• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What happens after you die?

Years
  • It is completely impossible to say. Obviously this discussion is all hypothetical, but it is so difficult to actually grasp the idea of post death. It is a concept that I don't think I will ever understand; not death itself, but the after death.

When I think of what it is like, I normally compare it to sleep. You know how you fall asleep and it feels like time passes in a blink of an eye? I likened death to that, but just not waking up. It is such a difficult thing to consider and imagine that it is one I normally forget quickly. Haha. The thought of reincarnation is one that I would like to think is a possibility, as it would mean that life isn't just pointless and will end like that, even though you wouldn't remember anything from the previous life.

It is one thing that has always been in the back of my mind. I will one day know, but I don't intend on that day coming any time soon. A lot of people say, who have been on the brink or brought back form temporary death, that they see a bright light and it is all beautiful and relaxing, which proves a higher intervention, but my scientific mind simply discredits that as the brains chemical reaction and endorphins firing off at a time of distress.

It is one that will be argued over many times, till science actually creates a way to see inside someones mind as death happens. Until then, I don't know is the simple answer.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • I see your point. It depends on HOW you get to Heaven/Hell. Some radical Muslims (al-quida or however you spell it believed they go to Heaven by killing others. A works- based religion leads to depression or pride.

Tek

Years
  • I see your point. It depends on HOW you get to Heaven/Hell. Some radical Muslims (al-quida or however you spell it believed they go to Heaven by killing others. A works- based religion leads to depression or pride.

Well, that's almost it, but just barely misses what I was getting at. But first of all, if you have a path, a belief, a faith, and it works for you - that's a beautiful thing. At some point in time, you may begin to find deficiencies, cracks in the walls of tradition, where the old beliefs no longer are sufficient or sensible. Which is scary as hell, but also beautiful.

What I was really getting at is that when there is any conception of the saved and the damned, regardless of the path of salvation, there is a tendency to take that path simply to avoid possible punishment. It's not just 'works', or egoistic striving, it also applies to saying "I believe" only because you're afraid you will burn otherwise, or because it's what you're "supposed" to do. Such things are inauthentic, and are *eventually* detrimental to meaningful spiritual growth, no matter what value they hold in modifying behavior.

Last edited:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I've been thinking about this myself a lot lately. I started researching a lot on different religions and what they say and such. But one thing that stands out prominently in all religions and even atheists, when someone has a near death experience meaning they die, are pronounced dead, but then come back to life, they all say they experienced more or less the same thing depending on where they ended up going. The people who think of there being a god and fear him and worship him said they left their earthly bodies and went sent into space. The light and space around them wrapped around their bodies as they flew past planets going deeper and deeper into space. Atheists and non god fearing/worshipping etc. people who have died and came back have pronounced either seeing nothing or seeing themselves leave their earthly bodies and slowly fall into darkness and an intense heat that they could not describe, one man said that the heat was so intense that if the thing that he was outside of his earthly body had had skin he was sure it would have melted off of him instantly and liquefied. Obviously the intense heat and darkness that they felt was hell. And my interpretation of the people who were flying out to space is that they are heading to heaven, which would be most people's idea. The light and space wrapping around them would suggest that they are traveling at speeds exceeding the speed of light, and what I think is happening is they are racing towards the edges of the universe. God is said to be a being of another dimension, so when we go to join him we should be going to a different dimension, and outside of space and time would be another dimension. I'm not saying I believe but I'm not saying I don't because the bible has been historically proven to be accurate but that's another conversation. And all this is just what I've speculated from eyewitness reports or what death is viewed as to them and what I've interpreted from the bible so take it all with a grain of salt.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • For me, as atheist, i gotta go with my beliefes, so there is no heaven or hell for me.
    I do believe in the incrnation of the soul, because i'm a dreamer, and i always found this theory interesting.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • I've been thinking about this myself a lot lately. I started researching a lot on different religions and what they say and such. But one thing that stands out prominently in all religions and even atheists, when someone has a near death experience meaning they die, are pronounced dead, but then come back to life, they all say they experienced more or less the same thing depending on where they ended up going. The people who think of there being a god and fear him and worship him said they left their earthly bodies and went sent into space. The light and space around them wrapped around their bodies as they flew past planets going deeper and deeper into space. Atheists and non god fearing/worshipping etc. people who have died and came back have pronounced either seeing nothing or seeing themselves leave their earthly bodies and slowly fall into darkness and an intense heat that they could not describe, one man said that the heat was so intense that if the thing that he was outside of his earthly body had had skin he was sure it would have melted off of him instantly and liquefied. Obviously the intense heat and darkness that they felt was hell. And my interpretation of the people who were flying out to space is that they are heading to heaven, which would be most people's idea. The light and space wrapping around them would suggest that they are traveling at speeds exceeding the speed of light, and what I think is happening is they are racing towards the edges of the universe. God is said to be a being of another dimension, so when we go to join him we should be going to a different dimension, and outside of space and time would be another dimension. I'm not saying I believe but I'm not saying I don't because the bible has been historically proven to be accurate but that's another conversation. And all this is just what I've speculated from eyewitness reports or what death is viewed as to them and what I've interpreted from the bible so take it all with a grain of salt.

