• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is a Pokemon Master to you?

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2016
    My idea of a Pokemon Master is someone who can win a battle regardless of the Pokemon they use. They'll use whatever Pokemon they have, train them as hard as they can, and use them to the best of their ability. ^^ (AKA someone who's a Nuzlocker that does not care that their Pokemon are weak and inferior to the their opponent's- they know their team can take on anyone anyways with grinding.)

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    I don't think all those huge descriptions are really necessary. For me, all it means is that someone can take literally any Pokemon, regardless of base stats, EVs, IVs, nature, etc, and use it to the best of its ability. I don't think that a Pokemon Master can do any more than that and I think having that skill is the definition of being a master trainer. :3

You've summed up a lot of my thoughts.

I see a Pokemon master as someone that definitely loves their Pokemon no matter what, is very knowledgeable about them in general, has fun together with them, and can work with any Pokemon they have or use to the best of its/their ability(even unevo's and weaknesses).

Years
    My definition of a Pokemon master only has one requirement... And that's defeating the region champion.

This in itself requires alot of what was mentioned above, like collecting badges, and connection to one's Pokemon...

I'm exactly the same haha I always thought of having Master status after beating the Champion :)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    The term is so nebulous that trying to define it properly is certainly a fool's errand. I guess if I had to come up with something, it'd be: completing the PokeDex, becoming the Champion, mastery of everywhere in the Pokemon world, being awesome at Contests/Musicals/Pokeathlons etc.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    To me?
    A false title.
    People mention so many ways to achieve such a title and yet each way is as hard as the next, and yet no one appears to have such a title in pokémon history, to me it comes by as a false title, and a false goal, used only to give Pokémon Trainers motivation in raising their pokémon and attempting to 'Catch em All!'

Years
    • Seen May 18, 2012
    To have every pokemon in existence to bow to you as its master = Pokemon Master. Well thats what it sounded like to me. 8D

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    Anyone who can beat Whitney's Miltank on their first try without potions or power-ups of any kind.

Growl, Sand Attack, Leer, Rock Smash

anywho...well, I can't really add any more to what people have already said, so...

Infernova

Simple Philosopher
    Years
    If you ask me, a Pokemon Master is someone who has beaten the champions from all 5 regions, and someone who truly beleives in their pokemon and trusts them and will turn a magikarp into a lvl. 100 gyarados because they don't want to see it use the pitiful "splash" move.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Someone who understands the value of each Pokemon and can win all their battles. As the latter is impossible, there is no true master, but however it's just a goal in which each trainer aims to achieve, an unreachable goal, however it gives them direction in life and thus is just a spiritual/mental thing. :)

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2012
    Can handle any situation and always in control even under pressure. Also, a true master care about his pet.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2012
    i agree with OP.

to me, a pokemon master is someone who has the drive to become stronger. with this, every other thing falls into place.

a pokemon master will have at least a grasp on the different fields of pokemon study - evolution, stones, types and breeding - and eventually the other more specific aspects that affect the growth of a pokemon strength-wise and not exactly level-wise - ev training, stats, items, characteristics, berries, abilities, weather-effects, etc.

with this he will be able to find and predict the weaknesses of a certain pokemon and turn those weaknesses into advantages that will make him have the upper hand in pokemon battles.

a pokemon master is able to make a jigglypuff defeat a gyarados. in other words, he doesn't solely rely on levels to determine whether he can win a battle or not. he defeats all his opponents using the wit and the knowledge he acquired from his journey. and by wit and knowledge, i mean knowing the right movesets, items to hold, turning a type disadvantage into an advantage, etc.

TL;DR pokemon trainers who wish to be masters should literally master the study of pokemon. if he does that he'll be able to turn literally any pokemon that falls under him into gold. he becomes invincible after that.

that's what makes a trainer a "master" in my vocabulary.

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • TN
    • Seen Feb 9, 2018
    For me, a Pokemon Master is a person who is knowledgeable about battles, breeding, types, IVs and EVs, and..well, pretty much everything. The Pokemon Master comes up with different strategies to take down his opponent using his or her best Pokemon. He or she knows all about what Pokemon and items to use, what attacks to pack, and the best stats available. Also just the general knowledge of the Pokemon world like all the items, the Pokemon, types, locations, etc.

Back