• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What generation of Pokemon did you start with?

What generation of Pokemon did you start with?

• Generation 1 (Red/Blue/Yellow)

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Generation 2 (Gold/Silver/Crystal)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Generation 3 (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FR/LG)

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Generation 4 (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HG/SS)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Generation 5 (Black/White/Black2/White2)

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Generation 6 (X/Y/ORAS)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Haven't ever played one of the main series games

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Was kinda curious to see when everyone on the forum started with the main series Pokemon games....

I'm one of those old people who's first Pokemon games were Red/Blue/Yellow back in the day. What about the rest of you?

EDIT: Is the generation you started with also your favorite generation? If not, then what is your favorite generation?

Last edited:
    Years
    My first game was Red, at age 7. I still have some of our old Gen I and II copies from over a decade ago, even if some of them don't work properly. And here I am then with all the games from the respective generations.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    The first game I ever played was Fire Red (which got lost long ago). My uncle found it when someone forgo their DS in a bank, inside was that game (along with Mario 64 DS)

Years
    My first game was Black. That was almost two years ago, so I still have that game. Man, I've beaten that game about 7 times now.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I've started with generation one. First game I've ever gotten a hold of was Pokémon Blue, which, if I remember correctly, was at the age of six. It was given to me by my dad as a Christmas present. When I did get it, I simply couldn't put it down, and kept playing for hours and hours for the first couple of days. It slightly began to dwindle afterward, but my interest still remained top-notch.

My most favorite generation, though, would likely have to be third. It's got Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald; personally, I've enjoyed playing them a ton. More-so than Blue. Locations that they house are all unique in their own, special way and fun to explore, and their music are extremely nice to listen. Very excited for their remake, and would surely be getting them on release day, if I'm able! Not only that, but third generation also homes FireRed and LeafGreen versions, which are remakes to Red, Blue, and Yellow and contain dozens of post-game content, unlike any other game from the series.

As far as least favorites go, I'm not exactly sure if I have any... though, if I had to choose, I would likely go with five.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
    I'm not as old as everyone on here, so I started with Generation 3 with FR/LG at the age of seven. Pokemon really grew onto me, though, so I've played nearly every game since then, and even bought GBC off Amazon so that I could experience R/B/Y and G/S/C in its full glory, without relying on emualtors of any kind.

Years
    3rd Generation for me. I got Ruby on my 11th birthday alongside a GBA SP and I was like instantly hooked. I did go on to play every generation that followed it afterwards, leaving only 1st and 2nd Gen as the generations I never got to play.

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
    Gen 1 was my first game.. Which led to becoming a gamer.. Ive played it for hours even when the battery run dry and I couldnt keep my save but even though that happened I still played it and finished pokemon red once per day.. Yup those were good times lol

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Ashley's post got me thinking.....here's an additional question:

Is the generation you started with also your favorite generation?

As for me, no. While I started with the 1st gen, the 5th generation is my favorite set of games.

Years
    Good point there Zekrom!

While 3rd Gen is pretty cool, it's actually 5th Gen that's my fave generation. There was so much about that generation that was memorable to me, especially the character development with Cheren, Bianca and N.

Years
    Started with Gen 1 - Blue version to be exact. And yes, it is my favorite generation as most of my favorite pokemon are from there.

Controversy

Drink The Kool-Aid
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2015
    Firered was my first Pokemon game. I never had a GBC so that's why I started with Gen 3 instead of earlier.

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2014
    It was pokemon blue for me, though weirdly I remember asking my mum for blue because blastoise looked awesome on the picture and then when I got the game I picked charmander as my starter lol. I remember getting stuck on brock for so long, I didn't really get that bide would charge up and deal double what I dealt xD

And my favourite generation is probably gen 3, just because of how broken gen 1 is.

Last edited:

Silri

Kimono Girl
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2018
    I'm another who started in Gen 1 with Blue. I got Blue because my best friend had gotten it (didn't know about version exclusives then!). Ah, the good old days of surfing around for MissingNo so I could max out my rare candies and master balls....

Though it is quite nostalgic for me, it's not my favorite. That place goes to Gen 2, which has so many good memories(with Gen 5 being a very close second).

Years
    Ashley's post got me thinking.....here's an additional question:

As for me, no. While I started with the 1st gen, the 5th generation is my favorite set of games.

Same to me - I started with Generation I too, but Generation V is my favorite.

Least favorite (sorry if this isn't what this is about, but someone else posted it so i'll do the same)? Generation II, mostly because of the existence of HGSS. But Gen III is second. For me it's 5 > 6 > 1 = 4 > 3 > 2. Ironic that my least favorites are what look to be the big favorites here.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    Gen I was where I started at about 8 years old I was say with my Charmander as my first choice. The rest is history.

Gen III is my favorite, Emerald has the story which I believe is the best and FireRed is currently my favorite Pokémon game as Kanto is my favorite region.

Back