• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What happens when we die?

Years
  • Almost every single culture and civilization has some form of an afterlife, living on after the death of the physical body in another plane of existence outside of the boundaries of the physical world, whether it be Heaven, Elysium, Valhalla, etc., for the righteous and good of heart, or Hell, the Greco-Roman Underworld, Xibalba, the Mesoamerican realm for the evil and wicked, to name a few examples.

Where do you think the human consciousness goes when it dies? Do we exist in some kind of ethereal form, as a ghost, or does our spirit move on to another realm? Or does nothing happen at all?

What do you believe?

Last edited:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I used to believe for a long time that you go to heaven/hell, but now I believe that nothing happens, kinda like when you're sleeping but not dreaming.

Years
  • I was always scared of dying when I was a kid, because I didn't know what would happen to me. The thought of sleeping forever scared me, and to an extent it still does. My consciousness wandering in total darkness is something I hope I never have to go through. Needless to say that Christianity gives me comfort, and I'm able to live life every day without worrying about death so much. Before I go any further, I just want to state that I don't intend to hijack this thread and turn it into a war between religions. I just want to give you guys my input.

Now that I'm Catholic, I believe in a third realm as well: Purgatory. It's never explained thoroughly in the Bible, but Catholics teach that a state of purification does, in fact, exist. To those who don't know, Purgatory is a process when the souls go through in order to be purified.

That's what I believe anyway. Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory. Heaven is where the "unclean" in spirit may be united with God, Hell being the place of eternal damnation, and Purgatory is where those who died "unclean" and still in friendship with God can be purified.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • According to hindu religion people go either to swarg or nark. Heaven and hell of hindus respectively. Me? Don't believe in either. Once you're dead - poof. Nothing happens. No consciousness, no soul/spirit form, nothing. Which is exactly why I am terrified of the prospect of dying. Have been and will always be.

It also kinda makes the achievements in your life sort of meaningless. I mean all that hard work and crap and everything just disappears in the blink of an eye. Most people's existence isn't even remembered. Quite sad if you think about it.

Exactly why I have sort of big ambitions. I want the world to remember me after I'm gone. To not be forgotten. To be immortal.

Years
  • I used to be afraid of death, and I convinced myself that I didn't know what would happen. Somewhere down the road I accepted it as an inevitability, and I'm okay with believing that you just disappear.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I am a Christian, so according to my beliefs, when I die, my spirit goes home to be with the Lord in Heaven. Now I don't know where Heaven is nor most anyone living here on Earth does, but I do believe it is real and I have faith that when I am one day called to go, that is where my destination is. These are my views, so please respect it.

Sir Codin

The D&D Planescape cosmology sounds appealing enough that I really really REALLY wish it to be true. That when you die, you become a petitioner on an plane of existence closely aligned with how you acted when you were alive.

*sigh* But I suppose I can only dream.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • People can wish for anything but honestly, try to think of it from a rational standpoint. Life, as you know it, is merely the result of the proper functioning of the various organs that make up your body. There's nothing like a soul or spirit in us as far as my opinion goes. Once you're dead then nothing remains. I mean, what reason is there for us to believe in an afterlife save the need we feel to deal with our fear of death?

OmegaTL

Time Lord
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2013
    I don't think anything happens to be honest. As some other people in this thread have said, I assume it'd just be like sleeping but not dreaming.

Years
  • Nothing will probably happen, but I'd like to think that you're just an invisible soul that can pretty much see and do anything and not affect the world or something.

Years
  • Well, I'm more of a scientific guy who believes in said theories(doesn't mean I don't believe in god), but as you grow, you begin to understand better what life is and how to enjoy it. I sometimes question myself, if there even is hell or heaven. I always wondered if they say this just to calm people down. By this I mean, since when we were kids they've always say that doing good deeds and living an honest life will make you got to heaven, while doing incorrect, violent and sinful things while get you a ticket straight to hell. In my perspective, I think of this as a way for humanity to maintain morals and difference themselves from what's bad or good. So in my opinion, I think of dying as a way where after you decay, all those things go back to the environment. What do I mean by this? Well to put it in other words, humans are made of a couple of elements, and when we die, we're just returning back to how we used to be, part of the Earth. Having this in mind, I get reminded of how evolution works, where theories says we started as bacteria and then slowly form into organisms. As for what happens to our consciousness, I don't know. Science won't always be able to explain everything, this is where things such as faith and beliefs come in.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't think anything happens to be honest. As some other people in this thread have said, I assume it'd just be like sleeping but not dreaming.

