• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen what game version do you prefer? Gold or Silver?

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
  • I say Gold. I never really liked Lugia much, and I always thought Ho-Oh was cooler. Plus, you can get Arcanine and Ariados as version exclusives. And, of course, Gligar!

Last edited:

Frisky Arcanine

Jumpluff Hugger
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2011
    Silver for sure, honestly just because I like silver more than gold IRL (unless it's white gold) :p Ho-Oh and Lugia were never factors for me, even back then I didn't like using legendaries much

But really now, I prefer Crystal over both versions now

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • Me I prefer the Silver version, and it will always be my favourite version of all of them. Just, look at Lugia, a Fly/Psy Pokemon, it's just perfect ! :D
    Oh-Ho is really majestic, but I don't know, just seeing the game out the console, Lugia on this silver background... That makes me dreaming :)

Smitty.

Forget who you were.
    Years
  • I love how Gold has the preference in these posts, cuz I'd have to agree. (I thought Silver would be more prominent...)

Patriсk

warup warup, the sky!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2012
    Probably Silver. While I am not too fond of legendary Pokémon, I still prefer Lugia over Ho-oh.

valor555

The Only Light in the Deep Sea
    Years
  • I am sort of like a pokemon "hipster" lol, i always preferred the the less popular of the pokemon games(except 3rd gen, Kyogre ftw). While all of my friends were playing gold, I was playing silver. I had both but for some reason i was just drawn more to silver, even when i got crystal i even put that aside for awhile to go back to silver.

Draganera

lolwhut? :D
    Years
  • What's with Crystal? /D

Well, I like Ho-Oh more than Lugia, and I also like Gold more than Silver.
    That's why I prefer the Pokémon Gold Edition. The Bell tower is just awesome. ^^"

Aaand... I can get Growlithe in Gold. \o/

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2018
    I feel like I should say Gold for the nostalgia kicks, being that that was the first Pok?mon game I ever played.

But I prefer Silver. I like Lugia more than Ho-Oh, I like the version exclusives more (with the exception of Spinarak and Gligar), and I actually still own it--when my friend and I got tired of trading games back and forth, I ended up with Silver and he got Gold.

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2013
    I'd have to say Crystal, but since that's not an option, I'd have to go with silver. For some reason I started to dislike the gold version after I got it stolen from me as a kid. That was a childhood trama for me XD

Technician

Aerial Ace
    Years
  • Gold for me. It was the one I owned so of course I will say that lol.

And it's the reason I got HG over SS.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • I'd have to say Crystal, but since that's not an option, I'd have to go with silver. For some reason I started to dislike the gold version after I got it stolen from me as a kid. That was a childhood trama for me XD

But then you cannot get mareep! Honestly, what is the point of playing gbc games if you don't have mareep! ..jk

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2015
    I like both, but, i prefer Silver because it was my first game of the second generation.
    And in terms of legendaries, i still say Silver, because Lugia at lv. 40 can have Aeroblast, and Ho-oh! with flamethrower it's almost like Sacred Fire in power, so, that's it.

Back