• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

* What is the best brand of PC/Laptop/Notebook in your opinion? *

Ayesha

惚け
Years
  • I love Medion. For once they have a pretty long life and as long as they don't have an AMD processor they run pretty fine. No offense to some of you lovers of AMD or anything, but It just seems me and Medion get along well. Dell is okay but it's not very protective. I got many viruses on my old Dell PC. So, what about you?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I would opt for building a computer myself, but in regards to brands I find Dell to be reliable.

Dell is okay but it's not very protective. I got many viruses on my old Dell PC.
    It's not who made your computer that decides that, it's what preventative software you as the user put on it.

Last edited:

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • well in ther realm of [Windows-Based] PC manufacturers, I'd have to say I'd choose an HP first, Gateway second, and Toshiba third. now if it's notebook manufacturers altogether I'd say Apple is the way to go since you can run anything on it and they have very good support. (HP and Gateway also have great support too)

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • When it comes to PC, I'd rather build it myself.
    For laptops, Dell seems quite sturdy.

I use my Dell Inspiron 6000 as a pillow when I sleep in at university, and it hasn't died yet after 4 years of usage both indoors and out.

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
  • Desktops I recommend Custom Builds/Hand Builds.
    Laptops - I have a dell and I can't complain.

I can tell you to universally avoid Gateway. There pretty bad.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    LOL APPLE CRACKINTOSH

As far as the PC world goes, Dell has a wide variety of stuff to choose from, and they support open source. ^_^

Apple Inc.

This Changes Everything. Again
    Years
  • I personally like Apple's computers the best in general because they work great, are user friendly. And they all look so cool and sexy. However for the PC world I would have to go With Dell as this dell computer im using right now has literally been through hell. And yet it's still the greatest machine i've ever owned as it still runs very well and fast. I am upgrading ram this month and will soon be upgradiing Graphics because this thing desperately needs it.

"The Back of our computers look better than the front of their computers"
    -Steve Jobs

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I personally like Apple's computers the best in general because they work great, are user friendly. And they all look so cool and sexy. However for the PC world I would have to go With Dell as this dell computer im using right now has literally been through hell. And yet it's still the greatest machine i've ever owned as it still runs very well and fast. I am upgrading ram this month and will soon be upgradiing Graphics because this thing desperately needs it.

"The Back of our computers look better than the front of their computers"
    -Steve Jobs

I'm going to agree with this one right here. I've always been a supporter of Apple computers despite not owning one. However I've had experience with them and they tend to be a lot more easier to control than others I've come in contact with. And their sexy which helps out a lot. Like that quote at the bottom states, they look better. And I'd rather stare at a gorgeous computer screen than an ugly one such as the one I'm staring out now. So performance-wise and appearance-wise I'm going to say Apple because, well, I don't game at all on my computer unless it's on an emulator which is very rare and when I'm in some type of slump. I'm more of a graphics co-ordinated person anyway.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I use my Dell Inspiron 6000 as a pillow when I sleep in at university, and it hasn't died yet after 4 years of usage both indoors and out.
    Haha, I use a 6000 as well, about as old as yours too and still going.

Years
  • My current laptop is a Samsung R710. It's quite good IMO, though only had it for a couple of weeks. For desktops, Dell seems pretty good to me. Been using them for a while and had no problems.

Ayesha

惚け
    Years
  • Samsung is okay but I never tried it. And using it as a pillow? Roflmao. Wasn't that a bit..hard? O.o

well, my laptop is an IBM, and it has served me well

so yeah i'm gonna go with that
    D: An IBM. Awesome lol they are so compact and so tiny. Well some of them. XD But I don't know <.< My bro says IBM sucks but thats HIS opinion...

Apple Inc.

This Changes Everything. Again
    Years
  • For desktops, I always get my cousin to build one for me.
    For laptops, I'd say Dell or HP.

I don't really like Apple Computers because they aren't that great for gaming (which is mainly all I care about). They are great for everything else though.

Nonsense. That's why they made Boot Camp. So you could run Windows Natively and play all your games on the mac. (and believe me it is a lot of fun to game on that 24" iMac)

Years
  • now if it's notebook manufacturers altogether I'd say Apple is the way to go since you can run anything on it
    Unless you're referencing the Boot Camp feature, you couldn't be farther from the truth. Your software selections are extremely limited on the Apple platform (though the major companies are represented so chances are, you'd be okay regardless).

Nonsense. That's why they made Boot Camp. So you could run Windows Natively and play all your games on the mac. (and believe me it is a lot of fun to game on that 24" iMac)
    This is generally true but I've heard of quite a few driver issues when trying to run Windows natively. Granted, I haven't looked into it much lately and this may have been resolved a while back but I remember it being a concern when I first heard about it.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Apple but that may be due in part to the range of software I use and how a good portion of it isn't represented on their OS. I find that you can do a lot more with less effort on a Windows-based PC once you know how to do it, though the extensive keyboard shortcuts on a Mac are pretty nice (and I've had extensive experience with both platforms so I can speak from experience).

For those of you recommending HP, I have to disagree. I'm using an HP right now and I've had nothing but problems with it (and the one I exchanged for this one) since day one. Mind you, none of them have been software-related - it's all in the hardware.

I'd personally recommend Dell. While their base level support sort of sucks (and that's an understatement), their hardware is great and I've never had a problem with them in the past.

And, if not only to reinforce this fact, custom builds are probably the best way to go if you're getting a desktop though if you don't know how to build yourself, Dell also makes a good desktop.

Years
  • Stupid thread is very stupid.
    You should be after specific models, not packagers. /facepalm.
    If your Dell has viruses, tough. Learn to use AntiVirus. It's not like Dell can stop you from visiting unsafe sites. Take care of yourself.

I hate Macbooks, just because they're macs. So they can run Windows. Guess what? So can a PC! Amazing, isn't it? And yes, they do get viruses. There are a few strains of Malware floating around now, and without a security program, your ilife is going i-side down, ha ha. Anyway, have you Mac users played any new games? No? Shame, because that really is the greatest upside to buying a computer alltogether. And please don't throw that multi-media crap at me, Sony Vegas destroys Final Cut Pro anyday.

As for brands to avoid, HP and Sony Vaio. Both of the said brands are usually very glossy and flashy, but cost more than other laptops with the same features.

I like Asus. They support lots of different OSs. For example, if you don't like XP that comes with your 'top, they will give you the tools and know how to install Vista.
    And even DOS.

Dells XPS series is one of my favourites because of the incredible amount of performance you can get out of a machine so small.

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • Desktops: Custom built is your best bet here, however, if you're not confident enough to build your own go with a Dell. They have great customization options, and they are generally easy to pay for. They're sure to not give you any problems, pretty solid PC here.

Laptops: Mac FTW

Back