Wow. Reminds me of the book: Heaven is for Real. I don't know if they really happened, but it sounds believable. It was a 6 year old. Considering he survived the event, it has to be a God story. I think what happened may be true. They are making a movie out of it.

Tek

Years
  • The people who think of there being a god and fear him and worship him said they left their earthly bodies and went sent into space. The light and space around them wrapped around their bodies as they flew past planets going deeper and deeper into space. Atheists and non god fearing/worshipping etc. people who have died and came back have pronounced either seeing nothing or seeing themselves leave their earthly bodies and slowly fall into darkness and an intense heat that they could not describe, one man said that the heat was so intense that if the thing that he was outside of his earthly body had had skin he was sure it would have melted off of him instantly and liquefied.

Where are you getting this information? A study done by Bruce Greyson in 2006 showed that there is little or no connection between religious preference and the content of an NDE. Gregory Shushan has found that while cultural backgrounds influence the specific details of NDEs, the overall structure is the same. A 1981 study found that 20% of NDEs were 'hellish' in nature, which is a lower percentage than the general number of people who are non-Christian.

Most of the research points to the same conclusion: the near-death experience is the same for people who happen to be on a traditional Christian path as it is for people who are on other spiritual paths, or no spiritual path. I'd almost bet money that your information is coming from someone who is himself on a traditional Christian path, and who is cherry-picking data that matches his preferences. It happens all the time.

The majority of NDEs follow the same basic structure, which does not include being wrapped up and sent flying through space. Kenneth Ring has provided a simplified version of this structure, which is:

1. Peace
    2. Body separation
    3. Entering darkness
    4. Seeing the light
    5. Entering the light

Ring says that 60% of people reach stage 1, while only 10% reach stage five. Which, again, appears to have nothing to do with their personal religious beliefs. In fact, the people who generally have the most powerful experience of going into the light appear to be the ones who are hurtful to others or have psychological damage.

Last edited:

DanZC

Pokemon Trainer Dan
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2018
    I believe in the Catholic understanding of afterlife, where when you die, you go to Heaven, Purgatory, or Hell, based on what you have done during your life. Although I've never had a NDE, I still believe in it.

I agree with PervertedPikachu that most mainstream religions preach acceptance but then try to convert those who disagree with them. It's all sort of bigoted, no?

Therefore I just don't see how religion can exist as a thing. It's all too controversial.
    My family has always punished me when I said something bad about a person's religion. My parents called intolerance itself a sin. I try to be open minded about other people's beliefs. I respect your opinion, just as I respect a Muslim's opinion about the world.

Last edited:

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years

• I would skip past the timer. Both Nye and Ham make interesting points here. I thought I would post it because someone said something about the Bible being an accurate historical text. Pretty off-topic, but...

Last edited:

kuzronk

Banned
    Years
  • You die and rot for a while. A couple of days later you get burred or turned into ash and that's life.

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years

• What a horrible notion. Who has the right to decide when and where another person ends their life-journey? What reason is there to cause more suffering in a world already full of pain?

