• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What impact will the Sun/Moon games have on the anime?

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    With the Sun/Moon games coming out this Fall, what impact will they have in the anime? Do you think Serena/Bonnie/Clemont will leave for all new companions?

I'm sort of expecting the usual routine, although it would be nice if something different happened for a change.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Currently I think it is a little too soon to speculate. I really want at least Serena to stay with him. But I don't know. I personally think 7th Gen may be Ash's last series. I also think that XYZ will continue even after the Sun and Moon are out for a few weeks.

They said XYZ would be changing the anime greatly, so I am really hoping Serena stays so much. I love the current group. If they didn't change anyone I would be extremely happy. They have by far been the best group. And I really hope an 'older' trainer comes in like Cilan and Brock. Another reason I love the the current group is because they are all about the same age.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Considering the negative ratings, box office receipts, and if IrregularHunterZ is to be believed, even merchandising sales for XY, it's probably safe to say that there won't be much impact for the anime.

It's not like all games have to have a long-running cartoon/anime series to advertise the games, anyways. Zelda, Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man had DiC cartoons promoting their respective game franchises, yet those franchises have long outlasted the cartoons (heck, Mario continued despite its cartoons being cancelled altogether after Super Mario World, and was the longest-runner, and Sonic managed to continue on despite the cancellation of both SATAM, Sonic Underground, and Sonic X). If they could pull it off, Pokémon most certainly can as well.

@The Mega Champion: We can't say it's actually 100% confirmed (more like 75% confirmed at best). For all we know, they'll actually have Ash win the league to end his storyline, then have a new character go along the series, sort of like Digimon. I actually find that the more likely route considering how horribly XY is doing in many fronts.

Years
    @The Mega Champion: We can't say it's actually 100% confirmed (more like 75% confirmed at best). For all we know, they'll actually have Ash win the league to end his storyline, then have a new character go along the series, sort of like Digimon. I actually find that the more likely route considering how horribly XY is doing in many fronts.

You know, this is my theory ever since I heard all the declining ratings. It's probably a sign the 7th Gen anime saga needs to bring something fresh to the table if they want to get kids watching again, especially with the serious competition caused by Yo-Kai Watch.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    The only thing that's 100% confirmed now is that Ash obviously won't be winning Kalos league.

=/

The isn't entirely true. He could to win and the anime finish with him this season, finishing it up with 1000 episodes. Besides, I was never sure he would win. He would probably make it to the Finals, but get beat. But 7th Gen he turns around and wins it all. They keep his character progression from X and Y, he will no doubt win in the 7th Gen to me.

As for Yo-Kai watch, it is far from the new Pokemon. It has fallen completely flat in America as far as I can tell. No one talks about it. I was in Wal-Mart the other day and there were kids at the age of 6 or 7 still talking so much about pokemon. There is no doubt in my mind it is still extremely popular.

I have predicted from the start that the 7th Gen would be Ash's last saga, and I hope it is as long as Serena stays with him. I wouldn't mind them ending it in Kalos either if they don't continue with the current group. Kinda think they are building up for Bonnie and possibly Max to take over. Especially Bonnie though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    The isn't entirely true. He could to win and the anime finish with him this season, finishing it up with 1000 episodes. Besides, I was never sure he would win. He would probably make it to the Finals, but get beat. But 7th Gen he turns around and wins it all. They keep his character progression from X and Y, he will no doubt win in the 7th Gen to me.

To be honest, it's probably more likely they'll just cut it with Ash this season given how XY is overall doing badly in virtually every category (even AG, which also sucked in terms of ratings if you pardon my French, at least had merchandising and box office receipts to keep it alive, XY doesn't even have that).

As for Yo-Kai watch, it is far from the new Pokemon. It has fallen completely flat in America as far as I can tell. No one talks about it. I was in Wal-Mart the other day and there were kids at the age of 6 or 7 still talking so much about pokemon. There is no doubt in my mind it is still extremely popular.

It may have fallen in terms of popularity in America, but bear in mind that Japan's the king maker regarding this, and according to Dogasu, Yokai Watch is still very much outperforming Pokémon and it's causing even HIM concern right now, and it's certainly causing the writers some concern as well.

