• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] What if Pokémon Home is amazing?

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2019
    This is just what I'm thinking about now. I wonder if anyone else who's disappointed about the transfer limitations might feel better if Home turns out something like this. I'd also love to hear other people's hopes and ideas for Home.

Here's what's on my mind:

1. Home ID supersedes OT for all Pokémon, effectively making even event mons and trade mons "yours", with all the benefits that implies.

2. Home ID replaces OT in main series games so that your Home avatar is now the Trainer in every game you play. This is especially interesting if all purchased customization items from main series games are usable in Home, and if the aesthetic of Home really is a customizable home and virtual community. We'd "live" at Home, but go out on various adventures in main series games.

3. Home itself has genuinely interesting content. One thing mentioned in the announcement of Home is that it will be designed to "support updates for future Pokémon content". What if there's interaction with characters from the series, based on your Home ID's play history with the games? What if there are seasonal events or special forms of gameplay that constantly change and evolve, and ALL of your Pokémon can participate?

Would it then feel kind of fun? Like Home is the constant base experience and every new gen then becomes a new playground where you can play with a selection of your mons, catch new ones, and return Home. Your Home ID, Avatar (if you want), and your Pokémon become constants from game to game, across Gens and experiences.

I'm starting to see potential here. One version of my ideal Pokémon game is like Nintendogs. I just want to interact with the Pokémon themselves and take photos. That could be an aspect of Home. While, of course, online trading (and battling? …it wasn't mentioned) could be other aspects. It could be fun.

I've moved past denial. I understand that this is in fact happening. So I'm trying to think of what they could offer in light of what's being lost that would balance the cost for me personally. I'm still fairly shocked, though, so please forgive me if these are silly ideas.

Pig

Angry ecologist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    1. Home ID supersedes OT for all Pokémon, effectively making even event mons and trade mons "yours", with all the benefits that implies.

Okay this I like. Especially if it means being able to finally rename traded Pokemon, which is a long time coming. I caught those, GF, come on.

2. Home ID replaces OT in main series games so that your Home avatar is now the Trainer in every game you play. This is especially interesting if all purchased customization items from main series games are usable in Home, and if the aesthetic of Home really is a customizable home and virtual community. We'd "live" at Home, but go out on various adventures in main series games.

Also a good thought, not sure what you mean by the Home avatar being the trainer in every game you play, though. Being able to use the collective customization options from each upcoming game in Home: yes. Not so sure about the other way around.

3. Home itself has genuinely interesting content. One thing mentioned in the announcement of Home is that it will be designed to "support updates for future Pokémon content". What if there's interaction with characters from the series, based on your Home ID's play history with the games? What if there are seasonal events or special forms of gameplay that constantly change and evolve, and ALL of your Pokémon can participate?

Would it then feel kind of fun? Like Home is the constant base experience and every new gen then becomes a new playground where you can play with a selection of your mons, catch new ones, and return Home. Your Home ID, Avatar (if you want), and your Pokémon become constants from game to game, across Gens and experiences.

I'm starting to see potential here. One version of my ideal Pokémon game is like Nintendogs. I just want to interact with the Pokémon themselves and take photos. That could be an aspect of Home. While, of course, online trading (and battling? …it wasn't mentioned) could be other aspects. It could be fun.

Like Pokemon Ranch, but more?

Honestly I like this idea. It allows for future games to be a bit more fleshed out, open, and not trapped in their own sandboxes.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I was also thinking about the possibility of having a Pokemon Ranch like game but make it more in-depth. Like a Pokemon version of Harvest Moon mixed with Stardew Valley. (with maybe a hint of Animal Crossing) I could see a game like this being very good for breeders, shiny hunters or people who like collecting Pokemon. (and also looking after Pokemon in general ala Pokemon Refresh)

Another possibility I was thinking of was if they included some kind of battling capability in Pokemon Home. Like an official version of Pokemon Showdown. They could even bring back classic sprites for the service and have it be a more "free for all" battling format. I don't think something like this would be too unfeasible and I think it would go a long way to satisfying competitive players.