Perhaps, but what if the way a person murders another person is less painful than how they would die later? Say, I murdered someone by slipping rat poison into their soup. If I hadn't though, they would have gotten hit by a train the next day. Which would you rather have?

Just a thought. I mean, heck, I'd rather be killed by rat poison than a train crushing my entire body.

lozzop

Monkey slut!
    Years
  • I never actually really thought about it, but I think it's just over. We were born a bag of flesh and bones, and that's how we end up. I also don't think there's a Heaven and Hell, and I don't believe in reincarnation either, even though in a way I'd like to. It's kind of depressing, but it's just life.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Perhaps, but what if the way a person murders another person is less painful than how they would die later? Say, I murdered someone by slipping rat poison into their soup. If I hadn't though, they would have gotten hit by a train the next day. Which would you rather have?

Just a thought. I mean, heck, I'd rather be killed by rat poison than a train crushing my entire body.

Are you trying to make the case that murder is actually acceptable in some situations? Because for one, it's not for you to say which way of dying would be preferable to that person, so you can't just decide for yourself how and when someone should die. And you have no way of knowing the future, so at the time you committed the murder you had no idea that they would have been hit by a train (and even afterwards you don't know that they would have been hit by a train).

Sorry, but there's just no virtues to murder no matter how you squint at it.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years

• I would skip past the timer. Both Nye and Ham make interesting points here. I thought I would post it because someone said something about the Bible being an accurate historical text. Pretty off-topic, but...

I have watched bits and peices of this, and I need to finish it.

Here is another very interesting video by Lee Strobel. He was an atheist and went out to disprove God. Now he is a Christian. He proved that God exists. Here is the link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ajqH4y8G0MI

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
  • Are you trying to make the case that murder is actually acceptable in some situations?

I apologize if I made it seem that way. That's not at all what I'm trying to do. I'm just throwing concepts out into the open.

EDIT: Actually, murder can be justified. When we pull the plug on suffering people on life support at the hospital who will never make a recovery, isn't THAT murder? Murder means to take someone's life without consent, no?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    The truth is... everyone repeats they're life. I have, and I know it. It's due to the black hole-parallel universe concept. When information/an object is sucked into a black hole, it is lost forever, right? Wrong! When that information is sucked into the black hole, it is stored on the edges of the black hole in some form or fashion. This is because each black hole is a universe of it's own. When a black hole is formed, a new universe is born, and thus, since our planet was sucked into a black hole before, and in the very very near future, we were stored in the black hole, and put into that universe, and we are repeating the same life over again. One more thing, when something falls into a black hole, it will eventually fall into it again... in the universe it is now in. It is a non-ending loop that lasts for an eternity. What I can't figure out is... what formed the first black hole, and created that first universe? And also, what happens when that black hole collapses?! Will all subuniverses collapse with it? I once made a diagram when I was young of Super Universes and Mega Universes and So on And So Forth, not realizing I was on the right track. But I no longer have that diagram.

So, when you fall into this black hole, you'll see darkness, feel an eerie feeling, and finally, vibrate at an infinite level that feels like a lightning bolt went right through your entire body, trying to tear you apart entirely (That's because, technically, you've just been spewed out as Radiation)

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • As far as I know, lights out.

Honestly, the idea of eternal rest is much better than the Christian idea of the afterlife. If you're "good" (Which by Biblical standards means bigoted, arrogant, and holier-than-thou), you get to go to Heaven. Heaven is basically an eternal church service with Jesus and God. In Heaven you lose your free will and are forced into mindless, eternal bliss. You no longer think, you just praise the Lord for eternity. Never ending, never ceasing praising.

If you're "bad" (That is, you think for yourself and/or decide to have fun during your natural lifetime), you go to Hell. Note that you don't have to actually be a bad person to go to Hell, you just have to believe in either the wrong god or no god. So by Biblical standards Adolf Hitler and Tomas de Torquemada are in Heaven (the "good" place) whereas Albert Einstein and Mahatma Gandhi are in Hell (the "bad" place). Anyway, back to Hell. So basically, you're tortured for eternity. Yeah, that's right. Eternal torture. For what? Oh, for not believing in the right god. So yeah, you can be the most moral person on Earth. You can discover the cure for cancer, end all wars, and give all your money away to charity, but if you don't believe that Jesus is your savior, then you get tortured for eternity.

