• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

what is the average age of people playing pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I personally think it's moreso younger ages. Yeah, people have been posting that they know more people in their teens and twenties playing, but this is a forum. Most six through ten year olds aren't on forums, at least not more... well, professional forums, like pokecommunity. So, I think that while the people we know who play Pokemon, and we ourselves, might be like thirteen through twenty-five and even higher, the majority of the kids who are drawn into Pokemon games seem to be the younger generation who got hooked at either the releases of R/S/E or D/P.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    If you were to average it out, I think it would work out to 14 being the average age.

Dark Banette

♫♫♫♪♪
    Years
  • Well I would say the age range is 7-25.
    A lot of people who are older still play it. I don't blame them. Pokemon is addicting. x]
    And if they are very young they most likely got into it by watching the anime, or they bought the game in a store.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    I'm surprised at the lack of people going "omg ur 2 old to play pogeymen!" The majority of posts have been normal.

I'm 21, and still play Pokemon occasionally. The oldest person that I know who played Pokemon would have to be my father, who's almost old enough to retire. :P So, that's rather old.

In real life, I've mostly seen little kids play Pokemon, like around the 6 to 10 year range.

Meeth

Flygon maniac
    Years
  • I suppose it depends on whether or not they actually like pokemon, i mean i started playing it when i was about 8 or so, and i'm 19 and i still play it. I have two friends that are aged 20 and 23 that play it as well as those that are younger. so its all relevant.

Xylitol

*Insert pun here*
    Years
  • I'm 15, and me and my friend from the same class still play rather regularly (he is the only one I know from my town that plays besides me), but I'm STILL too goddamn lazy to start building a competitive battling team. *_* I did have motivation, say, last year, but for some reason I find myself increasingly attracted to other games.

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2009
    This is a pretty big average because pokemon appeals to so many age groups. Adults/Teens usually like the competitive aspect of it , but the simplicity of it also appeals to the younger kids. i would have to say that pokemon appeals to people ages 7-28. this range is pretty much what i have concluded based on the people i have met through pokemon. i think that 7 is about the youngest age that a child could pick up a pokemon game and comprehend it but 28 is about where many adults stray away from things that kill time like pokemon and consentrate more on getting there life together.

Hypntick

Wobbuffet!
    Years
  • I am 26 and my wife is 24, we both play and have played since R/B. One of my department heads at work plays and he's in his 40's and he plays competitively. I personally believe there is no age limit on it, although the majority are going to be younger than 18. Heck I felt like an old man at toys r us for darkrai, but then I saw a few guys that were a bit older than myself, actually wearing pokemon t-shirts and hats, I felt a lot better after that.

Years
  • I think younger kids play it because they think the idea of having a virtual pet is awesome, but I think 14+ get a little more competitive and EV train to kill each other in battle. I am 16 and I didn't even play the game, my little brother beat it up to the elite 4. I just use it for fun online battles and I EV train. But no, the story doesn't interest me at all.

Tac One

OWN new Emld, Sapp and FR & LG
    Years
  • I'm 27 and I'm been playing it Since 1998 when Blue came out. The only other person I know that plays it is around 37 yrs old.

Terri

Whatever floats your boat
    Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2015
    I'm 17 and i know a few others who are the same age as me who play it

Naruchu_pikachu

Pi-pikachu!Pika-pika-chu!!
    Years
  • Play pokemon....Hm,7-15 I would say is the average age...For playing pokemon[watching pokemons' a different age group all together]

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
  • Im 12 and my bro is 14 and we play pokemon. My friends are 10 and 4 and they play pokemon. And my other friend is 12 and he plays pokemon. So it isn't that much of a wide range of ages to me that play. But I love pokemon! I have poster from Gold/Silver and Emerald hanging in my room, yeah I used to dream about my crush, now I dream about pokemon AND my crush lol

Back