• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

what if you can breed legendary pokemon?

STFUNAPPA1

If u r reading this u r dead
Years
  • your a trainer. you meet two other trainers who want to do a double battle. when the battle starts they send out Entei & Suicune. You send out the same pokemon. you ask how did you get those pokemon & they both say "breeded 'em".

Last edited:

HugSomebody

Trust me!~
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 25, 2011
    There's more than than one member of some species. o: Like Lugia and Ho-Oh. Species like Mew and Celebi are one of a kind though, if memory serves.

That being said...each legendary is meant to be a one of a kind deal in-game, that's what makes them special, so breeding would be strange.

Years
  • I always treated each legendary as one of a kind in thier game, and when you trade/battle another trainer, you're fighting "you" from a different dimension. Always made more sense to me than there being more than one Mewtwo. Otherwise it would mean that the scientists decided one angry pokemon with the power to destroy buildings with it's mind wasn't enough <.<

Years
  • Well, at least in movies there you can see groups of legendary Pokemon, like Shaymins in groups so there is not only 1 Shaymin -.-

Well, but movies and anime are just movies and anime xD

Years
  • I always treated each legendary as one of a kind in thier game, and when you trade/battle another trainer, you're fighting "you" from a different dimension. Always made more sense to me than there being more than one Mewtwo. Otherwise it would mean that the scientists decided one angry pokemon with the power to destroy buildings with it's mind wasn't enough <.<

This, definitely. Although it's conceivable for some legendaries that, although they belong to a species with more than one member, reproduction is impossible because their lifespans are either so much longer than that of a human that they're incapable of producing eggs with frequency, or the conditions necessary to hatch their eggs simply aren't present at the daycare. (I like to imagine that Heatran eggs have to be incubated for hundreds of year in the outer mantle of the planet.)

Years
  • This, definitely. Although it's conceivable for some legendaries that, although they belong to a species with more than one member, reproduction is impossible because their lifespans are either so much longer than that of a human that they're incapable of producing eggs with frequency, or the conditions necessary to hatch their eggs simply aren't present at the daycare. (I like to imagine that Heatran eggs have to be incubated for hundreds of year in the outer mantle of the planet.)

I agree, there should be legendaries that can breed, and others that can't because they're one of a kind. Ones that are one of a kind should include the Poke-God, and the three he chose to rule over time, space, and dimensions...there can't be multiples of those in the same universe. The same can be said for the lake guardians. Mewtwo is an obvious one of a kinder. The golems are like-wise.

Mew is a bit of a challenge given that some people insist that it is one of a kind, but others like to insist that they were the only pokemon(outside of the guardians and the ones that control reality) for awhile until they started to become specailized, and now only few Mew exist. Dark-rye bread and its flying croissant sandwich duck counterpart may also have more than one. The three dogs should be one of a kind, because Ho-oh revived them from the dead...and it sort of losses it's effect if Ho-oh is bringing back EVERY pokemon back from the dead in teh form of the dogs.

There can be more of the legendary birds though, as there is nothing that specifically restricts this. The same goes for Luigi and Ho-oh. Heatran is a possibility, like you already said. Celibi, with it's ability to go back in time, can, as shown in the movies, but all it's doing is making time-clones of itself and not really giving birth. Basically, any Pokemon that controls some aspect of life or have one purpose should be one of a kind, while the others can possibly bear children unless it has some sort of reason why it can't (Like Mewtwo being, I;m hoping, sterile :P)

Le Creep!

~don't act blonde.
    Years
  • It would take the fun out of the game.

However, it would be nice to get a Legendary at level 1 (I am aware that you could from Cynthia after an event) so you could train it, and it could learn all those moves it doesn't know when you catch it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2012
    One of each legendary is enough now especially since they're more than 6. So there is no need to breed them

*Charizard*

Velocity
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2012
    whats the point of having legendary pokemon if you could breed them? there would just be a massive amount of people owning ubers... which would suck!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    That would just make them not "Legendary" it would be a regular Pokemon then, and whats the fun in that then?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • This, definitely. Although it's conceivable for some legendaries that, although they belong to a species with more than one member, reproduction is impossible because their lifespans are either so much longer than that of a human that they're incapable of producing eggs with frequency, or the conditions necessary to hatch their eggs simply aren't present at the daycare. (I like to imagine that Heatran eggs have to be incubated for hundreds of year in the outer mantle of the planet.)
    I like this idea. :)

It'd be far more "fitting" if the Legendary Pokémon can breed, but their eggs have strange requirements. It'd explain their overall rarity and it would be sort of nature's way of insuring that the world wasn't overrun with legendaries. Realistically, if there were a ton of each legendary, there would probably be territorial issues and all-around issues with the elements they control. (ie, if there was more than one Zapdos in a small area, there would probably be too many thunderstorms to make it a stable place to live or even travel)

Years
  • I looked at alot of Bulbapedia articles, and came to this conclusion;

Poke-God, Palkia, Dialga, Ghost lizard thing, lake guardians: One of each.* Poke-God for obvious reasons...the Dragon's, since they all control a certain aspect of the universe, they also are unique. The lake Guardians should be obvious since there's only those three lakes that they dove into.

