• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the deal with pokemon bank?

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    Okay so I can't be the only one mad about this, right? It turns out that you can't trade pokemon between this new gen and the last, only through pokemon bank. But the bank won't be compatible with Sun and Moon until January! So all the pokemon I was hoping to use for this gen now have to sit in the bank doing nothing, and I can either wait until next year or just not use the pokemon I actually want to use! I had a shiny machop all ready to go and everything! So why the time delay?!

Years
  • I'm sure Bank could be made compatible earlier but then it defeats the point of actually playing these new games as they were intended to be played if people just bring their entire 25 boxes of Pokémon over from last gen on week 1. It's not hard to have fun using what you've already been given, right? The variety in catchable species for story mode is already enormous. People don't realize how good they have it by even having the ability to move almost everything they catch in older games up in the first place.

Really, the game can (easily) be enjoyed without using your Pokémon from other games. Give it a try.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    How is it that you just found out about this?

It's the same thing they did with Gen 6. Why did you expect this to be any different?

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
  • Personally I get the decision for Pokemon to have the official Pokemon Bank Update on January instead of closer to the launch day was in part all the things they still, or want to implement in terms of compatibility with both the 6th and Gen 1 VC titles. My problem is why make certain Pokemon VGC events so close to the game launch than that of the update. Aside completing the game (however long that normally takes per person), people have to find a ditto hotspot with a decent nature, raise the pokemon to level 100, and then to hyper train the IVs. It would have been much better if Pokemon SuMo had the Poke Bank update, but have the feature closed off after you completed the game similar to how Gen 4 and Gen 5's transfer systems were.
    Guess this is what Game Freak / TCPi wants for Pokemon fans to enjoy the games initially before they have access to their previous gen mons. Wonder if this will "mimic" or create a frenzy to get 5 iv Pokemon similar to early gen 6, though on that scale I doubt it.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Or just catch Ditto, play Festival Plaza and max IV like that? You don't need level 100 in Plaza do you?

More likely, just GTS to get a foreign Ditto and max those IV.

People are maxing IV already, and I don't think they got 100.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • It's very annoying, kind of saddened and disappointed too
    I have shiny Zorua ready and now they have to sadly wait.
    (wanted to use them in a fox team)

also have my Purrloin ready.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Part of the delay would be down to making Bank compatible with Pokemon RBY, so you can transfer them up to SM. That'll need some work as RBY has different mechanics in Pokemon stats to games nowadays, as well as fun bugs they'll need to proofcheck.

I don't mind the wait, personally. Got a bunch of other stuff to do in the game in the meantime.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I'll just say more or less what I've previously said for Gen 6.
    I really don't like this delay. Not only because IMHO they should have prepared everything ahead of the launch so that they people who wanted to transfer their Pokémon could transfer their Pokémon, but also because the Gen 5 -> Gen 6 and Gen 6 -> Gen 7 transfer should have been an offline feature to begin with, just like Gen 3 -> Gen 4 and Gen 4 -> Gen 5 transfer.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I personally don't mind the delay; Though I do admit it's kind of annoying.

Still, even with non-7th generation Pokemon in-game I didn't like using them.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I am alright with the delay. If it didn't exist, I would have probably brought over a lot of my Pokemon already. Though I would prefer that it would be a bit earlier, as I really want the shiny charm and don't want to spend my time evolving Pokemon I already have in my Bank's Living Dex...

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I think the integration of the national dex into the pokebank is also contributing to the delayed update. Like others have said, its good to just enjoy all the pokemon already in the game.

Years
  • What I want to know is of the compatibility with the Generation VI games. It sounded like once Pokémon go through, they can't go back to the Pokébank. I hope that's not the case, but it'll be irritating if it is.

Back