I have predicted from the start that the 7th Gen would be Ash's last saga, and I hope it is as long as Serena stays with him. I wouldn't mind them ending it in Kalos either if they don't continue with the current group. Kinda think they are building up for Bonnie and possibly Max to take over. Especially Bonnie though.

They're more likely going to end it with Kalos, and even IF they decided to somehow go for Gen VII despite everything pointing against it, it's unlikely they'll have Serena tag along, or Bonnie and Clemont, for that matter.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Pretty sure XYZ isn't going to be a very long season to begin with, as Sun/Moon come out in the winter. Even if the "ratings have dropped" doesn't mean the anime will end. Perhaps Sun/Moon will be animated, usually, the anime is released around the same time the games are, so I'm fairly sure XYZ will be wrapped up by then. And, anyway, Sun/Moon were only just announced today, so there isn't enough information to even go on to even speculate this yet. It's way too early. We don't know what's going to happen. Who knows? Maybe the anime will end with episode 1,000, maybe Serena WILL stay with Ash, maybe Ash will win the Kalos league, and the anime will just end there. I highly doubt it, all the adaptions of Pokemon have some popularity. The anime will probably end when the games end/the entire franchise ends.

Anyway, until more information is released in regards to Pokemon Sun/Moon, there's nothing to speculate. Continue to enjoy the Kalos anime until then.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    I can't imagine Ash going out. He and Pikachu are mascots of the whole franchise, like it or not. Leaving Ash and Pikachu out would be really bad marketing decision.
    I also can't imagine Serena going with Ash to the new region, even though Pokémon Showcase is Anime exclusive event, but since ratings are this low, they will most likely want to leave everything behind and start again with new cast except Ash and Pikachu. I only hope they will do something original though, instead of the usual female character or Gym Leader and male Gym Leader following Ash, but I don't really have that much hope to writers at this point.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Looks like the 7 Generation is coming a lot faster then we expected it to, i just hope serena stays with Ash. I know that may not even happen.

Ash could win the Kalos League and i hopefully he be able to pull it off, but i really doubt he is going to win the Kalos League, now that the 7 GEN games are coming out very soon.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Hmm --

--- Kalos league might get canceled (Best case scenario)

---Kalos league become even more disappointing then Unova League when Ash lose to Shota.

--- Ash 6th pokemon happen to be a new pokemon from "Sun & Moon".

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Honestly, it is my sincere hope that they end the current anime with X/Y and start up something fresh and new that is more watchable to older people. Even though the games are repetitive, I find the anime mixes things up even less and rarely goes anywhere.

However, this is highly unlikely. I would truly be surprised if they ended it. But Sun and Moon will probably just be like any other season of the anime, featuring Ash, Insert New Girl Here, and Random Male Character. (And maybe an extra) They could go the Johto route though and keep the Kalos cast depending on how connected to Gen VI these new games are. We'll have to see. Either way though, I won't really watch it unless I see some significant upheaval.

pkmin3033

Ash is going to lose the Kalos league. I think that is pretty much guaranteed. May as well give up hope of him winning right here and now, if one ever had hope of that happening...which I didn't, since his team lineup is much weaker than it was in Sinnoh, but eh. Depending on the new characters revealed, he may or may not get new travelling companions...I get the feeling Serena might be more of a permanent fixture considering her feelings for him, but Clemont and Bonnie might not wind up going with him when he buggers off to the new region.

Apart from that...yeah, it'll just be another reboot. I can't see it having any huge impact on the anime.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Ash is going to lose the Kalos league. I think that is pretty much guaranteed. May as well give up hope of him winning right here and now, if one ever had hope of that happening...which I didn't, since his team lineup is much weaker than it was in Sinnoh, but eh. Depending on the new characters revealed, he may or may not get new travelling companions...I get the feeling Serena might be more of a permanent fixture considering her feelings for him, but Clemont and Bonnie might not wind up going with him when he buggers off to the new region.

Apart from that...yeah, it'll just be another reboot. I can't see it having any huge impact on the anime.

