• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What have Pokemon done for you?

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    This thread is for those who have a story about how the Pokemon games and or anime, or anything Pokemon related has effected their lives. How somehow Pokemon has done something for you. My story is below, and its kind of definitely long, I hope whoever reads it enjoys though :)

I'm a die-hard Pokemon fan. By "die-hard" I don't mean I know everything about all the Pokemon, the characters, the regions, or anything similar to that. What I mean when I call myself that is I can literally spend hours playing a Pokemon game. I can usually beat a Pokemon game in around 7-9 hours, which means I can spend about 3 and a half to 5 hours playing in one day. I've traveled all around the Pokemon World and there's a reason for it other then the fact that its just fun. I've had a less then great life. While its true I'm not and have never been dirt-poor, homeless, etc. I've had a pretty harsh life, and as weird as it may sound, Pokemon helped me through it all. Whenever stuff would get bad when I was little, whenever it gets bad even today, I can forget some of my troubles by traversing the Pokemon World. I remember when Red Version came out and I bought it. When stuff got rough in the household, or just rough in general I could and would sit for hours walking the Routes and battling Trainers. By the time I got to Vermillion CIty I had a Charizard, and no matter what game, having my starter on it last evolutionary form before beating the third Gym Leader has become the norm. When I picked up that Gameboy Pocket/Color and put the Pokemon game in the slot and turned it on, my adventure was beginning, not the Player's. I was Red, or at least I'd imagine myself as him. I trained the Pokemon, beat the Trainers & the Leaders. No matter what crap was going on in my life, then or now, it all seemed to get a little better when I turn on the system. Being able to forget about some of the crappieness going on in my life by pretending the guy being controlled by the D-pad was me was grand, it still is. Pokemon helped me cope with lots of crap. Maybe this sounds unhealthy to some, maybe I just sound nuts, but I don't think so. I'll forever love the Pokemon games for the sense of adventure and challenges they gave me, and more importantly, for helping me "escape" the crap-storms of my childhood. They aren't just games to me, so whether there's 600-something Pokemon like now, or 6,000-something, I'll still play the games, and still(try)to catch 'em all.

Kelp

<3
    Years
    That's actually a very touching story. ^_^

And while I can't say the same, Pokemon has taken up much of the dull an dreary life I've lead thus far. Without it, I'm not sure how long the days would seem. All those 12-hr. rides to my family for Christmas would've been wasted if I had just slept. Plus the added vocabulary doesn't hurt.

Vulpes bicaudata

Charmander Fanboy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    You know, Pokémon has changed my life.

I got a Game Boy when I was five, along with a couple games: Wordtris, Pac-man, Yoshi's Cookie, and The Lion King. And they were OK, especially Wordtris, but I formed the opinion that video games were nothing special.

Then, when I was eight, the first Pokémon games came out. I decided to get Blue, and I started it up. I soon realized... THIS is what a video game should be like.

Without Pokémon, I might not be a video game fan today, or at least I would have had become one a different way. All other game series that I love–The Legend of Zelda, Sonic the Hedgehog–Pokémon made my love for them possible.

In other words, Pokémon made me realize the potential of the art form known as the video game.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    All those 12-hr. rides to my family for Christmas would've been wasted if I had just slept. Plus the added vocabulary doesn't hurt.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "added vocabulary" but I totally know the feeling of the long drives. All of my family is about 12 hours away, more with traffic, and I'd play whatever Pokemon game I had with me for about half of the ride. Not only did the time pass fairly quickly, but I was steps closer to being the best there ever was xD

Kelp

<3
    Years
    Yeah even for FireRed which I got for Christmas, I already knew the whole plot, but the first run was still amazing, and helped pass the time.

And by vocabulary, I meant that I learned a bunch of new words from all the pokemon moves. x)

I.e. Endeavor, Fissure, etc.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    Without Pokémon, I might not be a video game fan today, or at least I would have had become one a different way. All other game series that I love–The Legend of Zelda, Sonic the Hedgehog–Pokémon made my love for them possible.

In other words, Pokémon made me realize the potential of the art form known as the video game.

That's crazy! My other two favorite games series', the only two that I really love besides Pokemon, are Sonic The Hedgehog and The Legend of Zelda! Lol. I get what you mean though. I think that if Pokemon hadn't had the impact on me that it did, that if it sucked like I thought most of the games at the time did, I wouldn't be as big of a video game fan, as opened-minded to new games, or anywhere as near appreciative of the electronic arts.