I love how Christians think that their god is morally good. I've read the Bible, and I can safely say that he is not morally good; He is not only a tyrant, but also a genocidal maniac.

I'd rather just be nothing for the rest of eternity than have to go to either of those places. But honestly, I'd rather go to Hell than Heaven. At least in Hell I could still think freely.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • As far as I know, lights out.

Honestly, the idea of eternal rest is much better than the Christian idea of the afterlife. If you're "good" (Which by Biblical standards means bigoted, arrogant, and holier-than-thou), you get to go to Heaven. Heaven is basically an eternal church service with Jesus and God. In Heaven you lose your free will and are forced into mindless, eternal bliss. You no longer think, you just praise the Lord for eternity. Never ending, never ceasing praising.

If you're "bad" (That is, you think for yourself and/or decide to have fun during your natural lifetime), you go to Hell. Note that you don't have to actually be a bad person to go to Hell, you just have to believe in either the wrong god or no god. So by Biblical standards Adolf Hitler and Tomas de Torquemada are in Heaven (the "good" place) whereas Albert Einstein and Mahatma Gandhi are in Hell (the "bad" place). Anyway, back to Hell. So basically, you're tortured for eternity. Yeah, that's right. Eternal torture. For what? Oh, for not believing in the right god. So yeah, you can be the most moral person on Earth. You can discover the cure for cancer, end all wars, and give all your money away to charity, but if you don't believe that Jesus is your savior, then you get tortured for eternity.

I love how Christians think that their god is morally good. I've read the Bible, and I can safely say that he is not morally good; He is not only a tyrant, but also a genocidal maniac.

I'd rather just be nothing for the rest of eternity than have to go to either of those places. But honestly, I'd rather go to Hell than Heaven. At least in Hell I could still think freely.

Heaven is a place where believers of Jesus Christ and what He did go. You also must confess your sins and ask for forgiveness. Adolf Hitler was not a Christian. We aren't a works-righteous religion. We aren't a religion at all. It is a faith. We want to go to Heaven, and live eternally with God. There will be no sin and heartache there. You are misunderstanding the parts where God destroys cities and peoples. They were evil, terrible, horrific people and enemies of God. Their babies went to Heaven. It is ones choice whether they believe it not. I'm glad you posted that, so I can clear some things up. :)

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Ok, I believe we live on forever after death in either Heaven or Hell. If you believe Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins and came back from the dead three days later, you go to Heaven. You must admit you are a sinner. The only unforgivable sin is blaspheming the Holy Spirit. On the other hand, if you don't believe, you are going to Hell. It is someone's choice to believe or not. Those who go to Heaven will be with God and other believers for eternity. Everyone else...will be in Hell forever. (It's not a fun place).

Pffft, koff~

We all know that it was Horus who created our planet and. . . wait. No that was Zeus from Olympus. . . no, Shiva. Wait, wasn't that Odin? Or that giant turtle? To say that your God is the only true God is not only ignorant, but rude and extremely violent.

Also, there is no feasible way to verify whether or not a book written by a group of old fogeys who sat around thinking that the earth was a couple thousand years old. Why? Because they had no sense of idea, they had no ability to verify true events. The bible is a book filled with glorious fantasy and grand epics full of dazzling sorcery and great triumphs over evil.

f you truly believe that the bible is true, please look towards Homer's grand epics. Once man had the ability to write, he had the ability to spin tales of fiction. For you to deny this fact is ridiculous.

Further more, the very first story in the bible surrounding Adam and Eve is a bunch of mumbo jumbo. If indeed this all powerful being created everything, that also means he created things down to the microscopic level and the new strains of viruses we continue to discover have just 'been there' with no mention of mutation or viruses' ability to evolve over time.

The bible is the only book in the world to spread hatred and death since it's creation. It still spreads hatred and violence to this day, look at your own words and tell me they don't just seethe with distaste at any and all who do not believe the same things you do. I believe that supporting the bible just feeds the flames and justifies the killings of millions, koff~

Back