• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Got You Into Pokemon?

Which of these led you to liking Pokemon?

• Other Games. Like Pokemon Puzzle League. Or perhaps something else.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I never liked it. I just come to this site for... uh... why am I here? o.o

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
    Eh, I like reflecting. *shrug* Plus, since there are so many polls, I just decided to make one. Dun worry, I won't make you choose your favorite pokemon. ^-^

However, I will make you choose what got you interested in the entire Pokemon thing. Was it one of the games? The anime/movies? The cards? The toys? Come on now, I know it's the last one. *wink* What aspect caught your eye and made you want more?

For me, it was the anime. I couldn't resist the combination of cute pokemon and the fun-loving Team Rocket trio. That did me in. ^^;

So, don't be shy, what was yours?

Years
    (Shesh, my internet is moving at a 24 kb pace >.>)

Well at the very beginning, I got Pokemon Red Version, I wasn't really into it, for some reason, when I was at that time, Pewter Cave seemed forever so I gave up.

Several years later, I got Pokemon Crystal, and I just LOOOOOVED it, it just had that feeling with it! During that time, my brother was VERY into the Anime, brought Tapes and stuff. I didn't say I liked it, but I sorta secretly liked it. Now my brother DENIES that he ever jumped on the couch singing the pokemon theme song and saying phrases like "Pikachu go!!!"

I used to show off that I knew more pokemon than he did, since I played Crystal xD He only knew the Kanto region.

I used to stay up all night playing Crystal, fun game...

Yameneko549

Eat hammer!
    Years
    Pokemon Green was my first game. Got it at a used game store in my town for $19.00. I loved it, even though I couldn't read japaneese at the time. Heck, I still can't. XD

My first starter was Charmander, simply because I liked what it looked like. When it became a Charizard, though, well... O_O;

Anyway, yeah, I got hooked from the actual first games.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Meh, I'm just going to be terribly generic here and say that it was the first generation pok?mon games, because...well, it's true. ^-^ My first ever experience in pok?mon was when I got to play a bit on my friend's copy of Blue (I had a Bulbasaur and a Beedrill by the time I had to stop, as I recall) and the game just appealed to me straight away, so (With some help from Shorties-kun) I managed to persuade my mum into letting me buy my own, although I picked Red simply because it looked nicer. XD Anyways, I got aquianted with the Anime a short time later, and the TCG too...and then it kind of snowballed from there. So yeah. ^-^

Miiburd

Benjamæl II von Tavireksumpf
    Years
    I think I originally heard of pok?mon when I was about 8, when my friends were talking about it. Started collecting the cards, but I didn't really like to play the card game that much.... Just collecting the best cards. ^^

Then I got pok?mon blue and yellow, and it sorta went from there. I love the games.... and the pok?mon are so neat. ^v^
    I still want more of the games though. @_@ and if the new pok?mon game is for DS, I definately have to get a DS....
    I have yellow, blue, gold, and ruby. I would like the others, but I tend to wait until they aren't new and they're hard to find =/

For a few years I sort of forgot about pok?mon... But several months ago I got back into it. ^^
    And even though my friends liked them first, now I like them and they don't care. o___O They went out of the phaze but didn't go back in..
    I will always like pok?mon, even if I sometimes forget about them for a while.

Now I play the games, but I no longer collect the cards. I liked collecting the first set, anyway, and it would be a PAIN to try to do that now. O__O so many new pok?mon ...... ..

Last edited:
    Years
    I would say...all at once but the first acts were my new friends playing with Red/Blue. While that was going on, the anime was playing on and just swept up with me. The final act was the cards. And the rest for more is history.

Then a year later, I played while my friends didn't. So yeah.

I would have had fun with the toys if there were a better selection, Gym Leader toys goshsarn it!

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Pokemon Red me and my dad got for my brother when he turned 9 in 1998. All three of us seemed to play equally, so my dad bought teh Blue version just for me the following Christmas (I was 11 at the time).

cυтe тogepι

Sugar?!
    Years
    Umm, the anim? got me. I was really young... like, 7 when the anim? came out, here in Mexico.

