• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What game copies pokemon?

roadkill ralph

aaaahh!!! Poke-freaks!
    Years
    I hate games that try to be exactly like pokemon and change -4 things. I think the worst is Amazing Island. You might make monsters and play a really short (and crappy) storyline, but it's the same thing.:pirate:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    o_o; Yeah, this does go in Other Games, I guess.

As for the topic, I don't really mind it. Whenever something gets really big, others will always try to cash in on its success with spin-offs and the like. So it's inevitable...but sometimes good games do come from it, so I can't complain. XD

But I digress. *moves*

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
    There's always a ripoff of a great game. Mario Kart has been rippedoff/clone. Super Smash Bros, Mario himself, etc. Anyway back to the topic sweeties.

Games I know that were based/rippedoff of Pokémon are Telefang, Robopon, and Demikids.

Liquinn

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2007
    Heya. I just had to post beacause Jermeny did :) *Hugs her*

There are proberly a few games that are rip of of Pokemon :(

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2007
    nicoleb said:
    And let's not forget Paper Mario, though it was still one of the best game series ever made.

how is Paper Mario a PKMN ripoff?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    *thinks* It's not...that similar. I guess the battle system could be, but the game itself isn't. Sure, you collect part members and switch them around, but you don't train them in the same sense, nor do you select their moves to the same extent. Honestly, if you look at it just by the battle system, a lot of RPGs are Pokemon rip-offs or vice versa. XD;

When I think Pokemon rip-offs, I think of the obvious ones. I dunno if it's considered as one (I always thought it was, even though I prefer it over most of the Pokemon games), but Dragon Warrior Monsters was one. It was similar in most ways, but it was unique enough that it held its own as a game. I still go back and replay it more than I do for the Pokemon series, so it wasn't all bad. XD

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
    Well, yeah, personally I don't think it's a Pokémon rip~off. XDDDD Turn-based battling isn't original to Pokémon; & yes, there's a PP equivalent and all, but that's just... er... obvious. XD;;; Plus it's a lot more elaborate and involves hand~eye coordination; the former revolves around tactics alone.

Zack

Arr!
    Years
    Yeah paper mario has the timing and stuff so you have to be more alert. With pokemon you could have the slowest hands in the world to play.

roadkill ralph

aaaahh!!! Poke-freaks!
    Years
    I agree.

Zack said:
    Yeah paper mario has the timing and stuff so you have to be more alert. With pokemon you could have the slowest hands in the world to play.

Paper Mario is not at all like pokemon. The poke battle system isn't even completly original. It's called RPG!

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2017
    Azure Dreams is a rip off of PkMn because instead of Pokeballs, you would get Ovaseeds to "catch" Tameons(or famaliars) which would turn them into an egg. You got Tameons, like Wumps and Catawumps and Genny and blah...it was very rip off since there were over 60 monsters you could get. And also, you got lots of other things.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    I'm betting that Pokemon didn't invent having monsters as pets, guys. It's called JAPAN.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Paper Mario's battle system is loosely based on the battle system featured in Super Mario RPG, it's spiritual predecessor. Not Pokemon.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
    Allstories said:
    I'm betting that Pokemon didn't invent having monsters as pets, guys. It's called JAPAN.
    Japan is a game? For what console? =p Stick with the topic sweetie. =p

I really want to say Monster Rancher ripped off Pokémon, but I played it, it's not EXACTLY the same. >>
    I could have sworn at least one YGO game ripped of Pokémon...

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Yeah I remember Monster Rancher. I was incedibly alike to pokemon.

But that's the only game I can think of (and Jeremy got to it first *grrrr*)

Back