• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is (going to be) your job?

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    It's the centre of what life is build around. Work. What is your job now, what are going to study to become and what is your dream job?

I currently work at a greenhouse. I hope at least, as I haven't been there in four months because of health reasons. It's mainly physical work and really boring.

I am probably going to be a history or English teacher after my study. I haven't decided on which, but I know I want to get into education. I like talking and explaining things and English and History so it works out, haha.

pkmin3033

I'm not sure at the moment what my job is going to be when I'm deemed fit enough to work again. In an ideal world, it'd be a College teacher in something Business related - Accounting would be perfect - but the world is rarely ideal. I'd be quite happy with a job as a librarian, or even another administration job at my former University...I actually really enjoy admin work; it's more interesting than it sounds. These are the sorts of jobs I'm going to apply for, and I'm going to actively pursue a PGCE when I can, but after a lot of rejection letters and failed interviews, I'm not entirely certain where I'll end up.

My dream job is to write scripts for video games. It'll never happen.

Years
    I'm currently a chemist and I study to become a better chemist! 8) I want to work in a lab, because then I don't have to deal with customers all day like many other jobs require, and also I get to create and analyze things which is exciting.

Work is life, life is work.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I'm currently the assistant manager of a liquor store. I'm not exactly living the dream but I'm happy enough there for now. I'm not sure exactly what I want my job to be when I "grow up", but I do know I want it to pay more than this one does.

Years
    I don't work much.
    I'm always quitting jobs or just calling off.

Welp, seeing as I don't have any aspirations there's absolutely nothing I want to do in particular. I want to remain as simple as possible and draw as little attention to myself as possible but. . when your family is known as much as mine is SOMEONE recognizes me and expects me to doing " More ".

How do you chase a dream you can't forsee? I haven't the slightest clue what kind of occupation would make me " Happy ", well I guess not even happy but at least content.

I'd honestly rather figure out a career when I'm 50 than rush now and be miserable working solely for money which I don't care for anyways.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    Well, I actually can't hold down a job due to special needs and personal issues. My anxiety and depression might be gone, but it's mostly due to my skill levels and all that junk as well. I'm currently on SSI right now too. However, my dream job is wanting to work with people who have special needs. Like, nothing really severe or anything because that would quite stressful. I've always wanted that to be a dream of mine because I can relate to people with special needs rather well. I've been around a lot of them throughout my life.

Castaigne

欠 を 食べる
    Years
    • Age 30
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 27, 2016
    Right now I'm a program manager, which is quite fun but also super stressful. There's a lot of responsibility and last minute phone calls that can wear you thin.

I'm studying to become a... well... in all honesty I may not end up using my degree lmao. But once I get the degree I want to go be an English teacher in Asia for a couple years.

Dream job is to be a writer/speaker on the environment and international relations.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
    I think 25 is the shifting point from "I'm a youth" to "I'm an adult for real now". At 30, if you haven't established some kind of respectable career, you're "behind" as far as I'm concerned. Sure, life and luck do strange things, too, but as long as you've at least acquired your degree (or for longer degrees i.e. Medicine, be close to finishing) then that's OK. If that hasn't been done by thirty, I question your sense of responsibility, integrity and overall just your maturity. Of course, I make judgment exceptions if your luck has been really crappy.

I'll be 23 this year ☺ First year Geography w/ an Advanced Minor in French as a Second Language. Should have my bED by the age of 28. Hoping to become a French teacher in Canada, but I might teach abroad a year and come back at 30 or so to find something local. Depends on what my sweetpea is doing.

I've wanted to be a teacher since I was ten. Before that? A ballerina or figure skater :pink_blush: I always liked the poofy tutus and stuff. If not a teacher, then a librarian, but my heart is pretty much set. I also want to be an author on the side. I completed an 88,000-page book when I was thirteen, typed it at fifteen. It was fun to know I controlled the ending how I wanted it to play out ☺

I'm currently a pseudo-librarian at the Educative Centre at uOttawa. It's a nice job. Pretty lax. Put books away, find books, scan books, take books off the shelf, organize books, books, books... ♥

Years
    I'm working on a psychology degree (eventually masters) to become an Art Therapist. I would work with kids in hospitals, psych wards, etc.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Right now I work in retail which is mehhhh. I can tolerate it, but I could totally do without it. I went to school to become an emt and I was hoping to eventually become a paramedic, but as the course went on I started to realize it wasn't what I really wanted to do. At the same time though I feel like it opened me up to what I would be more interested in which is working with animals or with the environment. So now I'm going for a Biology degree. Idk what I will ultimately do with it in the end, but it will open me up to many options once I get to that point.

Years
    I've thought about politics or government work, but I think post-secondary education is more my style.

Autonomy >No Autonomy

I hate working under people, as a professor, the school is your employer and they do have forms of evaluation/supervision, but it's very hands-off especially if you're performing well. (PS, I do not want to go to an R-1 institution and fight for tenure)

Years
    I work at an engineering consultancy, which while it has varied and interesting work is always stressful. When it's busy it's about trying to meet all of my deadlines without compromising quality (I'm currently trying to get a technical specification and about 20 engineering drawings out this Friday with a two week turn around - I worked on my weekend...) or if there isn't enough work stressing about the fact that I'm not going to meet my billability target - and no, billing heaps a previous week counts for nothing when it's quiet... People who price jobs also often under sell so I'm left with 19 hours I can bill for 40 hours of work. That means I can 1. Get told off for exceeding my allowed hours by billing all my time or 2. Work tones of unpaid overtime. Unfortunately we're often forced down route 2.