I knew that every kid in Mexico would watch that epi, so, I watched it too. And then got into the games...and finally, a bunch of Poke forums. @_@

poke lover

Pokemon Master
    Years
    The Pokemon cards. I remember coming to school one day and everyone had these cool cards. So after school I ran home and started begging my parents for these cards. They eventually bought me the starter and so I got into Pokemon. This was all back in 99.

Merzbau

it's just a ride.
    Years
    [SIZE="-7"]Before I liked Pok?mon, I actually was one of the kids who made fun of the people who did. Which I regret, because that's like...most of my friends now. But anyway...I remember back in 3rd grade that my friend Josh brought in this video to class of the episode wayyy in the beginning of the anime...like Cerulean City or whatever? That episode with the vacuum thing or whatever. We could never watch it again, because someone got offended. As if that's suprising. But anyway...I watched that, and I instantly loved it. I got one of every of the generations of games up until Ruby/Sapphire. I stopped after that...but I still play Sapphire occasionally.[/SIZE]

Years
    The TCG, actually. It was when it had first come out in the US, and all the cards were in Japanese. I was about four or five, and it was at a summer camp. (Yeah, I remember it REALLY well.) All the other kids had these cards, and though they didn't understand them, they collected and traded them anyway. XD
    I remember my first pack. In it, I think I got a holographic Moltres. I brought it to camp, and this one kid noticed it.

"Hey, that card is really rare!" He told me.
    "It is?" I said in surprise.
    "Yeah! How 'bout you give it to me, and I'll give you something really great in return."
    "Okay."

Hey, I was five.

Needless to say, I never saw it again, or the card he said he'd give me. XD
    When almost everybody lost interest in Pokemon, I stayed dedicated. And I still am!

Years
    My stepbrother got Red version, and I watched him play it. It got me interested in it. Then, I eventually got my own GBC and played Blue/Yellow. It got me hooked to Pokemon, and I've pretty much been hooked since. 8D

husk1442

needs more [i]Mod[/i]
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 3, 2009
    I saw the first pokemon show aired in the U.S. by accident and was hooked from then on........its funny cause while I watching the first show instead of playing my N64 I knew it was addictive and I knew I was going to be involved for a while

Johto Boy

Elite Trainer
    Years
    I never liked the anime, or the cards. I was at school one day and my one friend had a Red version. I was bored and interested, so I played it. Then before I knew it I was addicted. I couldn't stop playing. Although I knew nothing about Pokemon, I had to buy one of those games. So I went to the store, and even though I played Red, I couldn't find it there, but I did see Gold and Silver. So picked up Silver and loved it. And then I found interest in Pokemon. :)

Years
    If I recall correctly, my interest towards it started due to an article that ran in Nintendo Power some time before Pokemon actually came out in the US. The concept behind the games seemed interesting, and the pokemon they showed looked neat as well (though I tend to like video game monsters anyways).

What truly got me into liking it for certain, though, was the anime. I started watching it at the time it first aired on TV around here, and that got me into wanting the games (which I did get - my first version was Blue version). Ever since then, my interest in it hasn't ever fully gone away...

Years
    • MD
    • Seen Mar 17, 2007
    I chose the Anime choice as I first was exposed to Pok?mon in that way and after watching some episodes I got Pok?mon Yellow and got hooked so I then purchased the next game that came out and so on.

ShadowHero

Whirl-Islands Co-Webmaster
    Years
    TCG (tons of money waisted XP)

I got into PKMN I actually think the TCG first. My first card was Charizard out of a random booster pack ( I was happy that day XD ) Right after I got my first pack I got the Red. I've gotten every single game since.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    Back in 1996, when I still used to buy Corocoro every month (I was like 5? 6?), I saw this tiny article on a new game being made by a company I never heard of -"GameFreak".
    The game was called "Pocket Monsters".

After seeing the initial screenshot, I was excited. And I swore I would get this game.

And this is how I got into Pokemon.

Back