I really wouldn't be so sure about Serena staying. Remember, Misty also had feelings for Ash as well (heck, that made up a major subplot for Movie 2, and some episodes as well), yet that never stopped them from removing her. And bear in mind, there's more evidence pointing to Pokeshipping actually being the way to go than Amourshipping (for starters, like with the Rudy episode, there has been instances where Ash did show an emotion that indicated jealousy regarding Misty being wooed by another guy, even before he realized he was a gym leader, while with Amourshipping, Ash doesn't seem to even recognize that Serena's crushing on him even when it hits him in the face). I'm not even a believer in Pokeshipping, yet even I recognize it's more likely to happen than Amourshipping.

So far as Ash staying, we still can't say he'll be guaranteed to lose the league. Considering the bad ratings, horrible box office receipts, and, heck, even the merchandising sales aren't doing hot either, I'm pretty sure even the writers realize they simply can't continue with Ash's character and, if anything, even if there IS another generation, they'll have to cut him loose. It's either that or have the show get cancelled at his point. Besides, not all game franchises need a long-running cartoon to continue. I know Mario, Zelda, Mega Man, and Sonic certainly didn't, and even the longest-running cartoon adaptation out there, the Mario cartoons, only got as far as Super Mario World. Sonic is another good example due to the Sonic X cartoons.

Years
    I know that the new generation anime will always bring a new female lead (mostly the female protagonist from the corresponding games) and a male Gym Leader companion. However, as Weedle pointed out regarding XY's terrible ratings and movies being a flop might be a sign we could be done with Ash and get a fresh protagonist in what won't just be a new anime saga, but an entire reboot.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    All I know is that Ash will lose the Kalos League (expected), Sun & Moon Pokémon appearing in the finals episodes of the season, and, most importantly, Serena leaving the cast (thank goodness). Now I can finally get rid of this theme once Sun & Moon comes out this holiday season. I just hope that the new girl debuts with short hair in the beginning or doesn't cut her hair later on in case she does debut with long hair. But there is this to keep in mind: https://mobile.twitter.com/Sunma47/status/701118410877370368

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    I see some people here really hate Ash, but be serious guys: Ash and Pikachu are THE mascots. Can you imagine them being replaced with Max and Ralts and/or Treecko, Gen VII male protagonist with Gen VII Pokémon or, even less likely, since Pokémon anime is more aimed at boys then girls, Bonnie and Dedenne? It's either Ash and Pikachu or no Pokémon Anime at all, marketing-wise. There's no other option no matter how many people hate it. Though I can imagine Ash winning the league and becoming mentor for new trainer, who will eventually (after generation or two though) will take his role. But for now, Ash is given, since they invested too much in him.

I really wouldn't be so sure about Serena staying. Remember, Misty also had feelings for Ash as well (heck, that made up a major subplot for Movie 2, and some episodes as well), yet that never stopped them from removing her. And bear in mind, there's more evidence pointing to Pokeshipping actually being the way to go than Amourshipping (for starters, like with the Rudy episode, there has been instances where Ash did show an emotion that indicated jealousy regarding Misty being wooed by another guy, even before he realized he was a gym leader, while with Amourshipping, Ash doesn't seem to even recognize that Serena's crushing on him even when it hits him in the face). I'm not even a believer in Pokeshipping, yet even I recognize it's more likely to happen than Amourshipping.
    Sorry to pop your bubble, but all of that was added by dub and even dub stopped after Orange Islands. Serena is different, but the fact Ash never shown any interest in her is most likely a way for writers to tell her she never had any chance with Ash and move on with someone else IMHO.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I see some people here really hate Ash, but be serious guys: Ash and Pikachu are THE mascots. Can you imagine them being replaced with Max and Ralts and/or Treecko, Gen VII male protagonist with Gen VII Pokémon or, even less likely, since Pokémon anime is more aimed at boys then girls, Bonnie and Dedenne? It's either Ash and Pikachu or no Pokémon Anime at all, marketing-wise. There's no other option no matter how many people hate it. Though I can imagine Ash winning the league and becoming mentor for new trainer, who will eventually (after generation or two though) will take his role. But for now, Ash is given, since they invested too much in him.

