• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What influences your decisions to use certain Pokémon?

Years
    The first thing I look at is the Pokemon's typing. You encounter certain types more that others depending on the game; constantly finding yourself in a type disadvantage gets pretty old quite quickly. Next are the stats, movepool, and evolution. I tend to stay away from 'mons that have low base stats and don't evolve, since they become useless late game and get thrown into the PC for the rest of eternity. I try to cover as much of the table as possible when it comes to looking at movepool, making sure that I can land at least a neutral hit on any combination I encounter. Looks are put to the side with the exception of new Pokemon that I've never seen before. (ie. when a new gen is introduced)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In-game, I use almost anything that I'm able to get my hands on; it doesn't really matter, haha. Sometimes, I also take looks into consideration. Competitively, though, it's always those that are better-than average in stats, generally popular among battlers, and make things easy when attempting to pull of wins.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
    Stats and making the team work well together stopped influencing me when the games got less challenging so now i just do it by cuteness and how they look but i tend to also go after the ones no one used like Elgyem and Tyamo.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    For me, I choose pokemon by type. In other words by using elements most used in pokemon battles or gym battles. So, for example, I use flying, fire, water and electric. Then, the last two are just random ones I like the best. I do this because it makes battling easier for me. I've always done this since I first started playing.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    In-game, it's usually appearance, statistics, or ease of access - whether it be evolution level/method or how quickly I can capture said Pokemon. Competitively, statistics and moveset usually dictate what I pick. Appearance too, though at a lesser scale as with in-game choice.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    For my story mode team, literally the only two things that I go by for deciding on my team is
    1. What type is it?
    2. Is it cute?

If it's a type that I don't already have and it's cute, it's probably going on my team.

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
    Years
    I like to use Pokemon that are unique, or I use Pokemon that are OU and use unique sets. I also like to use Pokemon that annoy people :p

Back