Yeah even for FireRed which I got for Christmas, I already knew the whole plot, but the first run was still amazing, and helped pass the time.

And by vocabulary, I meant that I learned a bunch of new words from all the pokemon moves. x)

I.e. Endeavor, Fissure, etc.

Ah, I gotcha' on the vocab. I learned some new words too. The ones you mentioned, and some new ones, I just can't think of them. Lol. I thought Fire Red was amazing! I knew it was going to be like Red Version, but I didn't expect it to be so similar, yet different. Like when I walked out of Blaine's Gym expecting to go whip Giovanni like I had done so many years before, only to have Bill instead bring me to One Island for a completely different "quest". I loved it! I still have my Fire Red Version, I've restarted it many times, and it never gets old. I even still have my Red Version.

Last edited:

Ernest

PokeMonRuleZ
    Years
    If it wasn't Pokemon, I won't be good in drawing Anime today. Back in school few years ago, me and one of my close friend used to create our own comic for the whole class to read. We always compete with each other to see who can make the best fan made manga. :)

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    That's really cool. I always wanted to draw my own comic, especially my own Pokemon comic. I never got around to it though.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    I actually met a lot of my friends through Pokemon. The little guys made my elementary school years possible to survive. My best memories from my childhood surround the Gold/Silver/Crystal days. I really miss the old Game Link Cable, even though trading now is much easier. The WiFi stuff.

I have been into Pokemon since the actual series began, back in 1996, but I didn't play the games until Gold in '99. I pretty much ended up tied to it all the time, I never put the game down for any reason, not even to go to school. Other studends would bring their GB's to school and we would sneak and attach the links together and battle and trade. I met some really cool people doing that, and I even collected and traded cards. Even though people fell out of it, I really couldn't because those were some of the best years of my life.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    I've had a less then great life. While its true I'm not and have never been dirt-poor, homeless, etc. I've had a pretty harsh life, and as weird as it may sound, Pokemon helped me through it all. Whenever stuff would get bad when I was little, whenever it gets bad even today, I can forget some of my troubles by traversing the Pokemon World.

... No matter what crap was going on in my life, then or now, it all seemed to get a little better when I turn on the system. Being able to forget about some of the crappieness going on in my life by pretending the guy being controlled by the D-pad was me was grand, it still is. Pokemon helped me cope with lots of crap. Maybe this sounds unhealthy to some, maybe I just sound nuts, but I don't think so. I'll forever love the Pokemon games for the sense of adventure and challenges they gave me, and more importantly, for helping me "escape" the crap-storms of my childhood. They aren't just games to me.

Yep, that about sums it up for me. Its been my escape, and my companion when I'm bored/ lonely... I've tried to give up Pokemon and move on, but I can't. I'm addicted. xD

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    I remember the link cables, those were the days! Sure WIFI has its perks, but there's massive amounts of nostalgia in those little wires. Pokemon helped with my elementary school days too. It helped me make friends, and gave me a reason to do my homework. "Finish your homework and you can play Pokemon", lol. I myself never got into playing the Pokemon card game. I remember collecting the cards and trading them though. I had a rare, mint-condition, Charizard. It was beast! I found out some years ago that if I still had it, it would have been worth like $200 T_T

... I've tried to give up Pokemon and move on, but I can't. I'm addicted. xD

That's the same thing with me. No matter how old I get, no matter who says "Pokemon is for kids" or anything similar, I can't and won't stop playing. Sure its a game, but it means to much to me. Lol. Even if I didn't mean much to me, its just so fun...despite the fact that in 2011 I'ma hafta try to catch all 600-something. Haha.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I first got into Pokemon through the cards, then the show, and finally the games. I've been playing Pokemon ever since R/S/E, and can't stop. It's like Pokemon is a part of me now. If I hadn't gotten into Pokemon into the first place, I wouldn't know what to do during my spare time.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    Well, it made me spend a bunch of money on pieces of paper, that's for sure.
    What have Pokemon done for you?