Golems: The anime and movies seem to indicate that there are more than one of each golem, but I'm not sure about the super golem thing.

Mewtwo: Given that it was cloned from mew and went berserk....it's a good guess to asume no one was stupid enough to make another one.

Mew: Probably multiple, but very very very rare.

Ocean whale, earth lizard and sky dragon things: Most likely only one given the nature they were hidden....it'd be pretty stupid to hide two in slumber while others still roamed around <.<

Manphy and Phione: Phione is obviously more since it can be bred, and manphy is in the same boat as Mew.

Celery: There is either one that can go back in time to create time clones of itself, or it is just as rare as mew.

Birds: Pokemon snap inticates that they are born from eggs so..... rare pokemon that are in alot of folklore

Beasts: Multiple, but are just as rare as the birds. The three Ho-oh revived in the GSC games are the only zombie ones, but otherwise the same.

Lugia and Ho-oh. Multiple just like the birds and beasts, but the two who stayed at the towers were very specific.

Dark Rye bread and Crossiont duck bird thing: There's at least two Darkrai...so there would logically be more.

Latios & Latias: Very rare, but still more than just the pair

Lava-monster: multiple since it has a gender

Rattata: Only one.

*Per dimension.

redsaber5859

Banned
    Years
  • I looked at alot of Bulbapedia articles, and came to this conclusion;

Poke-God, Palkia, Dialga, Ghost lizard thing, lake guardians: One of each.* Poke-God for obvious reasons...the Dragon's, since they all control a certain aspect of the universe, they also are unique. The lake Guardians should be obvious since there's only those three lakes that they dove into.

Golems: The anime and movies seem to indicate that there are more than one of each golem, but I'm not sure about the super golem thing.

Mewtwo: Given that it was cloned from mew and went berserk....it's a good guess to asume no one was stupid enough to make another one.

Mew: Probably multiple, but very very very rare.

Ocean whale, earth lizard and sky dragon things: Most likely only one given the nature they were hidden....it'd be pretty stupid to hide two in slumber while others still roamed around <.<

Manphy and Phione: Phione is obviously more since it can be bred, and manphy is in the same boat as Mew.

Celery: There is either one that can go back in time to create time clones of itself, or it is just as rare as mew.

Birds: Pokemon snap inticates that they are born from eggs so..... rare pokemon that are in alot of folklore

Beasts: Multiple, but are just as rare as the birds. The three Ho-oh revived in the GSC games are the only zombie ones, but otherwise the same.

Lugia and Ho-oh. Multiple just like the birds and beasts, but the two who stayed at the towers were very specific.

Dark Rye bread and Crossiont duck bird thing: There's at least two Darkrai...so there would logically be more.

Latios & Latias: Very rare, but still more than just the pair

Lava-monster: multiple since it has a gender

Rattata: Only one.

*Per dimension.

LOLOLOL totally LMAO! However I think there is ONE celebi, hooh, and Lugia

But. Rattata, they are truly ledgendary... I only know one person who has even seen the myrrh of rattata, youngster Joey!!!!!!!

Years
  • LOLOLOL totally LMAO! However I think there is ONE celebi, hooh, and Lugia

But. Rattata, they are truly ledgendary... I only know one person who has even seen the myrrh of rattata, youngster Joey!!!!!!!

The anime shows a parent Lugia and a child Lugia.

Celibi is a bit hard to figure out since it can make time clones, so its up in the air as far as I'm concerned

And Rattata is very one of a kind. :P

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    If I'm not mistaken, I think somewhere in the games it was stated (or at least heavily implied) that there is only one Mew. However in the anime, particularly with the Lucario movie, it's implied that there are multiples (Mew is occasionally referred to as "a Mew" rather than "Mew"). Though of course the anime and games aren't usually consistent with each other when it comes to that sort of thing. I think most legendaries are one-of-a-kind, at least per dimension or whatever. A few select ones such as Shaymin and Heatran stand out as being numerous, but yeah.

For the unclear or apparently one-of-a-kind ones I'm wondering why or how they would breed. Only a few of them even have genders, and considering they're probably immortal (or at least VERY hard to kill) there's little reason they'd really need to reproduce.

... Though it would be neat if they could, simply for in-game reasons. It'd make it easier to get Legendaries of specific natures, and the egg moves would be fun to mess around with.

Back