• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What if Pokemon Z happened?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • With the release of X&Y, it's been speculated that there could be a Pokemon Z as the possible 'third' game of this arc, but instead, Pokemon Sun and Moon were introduced as the 7th Gen of Pokemon. So, let's wonder, what if Pokemon Z were actually a thing?

What if Pokemon Z happened?

What sorts of new features and improvements should Pokemon Z have that improves over Pokemon Z and Pokemon Y? How could Pokemon Z change the story, if say, Zygarde was the main focus of the plot? What would of been a good post game for the game? Feel free to share any thoughts and ideas!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    It's hard to know how exactly it would have turned out, but at least it probably would've been slightly better than XY, given that 3rd versions have always been better than their paired counterparts. Probably would've revolved around Zygarde somehow, maybe even its other two forms (that were just thrown into Gen 7 for some reason).

Years
    • Online now
    For Gen 6, a sequel would have worked better than a 3rd version. It revolved around those 5 characters, and a sequel could showcase what happened to them. And it could still feature Zygarde.

Years
  • i've always been one of those people that were skeptical about whether a hypothetical "Pokemon Z" would really fix any of the faults that XY had. a lot of people complained about XY feeling "incomplete", but third versions are not sequels. they're essentially and always have been the same game wrapped up in a slightly different package with slight differences in plot and maybe some additional features. i suppose the question should then be "should a slightly different plot and more features save XY?"

which... i dunno. like the concept of Team Flare's goals are dark, but it's so weird how a team so fixated on worldwide genocide look so... goofy. i mean, pokemon is one of those games where even if the subject matter is dark there has to be somewhat of a light tone to it because it's a kids game, but Team Flare's designs went a bit too far here and i didn't feel a sense of overwhelming weight because the grunts were so doofy-looking. the infamous rivals will also still be there in the third game and maybe they'll have slightly different lines, but it's not like Game Freak is going to chuck them out of a window and replace them with different rivals.

that said, if one manages to get past the plot and into the post-game, and maybe if there was more to do in the post-game (which Game Freak has never really seemed to get right post-BW2), then i can see sixth gen being a bit more enjoyable to some people. maybe if there was a bit more than just battle maison and battle chateau (which i love, by the way. excellent way of incorporate gym leader/e4 rematches). so if a Pokemon Z manages to fix that, then sixth gen would've been higher up on the list of gens that i've enjoyed, i think.

i have to admit it would be nice to see Zygarde included in its own generation, though.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Tbh, if Pokemon Z did happen, I'm pretty sure it would have just been X/Y with the Zygarde Core/Cube mechanics that were in the Sun/Moon games. I don't think that it would have been much different from that subquest in S/M at all. I truly do believe Game Freak was considering Pokemon Z at one time, but was pushed to make the next generation.

So, honestly, I just expect it to be a typical "third game" with third legendary added story stuff. I don't really think it would have been a sequel or anything remotely special.

Last edited:

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
    Years
  • XY definitely needed a third game here, the game reeked of being unfinished, and there are still several unsolved mysteries. The plot would definitely be revolving around Zygarde, for one thing. What I presume will be the case here is that Lysandre manages to take control of both Xerneas and Yveltal, and you have to stop him by going into Terminus Cave, where Zygarde normally is, except this time there's an entirely new area of dungeon behind where he once stood, suggesting he retreated further back into the cave. Also, the game would definitely take some time out to solve those unsolved mysteries - what's behind the locked Power Plant doors? What's the point of the ghost girl? What's with that enigmatic message in the station?

However, one thing is for certain - if it did get revealed, people would complain that it was a rehash of XY.

Years
  • I would love another game from Kalos. Even though I love XY, they weren't really polished and there was a lot of space for improvements. I'm pretty sure it would have the some kind of Zygarde side quest from SuMo. Maybe we race Team Flare in collecting all the cells and cores? But I think Z would have new Megas and all of them would be obtainable before post-game.

Back