But other than that, not much, other than introducing me to this place, and giving me hours of entertainment. :P

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    My story is a bit complicated.
    In the past years when I was little, my little brother was the one who had a love for Pokémon. Actually, it was the cards he loved, not the games. He would trade with his friends and collect like crazy. I, however, only had little interest in Pokémon. Though I found some of his cards rather...cool. He even let me have a few.
    When Pokémon Diamond and Pearl were released my brother bought Diamond and enjoyed it loads. Soon Platinum was released and he bought that as well. Then, I don't know how it exactly happened, but throughout that time I started growing a love for Pokémon. Of course, we both didn't really care for the cards anymore, but that's not important. While my brother was playing Platinum, I started my Pokémon journey in the Sinnoh region in Pokémon Diamond. And I'm still playing it as of today!
    Now I only started my journey about a year or two ago. And I'm 17 now. Many people take Pokémon as a kid's thing, but I disagree. I only wish that I started loving Pokémon sooner.
    But that won't stop me. I'll move on to the Isshu region once Black & White are released.
    I don't really have much problems in life (I am an asperger though). I tend to think things more positively. Pokémon, however, gives me a mysterious happiness. It sort of opened me to another world of adventure to me.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    But other than that, not much, other than introducing me to this place, and giving me hours of entertainment. :P

Lol. Introducing you to the PKMN Community and giving you hours of entertainment doesn't sound to bad at all.

My story is a bit complicated.
    In the past years when I was little, my little brother was the one who had a love for Pokémon. Actually, it was the cards he loved, not the games. He would trade with his friends and collect like crazy. I, however, only had little interest in Pokémon. Though I found some of his cards rather...cool. He even let me have a few.
    When Pokémon Diamond and Pearl were released my brother bought Diamond and enjoyed it loads. Soon Platinum was released and he bought that as well. Then, I don't know how it exactly happened, but throughout that time I started growing a love for Pokémon. Of course, we both didn't really care for the cards anymore, but that's not important. While my brother was playing Platinum, I started my Pokémon journey in the Sinnoh region in Pokémon Diamond. And I'm still playing it as of today!
    Now I only started my journey about a year or two ago. And I'm 17 now. Many people take Pokémon as a kid's thing, but I disagree. I only wish that I started loving Pokémon sooner.
    But that won't stop me. I'll move on to the Isshu region once Black & White are released.
    I don't really have much problems in life (I am an asperger though). I tend to think things more positively. Pokémon, however, gives me a mysterious happiness. It sort of opened me to another world of adventure to me.

I hope you understand what I mean.

I get ya', especially the "mysterious happiness" part and "another world of adventure". So many people just write Pokemon off as a kids game, they say you're "immature" if you play it and you're older then the age of like 12. That really ins't the case though. I can't wait for Black and White to come out, and the next games after that, and after that. I don't ever see myself getting bored with Pokemon, and even if I do get bored with the next few generations of games, I still have my Red Version :D

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I can totally agree with people who treat it as like an "escape from reality". Sometimes I think the internet's ruined them for me.....but in other ways it's made them much better.

For me, I find it awkward because I got into it late (most people my age were Yellow/ GSC players) with Emerald. But I still love it, and I have bought an older game than my first one (LeafGreen). So in a way, I guess I'm like TJGamer....except slightly younger.

You just have to wait for conversation to die down to find that everyone still plays it though. It's got this pull that people can't resist.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    I remember when Emerald first came out. I was so excited because I loved Ruby Version and Emerald was like Ruby+Sapphire+some new stuff! It was cool having a Pokemon game with animated Pokemon too, because I hadn't seen that since Crystal. Lots of people say they didn't like Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, but I really hope they make a remake of them. I got hours of enjoyment out of HOENN. I understand what you mean about the internet kinda ruining it, at least I think I do. I sometimes get that feeling.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
    Pokemon was my obsesion when I was just a kid. Nowdays, I'm 18, and I still enjoy not only playing Pokemon games, but generally doing anything related to it.

Some people my reffer it as juvenile, but I don't think so. IMO Pokemon is a great oportunity for anyone to do something you would never be able to do in real life, So what's not to like there?

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    IMO Pokemon is a great oportunity for anyone to do something you would never be able to do in real life, So what's not to like there?

That's a really good way to word it. That's exactly it. In real life you may have a crappy job, a hard life, or whatever, but the second you switch on a Pokemon game, you're this amazing Trainer. You have a world all about you, and your destined for greatness. Maybe that's why so many people, old & young, love Pokemon?

Back