• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What grinds your Gigiaru?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years

Pretty much a "What grinds your gears" thread about Pokemon in general. There are many things which the Pokemon team have gotten right, but some things that they've gotten wrong, and those which just happen to annoy you, which is where the topic comes into it. What grinds your Gigiaru?

For me, it'd be the episode style they use. I've noticed this ever since Pokemon Advance and they've used the same formula again and again. There's pretty much either:
    - A Pokemon episode, where they encounter a new Pokemon.
    - A contest episode, where a contest happens.
    - A trainer episode, including gym leaders.

Another thing that grinds my Gigiaru is the fact that they've used the same combination of Fire and Fighting for starter Pokemon three times now. You wouldn't think they'd keep doing it but they just do. D:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years

Pretty much a "What grinds your gears" thread about Pokemon in general. There are many things which the Pokemon team have gotten right, but some things that they've gotten wrong, and those which just happen to annoy you, which is where the topic comes into it. What grinds your Gigiaru?

For me, it'd be the episode style they use. I've noticed this ever since Pokemon Advance and they've used the same formula again and again. There's pretty much either:
    - A Pokemon episode, where they encounter a new Pokemon.
    - A contest episode, where a contest happens.
    - A trainer episode, including gym leaders.

Another thing that grinds my Gigiaru is the fact that they've used the same combination of Fire and Fighting for starter Pokemon three times now. You wouldn't think they'd keep doing it but they just do. D:

The formulaic episodes lately have gotten on my nerves lately... Yeah, they were similar to the Original Series episodes, but the episodes of the Original Series had more of an adventurous and discovery-ish feel to them.

Emboar being the third Fire/Fighting starter Pokemon in a row is also slightly annoying. I guess it fits Emboar, but if Game Freak is trying to convey the sense of a reboot, it doesn't help that a certain repetitive aspect reminds us heavily of the Generation we just played.

LOL...the only other time I've heard the saying "grinds my gears" is during discussion of Power Rangers RPM... 'Tis a fun thing to say. :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    Hm, not a lot gets to me. Maybe the safari zones. I never really liked them much. Especially the risk of finding a shiny, and having a low probability of catching the pokemon you want (no matter how careful you are).

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
    Years
    Really? The last time I heard 'grinds my gears' was on Family Guy...

Anyway, the fight/fire deal is what's annoyed me the most.

Contest episodes in general on the anime got to me too. I hated them. :/

What grinds my gears the most though is that I keep on seeing people complain about every aspect of the games. It's like they cannot be satisfied with anything!

I guess that's a bit hypocritical of me, since I'm replying to this thread.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2020
    I would also say the repetative storyline. It's the same thing over and over. You'd think Ash's pikachu would be at level frickin' 100 by now. But it keeps ending up at like... lvl 5 all over again -_-

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    What really annoys me:

In video games:
    -critical hits happening in the wrong times (KOing my Pokemon during a critical moment and KOing the Pokemon I'm trying to catch)
    -when I'm unable to do anything for several turns in a row thanks to status

In the show:
    -Team Rocket, prior to B/W.

In general:
    -3 Fire/Fighting starters in a row

$herlock

$harks ahead.
    Years
    What really annoys me:

In video games:
    -critical hits happening in the wrong times (KOing my Pokemon during a critical moment and KOing the Pokemon I'm trying to catch)
    -when I'm unable to do anything for several turns in a row thanks to status

In the show:
    -Team Rocket, prior to B/W.

In general:
    -3 Fire/Fighting starters in a row

Oh, that's got it exactly. Also this new Dangoro with Sturdy. D:

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    1. Fire/Fighting
    2. Reshiram
    3. Lack of favorite Pokemon in a game
    4. IV/EV grinding
    5. HEALING MOVES

Ev Trainer X

Your average insane gamer
    Years
    I would also say the repetative storyline. It's the same thing over and over. You'd think Ash's pikachu would be at level frickin' 100 by now. But it keeps ending up at like... lvl 5 all over again -_-

THANK YOU.

Not to mention that Ash should be AT LEAST 18 by now, but he acts like a friggin' 12 year old.

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
    People who are Gen 1 extremists and won't try any other games involving any generation after the first one. What makes me even madder is when they do play them but can't seem to find one positive aspect about the game or newer Pokemon.

j2y8n2x

Gothitelle iz naught imprezzed
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    The only thing I criticize on Best Wishes is that Pokemon appear in places where they are not supposed to be (according to the games)

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
    I absolutely hate it when my moves miss when they have a 95% chance of striking, or never work with 70. With Black and White, however, I've been getting my revenge for all my missed moves by constantly using leaf tornado. It's awesome, it causes damage while at the same time destroying the NPCs' Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    I love this title of this thread. It's perfect. :D

Anyway, something that really annoys me in the games is when you are using a high level pokemon, like say 100 or near 100 and you come into wild battle with something like a level 17 and your attack misses? whaaaat? lol I also dislike when you're battling and your attack misses multiple times and the other person has a lower level pokemon and it keeps critical hitting you. bah.

In the anime, I think it's ridiculous Ash isn't older by now and that there should be some new character. I don't watch the anime much at all really, but he's been on the show for how many years as a kid?

Snopes

Veteran Newblette
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2011
    Oh My Gosh:

The Sheer Massive amounts of Rattata/Geodudes/Zubats

Zubat's Supersonic

Encountering shinies when you have no pokeballs

Whirlwind/Roar

UGH!!

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
    how is it that cinnabar island had better items in their pokemart than celadon city's department store

Back