It would be nice if these games were made with the intention of updating them over a period of time. (like Pokemon Go)

I think having some spinoff games that take advantage of the Pokemon we have in Pokemon Home would go a long way to making people feel better about the whole situation. Otherwise there will probably be Pokemon stuck in the service with nothing interesting to do. I don't really consider some kind of Poke Pelago or Dreamworld feature as that interesting, they're fine as compliments to the main games but I feel like they wouldn't work as well if they were being promoted as the only reason to keep non-Galar Pokemon relevant.

While I'm definitely upset at what has happened I feel like part of it could be because Game Freak have withheld too much information about Home. It's pretty easy to imagine the worst right now.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 14, 2022
    It's not impossible that Pokemon Home is free with NSO. NSO would be required to transfer pokes to switch and is already 20$ a year. Also, how many mobile apps can you name that require a yearly subscription?

Pig

Angry ecologist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    I was also thinking about the possibility of having a Pokemon Ranch like game but make it more in-depth. Like a Pokemon version of Harvest Moon mixed with Stardew Valley. (with maybe a hint of Animal Crossing) I could see a game like this being very good for breeders, shiny hunters or people who like collecting Pokemon. (and also looking after Pokemon in general ala Pokemon Refresh)

That might be a bit too much, BUT, considering we have items like "packs of potatoes" a form of literally, but virtually, farming our own ingredients does seem interesting, like how crazy we were allowed to go over berries in RSE/ORAS, but now with a slightly more in depth farm.

I think having some spinoff games that take advantage of the Pokemon we have in Pokemon Home would go a long way to making people feel better about the whole situation. Otherwise there will probably be Pokemon stuck in the service with nothing interesting to do. I don't really consider some kind of Poke Pelago or Dreamworld feature as that interesting, they're fine as compliments to the main games but I feel like they wouldn't work as well if they were being promoted as the only reason to keep non-Galar Pokemon relevant.

This is why I support an in depth Home experience like the example possibilites mentioned above. If it turns out we really can't transfer all old Pokemon, what will we do with the ones in Limbo just sitting in Home?

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    It would be incredibly unrealistic....but I was just thinking a lot of peoples issues would probably disappear if they came out with a "Pokemon Maker" type game that had assets from gens 3, 4, 5 available to create your own regions and include whatever Pokemon you wanted in it and then share it with other people.

Again I doubt this will ever ever ever happen (because really making a Pokemon game is a lot more involved than making a Mario level), but I do think it's the one thing that would make the biggest difference. (since people could still use every Pokemon in the context of a Pokemon game)

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2019
    Also a good thought, not sure what you mean by the Home avatar being the trainer in every game you play, though. Being able to use the collective customization options from each upcoming game in Home: yes. Not so sure about the other way around.

I explained it poorly. The way I would personally use it is to have a consistent Trainer avatar, with the same name and look across games. However, I think the only thing the system actually locks in place is the Home ID. Some players enjoy changing both their name and avatar. With Home ID linked to your personal Pokémon, I think the system could accommodate both types of players, AND let us rename any Pokémon in our Home.

It would be nice if these games were made with the intention of updating them over a period of time. (like Pokemon Go)

Home definitely is, for what it's worth. That's explicitly stated and up on screen as text during the Home announcement presentation.

While I'm definitely upset at what has happened I feel like part of it could be because Game Freak have withheld too much information about Home. It's pretty easy to imagine the worst right now.

I'm not thinking of Poké Pelago and Dream World as they were, but ramped up, beyond Pokémon Ranch even, as you say. I want to go spelunking in caves and exploring through forests alongside the Pokémon in a way that feels fresh. It's something like Mystery Dungeon, if Trainers also interacted in MD, but different, too. I'm having a hard time putting it into words clearly.

I imagine being able to interact with other players, as well as characters from the entire history of games. I imagine it driven by lore and nostalgia and being a hub rather than a full game in terms of scope and scale; but in terms of atmosphere and experience, really feeling like the MMO that connects ALL Regions into the cohesive Pokémon world.

I know it isn't going to be this, but if it's even trying to approach it, I might feel more comfortable with what's happening.

Yes to battling, but I don't want "classic sprites"; I want the full poly HD models. And Home could be the only place going forward that has a special shop selling Megastones and battles where Mega is still an option. Losing Z-Moves is okay for me, even though I'm a fan, personally. But Mega Evolution really became part of the DNA of some mons; it's not as easy to just let that go.