You know, Solid Snake was also considered the mascot of Metal Gear Solid, and it would have been unthinkable to replace him, yet not only HAS he been replaced, but by MGSV, Solid Snake's basically been replaced by his FATHER, Big Boss. Same deal with Albert Wesker, he basically was the face of Resident Evil since Code Veronica revealed his survival, and then they killed HIM off permanently in Resident Evil 5.

Sorry to pop your bubble, but all of that was added by dub and even dub stopped after Orange Islands. Serena is different, but the fact Ash never shown any interest in her is most likely a way for writers to tell her she never had any chance with Ash and move on with someone else IMHO.

Actually, the Rudy examples weren't dub added, nor was Movie 2's hints (even the Japanese version was significantly shippy, like Misty saying "He [Ash] is my burden" in the scene where she goes to save Ash). Also, there was that radio drama airing around the time of XY's premiere that made clear that Ash and Misty will see each other again, done by their Japanese voice actresses. Heck, I'll even link you to some Japanese-exclusive examples, some of which actually got CUT by the dub.

*https://pokeshipping.tumblr.com/post/108486703082/do-you-watch-pokemon-japanese-version-o-if-you
    *https://allthingsmisty.tumblr.com/post/32695135093/pokeshipping-a-picture-of-rika-and-mayumi-ash

And even IF those things actually WERE dub added, it really wouldn't impact me either way simply because I don't ship, and am NOT a Pokeshipper even IF I think it's more likely to happen than Amourshipping. If I am to ship, it's only with couples who A. have love at first sight, and B., actually are CONFIRMED to have feelings for each other (for an example, think Ariel and Eric from The Little Mermaid. That's a ship I CAN get behind).

Last edited:
    Years

I can see the reason behind this formula, but with XY's low ratings it's making us feel concerned about Ash's fate. The thing to expect is that Serena, Clemont and Bonnie will leave Ash (which I think will be a heavily emotional finale given the chemistry they had with Ash) and Ash will be joined by the new female protagonist and a new male Gym Leader companion. The new female will likely be a starting trainer as well (since that's commonly seen with most of the female leads barring Misty and Iris), and gets one of the 7th Gen starters.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    You know, Solid Snake was also considered the mascot of Metal Gear Solid, and it would have been unthinkable to replace him, yet not only HAS he been replaced, but by MGSV, Solid Snake's basically been replaced by his FATHER, Big Boss. Same deal with Albert Wesker, he basically was the face of Resident Evil since Code Veronica revealed his survival, and then they killed HIM off permanently in Resident Evil 5.
    Sorry, I am no expert on either of those merchandises, but wasn't Resident Evil 5 last main RE game? But I am not much of a gamer, to be honest, and besides Pokémon, there were only few games I played and most of those were racing games or games to kill time, like Tetris or Pinball on my smartphone :3c So I honestly don't know much about the things you mentioned.

Actually, the Rudy examples weren't dub added, nor was Movie 2's hints (even the Japanese version was significantly shippy, like Misty saying "He [Ash] is my burden" in the scene where she goes to save Ash). Also, there was that radio drama airing around the time of XY's premiere that made clear that Ash and Misty will see each other again, done by their Japanese voice actresses. Heck, I'll even link you to some Japanese-exclusive examples, some of which actually got CUT by the dub.

*https://pokeshipping.tumblr.com/post/108486703082/do-you-watch-pokemon-japanese-version-o-if-you
    *https://allthingsmisty.tumblr.com/post/32695135093/pokeshipping-a-picture-of-rika-and-mayumi-ash
    I am giving you that Rudy and Georgio parts, though it may be just Misty not being ready for relationship. But I don't really get how the others (including "he is my burden" line from movie 2) are any Shipping moments. But to be honest, me being Palletshipper and Orangeshipper probably plays a role here, so sorry if I am overlooking some moments. But honestly, I am only mentioning it here since you told Misty had bigger attachment on Ash than Serena has, which I honestly don't think is true.

Back