• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What features did you think would be within the games but actually weren't?

Did you wish

• Total voters

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Hi all, do you think they should of added the pokerader in black and white versions, it would of been cool, that way you can chain shiney pokemon even though you can catch shinies, but it would of been good if you could use the pokerader to chain them and find them much faster. And to add to this i believe that the poker rader would of been good to make it easier to catch all other pokemon from different regions, and this is not including the ones you can already catch in the grass without the pokerader. What do you think C:

Merged with the features you wanted/thought would be within the games, since the pokeradar isn't something significant enough to have an entire discussion on, especially due to it skipping HGSS mostly (pokewalker totally doesn't count as much) anyway, so it's not like it's an unexpected feature removal. :x

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I was hoping they improvised the Pokemon following you - You can choose whom to, instead of the one first in your party, and you could switch off the follower when it gets annoying.

Hopefully they do it in a hopefully-RSE-remake or the 3rd game of B&W.

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2016
    I thought that you would be able to rotate a zoom the camera at will, without having to go to any special areas. I also thought that you would be able to use dive in Wellspring Cave (for some reason).

Years
  • Like pretty much everyone- I was upset you couldn't rebattle anyone. I also spent half of my time looking for a darn fisherman to give me a rod- only to find you only get one once you beat Team Plasma- which also ment there are very few new water type pokemon. I miss all the features in the DP Poke'tech

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • I was hoping for rematches with trainers/gym leaders, walking with Pokemon, auto running, Pokeball seals, safari zone and a real Pokemon contest lol

Awkward Squirtle

,@,e .ºoO
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2016
    Here we go. I didn't have expectations for B/W (I don't want to be let down), so here's a small list of things I think could be improved:
    Firstly, some small tweaks that could have been made:
    • The GTS has been the same since D/P. It would be much better if you could have more control over a search, such as being able to filter out Pokémon that you can't trade for at the moment. Also, you should be able to view the full summary of a Pokémon before you trade for it.
    • Having to drag Pokémon in the PC over the Party Pokémon button, and then over to the party tab, is annoying. The party tab should be always visible on the side (I think HG/SS had this).
    • Speaking of the storage system, it needs some way to filter out a certain Pokémon. A sort button like with Pokémon Ranch would be nice, but Pokémon Box's awesome filter list is what I'd like.
    • The Battle Box is neat, but it's annoying how it's not accessible through the normal PC functions (and you can't move Pokémon between your Battle Box and your party easily). Also, it would be more convenient if there were multiple Battle Boxes (you could have different teams for singles and doubles, for example), and instead of being stored in the Battle Box, the Pokémon were merely copied (like how transferring to Battle Revolution works) allowing you to use the same Pokémon in multiple teams/in your party.
    • Some of the interface is unintuitive; a lot of people have been caught out by the addition that you now select which active Pokémon you switch out first in a double battle when both of them faint at the same time.
    A few things related to the region and story:
    • Unova is far too linear. Before you beat the story and gain access to the eastern part of the region, you pretty much have to visit each route and city in the same order every time. You can't switch up the order of battling Gym Leaders, either.
    • There's little variety of Pokémon you find by Surfing, in shaking grass, and in dust spots. It's strange that Basculin is the only thing you ever find, everywhere in the region (and it doesn't even evolve); same for Drilbur/Excadrill. Shaking grass isn't as bad, but I get fed up with Audino and Emolga eventually.
    • If you're going to make Sturdy act as a Focus Sash, don't give it to one of the most common wild Pokémon in the region.
    • Don't make the legendary compulsory to catch. I liked it in Platinum where you could choose to run away or KO Giratina, while still being able to catch it later. What if I don't want to catch Zekrom yet?
    • Team Plasma look silly.
    And most other things that have been said so far.

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    The lack of a VS Seeker (which has been mentioned about a million times before) is one thing I was disappointed about. I also miss the Pokémon following you around, and also can't get to grips with this box system.

What I was looking for was a much better C-Gear with a contact list for all your online peeps, seeing that being constantly connected to the Internet is a little pointless seeing all it can tell you is that the PGL server is working or not with its flashing colours. The idea would be that there was no real need for a Union Room, and that it would just be there on your bottom screen so you could connect wherever you are.

A little expansion region wouldn't have gone amiss either, even though East Unova sort of acted as a post-storyline region anyway. Just... I dunno, a little group of islands to visit? Maybe I'm missing FireRed... *gets out GameBoy*

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years
  • I'm still baffled as to why they took out some of the best features of HGSS.

-The touch screen menu was replaced by the C-Gear menu, which should have been brought up via an item rather than always being on the bottom screen. It's pretty much useless most of the time.

-They needlessly took out the "follow me" feature.

-The DW garden is nice, but I was expecting there to be an in-game way to grow my berries.

-I was expecting them to revise the box system, which hasn't really been updated since Gen III (seriously, we still don't have a search function?)

-I was also expecting a bigger region, Unova felt barely bigger than Kanto to me.

Back