It's not impossible that Pokemon Home is free with NSO. NSO would be required to transfer pokes to switch and is already 20$ a year. Also, how many mobile apps can you name that require a yearly subscription?

I'll be shocked if it's free. That would be amazing. And appropriate, since Bank already isn't, but I doubt it.

So…

After a few days of really processing everything, reading all sides and taking it all in, I'm still disappointed. My biggest disappointment is with the way it's being handled, though; not necessarily the news itself.

IF we'd gotten the National Dex in USUM and IF Pokédex 3D Pro had been updated as a kind of "time capsule" of the handheld era, I'd be much, much happier. Had it been marketed as such, sales of USUM could've probably seen another bump and Pokédex 3D Pro would certainly have seen boosted sales. Since Game Freak was never able to do it in-game, the Pokédex 3D Pro is the only way to see what these models are like in full 3D. Whether you like the stereoscopic effect or not, the fact that it was never used effectively in a Pokémon game does add value to the Pokédex 3D Pro experience, at least for me. And the trivia games are awesome!

They needed to acknowledge that we were ending an era, celebrate it. And THEN move on. Also, if we're moving on, why not really move on? Why not be as bold as Black and White? Have NO prior Gen Pokémon until postgame. I'd have more respect for that, I think. It would show that creative innovation really is what this is about. I actually wish that every Region was like this, and that Home is the place Regions can mix.

IF Home is a fantastic interactive experience, I'll actually enjoy this in a way. As long as there are a variety of ways to interact with Pokémon at Home, the anticipation and excitement of finding out that a Pokémon that got "snapped" is now back in Gen 9 or 10 could even be fun. It could make that game and Region more endearing to me.

It really depends on Home. Home needs to be an infinitely playable experience that appeals to battlers, breeders, collectors, cuddlers (Amie/Refresh-types like myself), Ribbon collectors, Contest performers, berry farmers, PHOTOGRAPHERS, etc. It also needs to offer new experiences we've never seen. It needs to be the best of all Pokémon interactions. I need to think it's more fun to have my Pokémon at Home than to keep them in the games where they're actually playable.

I hope, somehow, that what Home offers that really differentiates it is that it uses Natures and Characteristics and play experiences, etc. to really create interactions that feel like "getting to know" my Pokémon beyond what battling alone offers. Then I'd actually be excited about it, but this doesn't sound like anything I'd expect at this point.

Also, Home needs to offer the definitive Global Pokédex, with all entries from throughout the series' history combined. The entries should also include new lore and hyperlinks between entries, ie: Creation Trio and Tapu all linked to each other. The new Pokédex should include all forms and Shinies. It should streamline the lore to this point, as well as mechanics. It should include evolution information for every entry and it should be possible to add bookmarks and notes.

If Home really does feel like a comprehensive interactive/lore/social experience, it might be fine. But the way they've handled this transition and announcement puts so much pressure on Home, and they're leaving so much space for speculation, that I fear it is very unlikely that the ultimate reveal of what Home actually is will inevitably disappoint. So we'll go through this process of panicking, calming down, wait and see… Then we'll see Home, the wound will be reopened, and it will be even harder to want to even bother with Pokémon again. That will be even closer to Sword and Shield's release, and I can really see it swinging me into the "do not buy" camp. There is a huge amount of pressure on Home now to be all things to all players, and I'm not sure it's really designed for that.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • What if I forgot to pay, even with the time grace period, what if I suddenly am in debt, where will my Pokemon go, that is a huge question though.

I love my hard copy games for that absolute reason-- At least they are safe with me. I don't even keep a single one of them in my Pokebank.

I do hope they have a lot of security and things for these issues.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Pokemon Ranch was neat because you could see the pokemon messing around and do funny stuff, and take photos of them too. It would be neat if we could see something like that...

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Pokemon Ranch was neat because you could see the pokemon messing around and do funny stuff, and take photos of them too. It would be neat if we could see something like that...
    I want that for Pokemon Home, but with even better graphics. It would be nice to play around with them on a downtime while they were stored there!

Sugar-Fable

Pokemon Princess
    Years
  • I have always wanted a game similar to Nintendogs but with Pokemon... Maybe this will be even better! One can hope~

Back