• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What happened to Ground being good on Grass Pokemon?

Dave-o-rama

If you are a false don't entry
    Years
    i dont know how ground would be super effective against grass... but then again, the first game i played through to the end was emerald.

Guest123_x1

What happened to Ground being good on Grass Pokemon?

What happened to Ground being good on Grass Pokemon?
    Best way I can go about it, in RSE there isn't a "it's super effective!" but yeah, I don't really get it either... (Groudon was the only Pokemon that had a ground move in my save... so... yeah.)

I think I know what it is though... back then mixed types weren't perfected so they retained both weaknesses due to their types... that's the only way I can think of it...
    First of all, those screenshots would've been a bit more credible (especially the Advance Generation set) if the level gap wasn't so wide. A level 45 Groudon vs. L13 wild Oddish isn't saying much if nothing at all. Even if Groudon used a "not very effective" type attack, the Oddish would more than likely go down nonetheless.
    The original RBY series quirk I highilghted in my previous post was merely a bug which was fixed starting with Gold&Silver&Crystal.
    Since Earthquake is a Ground type attack and Oddish is part Poison, the move would be calculated to do "normal" damage, therefore it woudn't be "super-effective" nor "not very effective"

anemos

Insomniac
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2010
    yes, the point is that ther ws no efectivmess message, not that the fainting wouldnt happen.

ShadowTails

I'm working on a better Avatar
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 7, 2015
    well it's hard to show there isn't a "It's Super Effective." screen when it doesn't exsist.

umbros

Dark trainer.
    Years
    Oh, and just so everyone knows, in RBY there were a few differences in type allignments. For one, ice was neutral against fire for some weird reason, as opposed to being "not very effective". I tested this out a few seconds ago on a wild Growlithe. Also, poison and bug were both super effective against each other. As in, a Caterpie would be hurt more by Weedle's poison sting, and a Koffing would be hurt more by Zubat's leech life.

Shining Salamence

Master of all things cool
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2011
    They stuffed up the type advantages in G/S/C. Water used to be weak against electric but they got rid of that for some reason. ;_;

Years
    RBY was a mess when it came to type advantages on dual-type Pokemon. Only one of the types would be taken into consideration for the Pokemon when a move had an effect on both types. For Tentacruel for instance it was poison, so grass was always nve against it. For Dragonite it was dragon, so ice was se and electric wasn't. And for Oddish it was poison, making ground se.

Back