That's an interesting thought. We're not 100% conscious when we sleep, but what is it like to have no consciousness? Can we even perceive having no consciousness when our thoughts occur in the frame of the conscious?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    People can wish for anything but honestly, try to think of it from a rational standpoint. Life, as you know it, is merely the result of the proper functioning of the various organs that make up your body. There's nothing like a soul or spirit in us as far as my opinion goes. Once you're dead then nothing remains. I mean, what reason is there for us to believe in an afterlife save the need we feel to deal with our fear of death?
    For people who do believe in religion and its ideas about the after-life, they are thinking rationally. The whole concept of religion (as far as I'm concerned) deals with soul and spirit: a non-physical, almost other-worldly existence. You may not believe in a soul or spirit, but to someone who does associate with a religion and its certain principles (obviously depending on which religion), to think there is no soul would be irrational. The afterlife is taught about in various religious texts, and any person who believes in the validity of these texts has reason to believe in its existence.

SinfulGuroRose

Ignore me, I'm socially inept.
    Years
  • Strangely enough, I've always believed in the soul before I've believed in any sort of diety. I believe in the separation of consciousness and body, with the consciousness being what we commonly refer to as a soul. That said, my religious beliefs are somewhat ambiguous, as I don't believe there is a way to ascertain what happens to the soul beyond death without experiencing it.
    Whatever happens, happens, and I'm comforted by my personal experiences and insight on the existence of the consciousness to live and let be.

Shamol

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
    Years
  • People can wish for anything but honestly, try to think of it from a rational standpoint. Life, as you know it, is merely the result of the proper functioning of the various organs that make up your body. There's nothing like a soul or spirit in us as far as my opinion goes. Once you're dead then nothing remains. I mean, what reason is there for us to believe in an afterlife save the need we feel to deal with our fear of death?

I'd have to disagree here. A "rational standpoint" doesn't necessitate non-belief in soul or consciousness. I can relate to your position (even though I don't agree with it), given naturalism is the "orthodox" worldview of the academia nowadays. But the concept of mind-body dualism is something that has been hotly debated by scientists and philosophers of repute for quite some time, and by the way things are looking, one can't waive off the dualist case as easily. Some people say progress in Neuroscience would gradually come to replace philosophy of mind-related discourses. But many philosophers have argued convincingly (to my mind, at least) that the question of dualism is something that lies beyond the scope of neuroscience, or any science for that matter. This doesn't mean that testable hypotheses cannot be constructed for or against its favor, however. For a basic introduction on this issue, you may want to take a look at this book, or google "substance dualism" in general.

Second, there is a growing public awareness about the empirical evidence for the existence of consciousness. Studies about what is colloquially referred to as paranormal events e.g. Near-Death Events, Visions, life-recalls etc, have been published in peer-reviewed literature. I've partially surveyed the evidence, and they are by no means anecdotal- and at least a good chunk of these events stand irreducible to naturalistic explanations.

These two lines of evidences make it far from clear that the non-existence of soul or consciousness is an obvious, non-controversial issue. I leave it to you to judge the evidences for yourself, but I think the cumulative case does argue strongly for the existence of a soul or consciousness.

That being said, a minimalistic belief in life after death (i.e. there is some sort of life after death, only I don't know how it is) seems pretty warranted. What is the exact nature of that life- that's where something all philosophy and speculation stops short. This is the only way (I think) we could make progress: instead of judging the merits of different hereafter models in isolation, we should judge the worldview that entails such a model. For example, I don't believe in Valhallla because the worldview that entails this concept- Nordic religion- is something I know to be false. So if a worldview can be shown to be true, and if that worldview is inclusive of an answer to the "what happens after death" question, then that's the answer we should adopt. Not because of the answer itself, but because of the rational justification of the worldview that entails it.

I personally believe in a traditionally conceived theistic afterlife. Death resembles disembodiment, and the soul is judged on the basis of it's virtue to enter paradise or hellfire. I'm an agnostic about the length of hellfire though.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    What happens to you when you do is the same that happens to every other biological creature on this planet. But we humans do get a bonus, with death comes freedom from taxes and bills and rent and all that fun stuff none of us looks forward to.

Peter Quill

Star-Lord, Legendary Outlaw
    Years
  • I've been thinking about this for a long time. I am thinking more about the consciousness part.
    There is no way to prove exactly what happens. After all, no one can give you a full account when said person is dead. I guess the closest thing to knowing is being near-death. There are lots of accounts on that, but we can only take all this with speculation. Philosophical questions are awesome.

I don't know why, but I believe in reincarnation. I guess it makes things awesome for me.

Crux

Evermore
    Years

• This just about made my night. The Mayan mythos are honestly really freakin' awesome, and to see somebody else who has even basic knowledge of them is really spectacular. Kudos, man. Kudos.

But I digress!

"Non omnis moriar."
    I personally believe in the existence of the soul, or spirit. A life force that inhabits the human body whilst it lives, and can take certain shapes after death. Verbi gratia, an apparition, a disembodied voice, or as an intangible force that can manipulate it's surroundings.
    Idealy, said spirit, or soul, would 'move on' and be reborn. How they are reborn though, why, I haven't the foggiest.

Back