• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is it with people saying Pocket Monster?

Which do you prefer and say?

• Pokemon

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • Pocket Monsters

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Don't care

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I really don't think it matters, I say pokémon because it's how I learnt it guess, or perhaps because a non Pokémon fan wouldn't have a clue what a "Pocket Monster" is. Come to think of it, it's like how I put an é in Pokémon not just e.

So in normal conversation I'd say Pokemon, not just because it's shorter, because it's like calling a band-aid an adhesive bandage to me. I'm not going to think someone is pretentious for saying it that way, but the way I've heard it called first or most people around me call it will be the normal way I say it.

I didn't even know plasters were called band-aids let alone adhesive bandages until not long a go o__o

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • Does it really matter wether someone calls it Pokemon or Poket Monsters? :S They are technically the same thing anyway, it's just personal preference, as quite a few members have already said. >_>

Anyway, I generally say Pokemon, just because that's how I've been brought up to say it, plus, (obviously) more people say Pokemn in England (I'd assume so, anyway. XD) So yeh, i say Pkemon. :P

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Doesn't Japan call it Pokémon most of the time now too?
    The anime series and the games are called "Pocket Monsters" but when the characters are talking to each other in the actual episode (and the games, I presume, too) they always say "Pokemon". They only ever say "Pocket Monsters" when they're talking about the actual anime or games eg in the episode preview, they always say "Next time, on Pocket Monsters Diamond and Pearl" rather than "Next time, on Pokemon Diamond and Pearl". However, in an episode the characters would talk about catching "Pokemon" rather than "Pocket Monsters".

Years
  • Nonononono. "Pokémon" and "Pocket Monsters" are used interchangeably in Japan. They'll say "Pocket Monsters" if they want to be particularly dramatic, for example when hyping up a game, in a movie trailer etc. "Pokémon" is used in everyday talk, and is just as common as the uncontracted form.

walasaka

Dark-type Trainer
    Years
  • Why do YOU insist on saying Pokemon?

Because I've never lived in Japan and that's what they're called. I said before that I just think it sounds weird saying Pocket Monsters. As someone said as well, it just sounds elitist.

I guess it's a matter of preference, but it just seems odd to me that people find it necessary to show how awesome they are by saying Pocket Monsters rather than Pokemon. It's more catchy, it sorta makes sense. Dunno, just started the topic out of interest really.

TheAliveTrain

I love *splashes* Magikarps
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2009
    Pocket Monsters make me think of some weird creatures that you put in your.. pocket, NOT POKÉMON
    Pokémon makes me think of those creatures which with I have been playing my life. :)

Back