• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What IS a Pokemon Master?

RivalGator

I hate them all.
Years
  • You become a champion in every region, level up your team of favorites and win by them. I don't believe you have to train every single Pokemon, because some people striving to be Pokemon Masters, for example, if I were wanting to be a master, I would just want to rule with my own personal team. I wouldn't want to work with all of them. Just the ones I am attached to and win that way.

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2010
    It means you must be the best at everything. DO nothing except pokemon.

Years
  • To me, a Pokemon Master is someone who
    - Has great respect in the Pokemon Battling community, and has defeated many leagues and challengers.
    - Has a strong bong with his/her Pokemon.
    - Has collected many Pokemon, maybe even them all.

Years
  • To me, a Pokemon Master is someone who
    - Has great respect in the Pokemon Battling community, and has defeated many leagues and challengers.
    - Has a strong bond with his/her Pokemon.
    - Has collected many Pokemon, maybe even them all.
    I agree with this. Defeating all the leagues/competitions and catching all the Pokemon seems virtually impossible to me, and like one of the above posters already stated, some people would rather only level up a select few and their favorites. There's always new Pokemon being discovered and if the rumors about the four know regions being based off Japan are true, just think about how many leagues there would be in the whole world!

For me its the following

1) 3 Trainer Stars Minimum (one of which is beating the Elite 4)
    2) Caught 150 different species (including either the first 150 in the pokedex or one rare species from each region)
    3) Has battled in some competitive fashion (GEN IV only)
    4) Has Encountered but not necessarily caught a Roaming Pokemon
    5) Has won a Master-Rank Pokemon Contest
    6) Knows advanced techniques like EV training or IV Breeding
    7) Must announce or specialize in some field of training
    Examples: Training, Coordination, Pokethlon, Breeding, Catching, Type Specialization, General Training Skills (which is like a leisure studies major in college)

If we were talking only in-game I'd probably go with this.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Isn't it obvious? Outside of the games, the title of "Pokemon Master" is completely arbitrary, because obviously nobody has managed to define what it is - this is, after all, what makes the anime continue for years without a reasonable general plot - "Hey! Let's reach a goal that sounds like something great but nobody will ever tell me what it is because if they did I could possibly attain that goal thus putting a possible end to the series in sight!".

Within the games, it's generally assumed that somebody who defeats the Elite 4 is a "Pokemon Master", but actually the term they use is "Champion". Also, I can't recall if they even used a title in the games for someone who completely fills their Pokedex, which is usually how the term is used among fans.

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2011
    In the original series (Kanto) it was said that to become a Pokemon Master you had to catch each of the 150 Pokemon (including Mewtwo). However, now that it is almost impossible, I don't think catching all the Pokemon is a nescessary part of becoming a 'Pokemon Master'. That's also the same reason why the phrase "Gotta Catch Them All" was ditched.

Sources:
    - The official Pokemon handbook
    - Bulbapedia

BJ088

It's been so long!
    Years
  • Pokemon Master has different meanings. I believe the anime described it as. 'Someone who has at least one of each pokemon', except in different words. I may be wrong, so don't quote me on that. But personally, I believe that a Pokemon Master is someone who beat each region, or has done something truly amazing to prove skills far above any normal trainer. I classify Red as a 'Pokemon Master', because he is the strongest trainer in the world. (Until he is beaten by Gold/Crystal/Kotone.) And Prof. Oak adknowledges that, but that's my own take on it.

I agree with this answer.

I find it funny that they wouldn't answer the question though.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • To me, it's:

1. A highly ranked pokemon trainer who's able to conquer all the regions champions and elites.
    2. May have done someone unnatural and something a trainer would not ordinarily do to other trainers for their benefit.
    3. Or....

But it only depends on the trainer.

Meepman

Arogance is bliss
    Years
  • Come to think of it I don't think they ever actually say "pokemon master" in the video games, they only seem to say that in the anime.

Disregard that last statement, I just realized while playing fire red that upon defeating lance he says "I hate to say it but you are a pokemon master!" so I guess that pretty much confirms that "pokemon master" was at least originally meant to be a title for those who won the pokemon league, but I guess throughout the years their pokedictionary incinerated and they forgot the meaning.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2010
    In the pokemon anime I always thought of a pokemon master as a pokemon trainer who has great strenght, however, in the games I think the title pokemon master goes to anyone who has beaten the elite four.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Lol.In the games, i think i a pokemon master is:

Someone who had the guts to say NO to going to the Sevii Islands with Bill in Fr/Lg.

Someone who can beat Red. (without lv.100s, stalling for time with items, without hacks, and without more than one starter)

Someone who can complete every regional pokedex.

Someone who can complete Battle Frontier ((on Emerald) with same requirements as Red)

Someone who has strong pokemon, not EV trained, not above lv.90, but can still beat everyone.

Worldwide:

Someone who has fought 100+ battles, without hacks, who has lost less than 5% of all their battles

Back