• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is a good hacker?

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    I think that people who find things for themselves are true and great hackers.
    Like yourself, coolboyman, SCV and many others.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • A good hacker? There are lots out there. Thrace, Surf, Watermelon...me. Anyone that makes a good hack is a good hacker.

But a great hacker? That's completely different. Someone who does the main load of work and does a lot of research (or uses it) to help the greater community. You, SCV, Coolboyman, Pichu2001, LU-HO, thethethethe...Those are great hackers.

NatureKeeper

What about Jagold? :) I mean he is like the best one. Zel was only remaking.

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    Some of the stuff that zel has scripted is amazing.
    In Shiny Gold, there are some of the most complicated scripts I have seen.
    He put a massive effort into it.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • A good hacker?

It's a human who liks spending their time on the computer. Has many great ideas and does not use or copy any other mapping styles. They are also a great scripter and can use a hex editor.

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    A good hacker?

It's a human who liks spending their time on the computer. Has many great ideas and does not use or copy any other mapping styles. He is also a great scripter and can use a hex editor.

I'd like to second that, though I also think that the even better ones help others learn hacking and are polite :) Rather than the 'I'm better than you' vibe some people give off.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Hmm....i think amazing hacker will be the one who can concerntrate on hacking,the one who has talent on hacking and the one who likes pasta! ;D

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    xD, I think I wrote something on this a while ago. Lemme see if I can find it, and then I'll edit this post, mmk?

*looks for his document*

Edit: Ooh, found it!

Atlus said:
    What exactly is hacking, anyways?

We all have our own perspective of it; some people think of it as a fun sport, while others treat it as difficult, laborous work. Likewise, people have differing ideas on the different sections of hacking. Some people find that spriting is the most fun out of all of it, while other people think that mapping is their way of expressing their feelings.

Well, to be honest, I believe that there are five big "parts" of hacking, that every good hack requires:

• Spriting (basically, anything graphical, aside from mapping)
    • Storyline (the whole plot. If it doesn't have one, the hack isn't good)
    • Teamwork (everyone that helps you)
    • Mapping (obviously)
    • Scripting (what makes the game interesting)

Now, for each of these five wonderous pieces of hacking, there's a certain trait that corresponds with it; it's the trait that makes the biggest difference in each aspect of hacking. And so, here are our traits..

Spriting -- Determination
    Storyline -- Originality
    Teamwork -- Responsibility
    Mapping -- Creativity
    Scripting -- Knowledge

I call this the DORCK method, for obvious reasons. You see, if a hacker has the trait, I believe that they will generally excel at that specific aspect. With that thinking in mind, if a hacker has all five of the DORCK traits, they excel at hacking in general.. or at least, that's my own opinion.

Whether you see hacking as a sport, or as a profession, you should be determined, original, responsible, creative, and knowledgeable.

So tell me.. are you a dork, or are you a DORCK?

It was an article I wrote for the RHN a while ago under Panda's hands, although I don't think it ever appeared in an issue. Basically, I think a good hacker should have the DORCK traits, as well as being professional (to a degree) and helpful.

Helping people begin to hack is the greatest skill any hacker could possess.

Last edited:

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • A great hacker is one who can find things out for themselves. tools make it far more efficient but a truly Great hacker understands how to hack every thing even if they don't have any tools but a hex editor. In other words a great hacker is one that understands what makes the game tick(I'm not even near this.) . Remember game design is different from a great hacker.
    P.S. You don't have to know how to do everything you just need to know the basics.

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Someone who puts forth their best effort no matter how poorly their skills are. Effort, is what matters, not if they know this is that.
    No it isn't. There are lots of people who have been doing this for a long time and still have no talent for it.

I don't think theres a blanket statement to describe what makes a good hacker.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    well yes their great hackers but sometimes great hackers can be a little rude

..and so can noobs who don't care. Honestly, politeness doesn't really seem to be a factor in hacking. It's nice, of course, but it's not really necessary.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • Also, something that would be a big plus:
    ASM
    ASM hacking
    The most powerful, and arguably the most difficult, hacking technique is editing the game's actual code, a process called ASM hacking ("ASM" means "assembly", referring to the type of programming language used for early console games)[1]. There is no set pattern for ASM hacking, as the code varies widely from game to game, but most skilled ASM hackers either use an emulator equipped with a built-in debugger or tracer, or run the ROM through a disassembler, then analyze the code and modify it using a hex editor or assembler according to their needs. While quite challenging compared to the relatively-simple methods listed above, anything is possible with ASM hacking (of course, within the limits of the hardware/software of the gaming platform), ranging from altering enemy AI to changing how graphics are generated. (Of course, the possibilities are still limited by the hacker's ability to comprehend and modify the existing code.)

Poke_a_Dialga!

EXAMS TESTS AND EXAMS QAQ
    Years
  • Good hacker is someone like Twilite Darkrai, Watermelon~ etc
    Great hacker is someone like Destinedajagold, Zel 2.0 and those who'd completed the hacks.
    For me i'm poor :'(

Larsie13

• Has a wide spectrum of hacking skills.

• Is not afraid to learn more difficult aspects of hacking, like ASM.

• Is not afraid to work on a hack by themselves just to develop their skills.

• Tries again when something doesn't work right away. (And again, and again..., until they get the result they want, instead of giving up when it doesn't work, like most people do.) <-- This is the most important one, IMO.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • A good hacker, someone to does what they can to the best of their ability, isn't too dependent on tools (and good with a hex editor) and will never give up.

And who are they? Well, it could be anyone, if they put some effort into it.

Back