're remakes of an old favorite. Besides, it came out a year before Black/White so it sold a lot already. HG/SS sales still would have maintained sales due to the fact that it's a remake of Johto, which is most people's favorite region.

I also thought that the movement would be different as well. The videos and screenshots released before the game makes it look a lot different, especially the shots of Castelia City.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I GOT WHAT I WANTED!

With every generation of Pokemon, many fans that want to play the game make a Wish list of ho they want the next Generation of Pokemon to be like. Sometimes these wishes are realistic while others aren't; but e still make these wishes regardless. This thread isn't about "What you wish for the 5th generation" because the 5th generation is here already. This thread is also not a "What you wish for the 6th generation" because that is not this either. The questions are:

What did you wish for the 5th Generation of Pokemon Black and White to have or be like?

If you wished for 5th Generation stuff, Did it come True?

As for me, I wished for 3D Pokemon Battles and for the towns, Routes, Cities to have more of a 3D look and I got that wish. I also wished for a Battle Frontier that had 7 facilities in it (like it did in Pokemon Emerald)

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    With every generation of Pokemon, many fans that want to play the game make a Wish list of ho they want the next Generation of Pokemon to be like. Sometimes these wishes are realistic while others aren't; but e still make these wishes regardless. This thread isn't about "What you wish for the 5th generation" because the 5th generation is here already. This thread is also not a "What you wish for the 6th generation" because that is not this either. The questions are:

What did you wish for the 5th Generation of Pokemon Black and White to have or be like?

If you wished for 5th Generation stuff, Did it come True?

As for me, I wished for 3D Pokemon Battles and for the towns, Routes, Cities to have more of a 3D look and I got that wish. I also wished for a Battle Frontier that had 7 facilities in it (like it did in Pokemon Emerald)

Seeing as your topic and this thread have very similar discussion going on, I've merged the two! ;)

To be on topic, I don't remember quite what I wished for besides the obvious, improved features (like the battling system), and many of those came true. During the early beginning I expected the following feature to be included again, but that never happened unfortunately. u_u;

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    No Vs Seeker
    No Pokéutility
    No Safari Zone
    No Rematching system.

no Follow me :'( I thought and wanted it to be in. fml. -.-

Years
  • No Game Corner, Battle Frontier (well, there's the Battle Subway, but I don't feel any sense of accomplishment just by being there since you can go there fairly early into the game), Safari Zone, or actual Contests. Also, your Pokemon can no longer obtain Ribbons.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    ^ I kind of liked collecting ribbons for my Pokémon, it gave challenges a little extra prize. Sad to see them continue no longer.

Contests were another thing I was hoping for as well (and maybe to have the style made a bit like the anime had it). Instead they brought in Pokémon Musicals. n_n;

Azure Wish

Haha. No.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2012
    The only things that really surprised me were no Safari Zone, no VS Seeker, and no Pokemon walking behind you. I would say the Game Corner too, but that was because of the "gambling" aspect of it.

Back