Ideally I would like to work on the client side as most of the things that cause my stress and annoyance at my job don't exist there. Unfortunately few asset owning companies have proper engineering divisions anymore and out source to consultancies so if I did go client side I'd probably be stuck project managing, which I don't want to do.

Otherwise research would be nice. However 12 month contracts are scary when you have a mortgage.

Mmm. Feels good to rant.

Spiff

love child
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    I got it broke down yo. While I'm working on my commercial pilot rating, my boy up in Texas is getting is dive masters certificate, and once that's done we're gonna rent out his family's vacation home in the Caribbean and fly people to various diving locations. We're still looking for a seaplane to rent/buy, but I'm sure we'll figure it out.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    I worked my butt off in Uni, and I work my butt off in the "working world" too. I've been promoted in the past year so my current job now is Lead Animator at Sega working on the Total War series. Hope to continue with the title, do it justice, and make really awesome (and even better) games in the future. It can be really stressful most days as there's lots of demand, but I enjoy it. I have a lot of ambition and I want to keep climbing. One day I hope to be a well-known name in the industry (for all the right reasons, of course.)

Last edited:

Lucid

lol. Jk. No srsly. I sit here and just laugh at you guys all day.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I think 25 is the shifting point from "I'm a youth" to "I'm an adult for real now". At 30, if you haven't established some kind of respectable career, you're "behind" as far as I'm concerned. Sure, life and luck do strange things, too, but as long as you've at least acquired your degree (or for longer degrees i.e. Medicine, be close to finishing) then that's OK. If that hasn't been done by thirty, I question your sense of responsibility, integrity and overall just your maturity. Of course, I make judgment exceptions if your luck has been really crappy.

And what of people who choose not to subscribe to The Belldandy Maturity Model? What if they wish to be a stay at home parent, or they think conventional employment isn't for them and choose to live a nomadic lifestyle where they work when they need to but otherwise go between towns sampling life? Are they exempt from Judgment also?

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    I currently work as a barista/pizza maker at my local grocery store, and I enjoy it. However, it can be quite stressful and the managers aren't very forgiving if you miss something. Most of the stress comes from the fact that you have to stay on top of things. If you get behind, then the tasks keep piling up, and next thing you know, you're clocking out late again. It took me a couple months before I was able to clock out on time consistently.

My dream job would definitely be some sort of movie writer, maybe even producer, but probably not the latter. I feel like movie quality is falling, and I would love to put some much needed originality back into the mix. I see a lot of sequels, spin offs, money grabs, and more these days, and I'm sick of it. I can't help but wonder how some of these movies even got funded and released to the public when they're so bad. Something needs to be done about it.

I'm currently working on getting some writing published to showcase my talent, and to help beef up my resume. With any luck, I'll have a shot at it. If not, then I enjoy working in a grocery store enough, and I can always climb up the ranks in this industry.

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
    Years
    I had my studies in chemistry, and now I'm completing my 5th, hopefully last year.

I began in September 2013 that Master specialized in flavours and it does good stuff. I had pratical classes where you create flavours for yogurts or sodas and it's totally cool.

Work-side (yap, I'm in apprenticeship), I design e-liquids for electronic cigarette. It sounds a bit odd cause I'm not a smoker, but I have to try my creations on some material, since I have to be a good technician that knows everything about his own flavours.

Last time I designed some stuff like Peanut Butter or Lemon Pie.

In the future I wish I could get a job where I design flavours for other applications : yogurts, potato chips and all.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
    And what of people who choose not to subscribe to The Belldandy Maturity Model? What if they wish to be a stay at home parent, or they think conventional employment isn't for them and choose to live a nomadic lifestyle where they work when they need to but otherwise go between towns sampling life? Are they exempt from Judgment also?

The nomadic lifestyle is fine when you're a youth - travelling, doing jobs here and there - but it ought to cease around thirty and can start again in retirement. I'm very traditional and systematic obviously. I think mature adults should always be productive and useful in society. You can get a BA at 22 and a Masters at 23 in Canada for many areas of study, so that leaves a few years to "get it out of your system". I think wandering is interesting, but there's a time for everything, and at a certain point (thirty-ish) it's time to build some roots and give back to your society through purposeful employment. Again, if your luck is really bad, at least having your degree is some sign of motivation, and that makes it more justifiable. If you're a wandering nomad after thirty, you're just a bum to me. Sounds harsh, but you're old enough to have some responsibility but choose not to. Maybe that's how you like to live your life (go for it), but I'm'a silently perceive you differently for being older than thirty and still being as aimless career- and life-wise (as per the norm, which I fancy) as a teenager.

Stay-at-home parents are an exemption; hopefully they have a degree already, though, for use after the kids turn of legal age to stay home unsupervised (around ten, I think, legally).

I want to travel and see places, too. I'll do it at 29, on vacation time and, if applicable, inbetween school board jobs if I'm just a substitute or part-time teacher for a while. Hopefully the new bED legislation will create more teacher jobs in Canada for people who actually want to be teachers in the next five years.

Last edited:
    Back