• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the stupidest thing you've done in a pokemon game?

The Oranguru Way

ukulelel
Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2016
    I've heard tales of letting a shiny get away because the player thought that the game was glitching. I've heard of players using the master ball on the first pokemon they encounter.

Me?

My first game ever was Sapphire back in 2004, and I'm guilty of:
    1. Not saving before battling Kyogre in Sootopolis City, and then selecting Run by accident.

2. Contracting Pokerus on my first ever playthrough of a pokemon game (the very same one as above) and then damaging my cartridge two days later.

What kind of mess ups did you guys go through on your first try? {XD} Or heck, even your thirty-first try, I ain't judging!

Years
  • I released a perfectly good Mewtwo in FireRed. I was able to catch it at full health with a Poke Ball on the first turn, so I released it then saved the game right after I got to the Pokemon Center. In hindsight, that was pretty stupid of me to do, considering the amount of luck it actually takes to do something like that, haha.

Anyway, since this could really apply to any of the Pokemon games, I'm going to move this over to Pokemon Gaming Central for you, since I think you'll probably get some better responses over there!

MOVED.

HyperMorian

Busy with University.
    Years
  • The most stupidest thing I've ever done in a Pokémon game?

Here's a little list from what I did, most of it came from Nuzlocke Challenge experience and some curiosity.
    Spoiler:

And actually there's more, but that's that.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Not the most stupidest moment, but occasionally I'll save twice consecutively. It's mainly because I forget whether I've just saved the game incase I looked away or whatever, so as a precaution I'll just save once again.

The Oranguru Way

ukulelel
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2016
    Not the most stupidest moment, but occasionally I'll save twice consecutively. It's mainly because I forget whether I've just saved the game incase I looked away or whatever, so as a precaution I'll just save once again.

Hahaha, I do that all the time. When I was a kid, I sometimes used to save a second time even if I saw it save the first time. That was a weird thing I had. Same way some people do easy calculations on a calculator multiple times.

Anyway, since this could really apply to any of the Pokemon games, I'm going to move this over to Pokemon Gaming Central for you, since I think you'll probably get some better responses over there!
    MOVED.

And thanks for that, Brendino!

Last edited:
    Years
  • The most stupid thing I've ever done is probably catch a Oddish with a master ball in Emerald. I had no idea what I was doing and when I realised the error of my ways later on in the game I couldn't handle it and just restarted my save haha.

Also in Emerald, I checked the 'successful rocket launches' guy obsessively until it got to 100 in the hope that I could go to the moon and battle Jirachi and Deoxys. Needless to say I was very disappointed when it didn't work xD

The Oranguru Way

ukulelel
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2016
    Also in Emerald, I checked the 'successful rocket launches' guy obsessively until it got to 100 in the hope that I could go to the moon and battle Jirachi and Deoxys. Needless to say I was very disappointed when it didn't work xD

Brother, you and I both. I spent so much time on this, hours I'll never get back.

Ironically, that's what made the satisfaction all the sweeter when GF let us go into space and catch Deoxys in the remakes.

I mean still no in-game Jirachi, but whatever.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I actually did this a few days ago and I felt totally embarrassed by it.
    For the last couple of weeks I've been trying to fill up my pokedex so I've been power leveleing pokemon to just hit their evolutions.

I leveled up a Vulpix and Staryu to about level 40, before I was so confused, that I looked them up on serebii and did a face palm when I realized that I had forgotten that they required stones. I mean, I'm an old school player, I really should know better.

I also made similar mistakes with Magneton and Nosepass, except a little different, I thought they needed to be traded and forgot about their need to be trained in a specific location, I had to offer them to my friend when he finally told me, "You do know those don't need to be traded to be evolved, right?" Face palmed again.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I used surf on a shiny Graveler in Platinum because I thought my game had glitched. I didn't think anything of it until I asked my sister what had happened. She then explained shiny Pokemon to me and I had an asdfghjkl; moment afterwards.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • let's see, I've done a few silly things playing pokemon over the years. I'll go over the stupidest things for each version over the generations:

Blue: Captured Missingno and did not take heed of the warnings. I eventually forgot all about said warnings and promptly corrupted my save while goofing around with it. [Mitigated] I actually owned a GameShark Pro for the GBC back then and was able to restore an older save. I didn't lose much progress. My reaction when I caught it: "FEEL LIKE A HACKER!~ :D" My reaction when I corrupted my save: "FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!"

Crystal: Ok so there would be times that I'd play just for fun; exploring the map and enjoying the scenery and letting my young little mind be fascinated by the wonders of Johto proper. So as you can imagine, as a young gamer I also developed a rather quick method of scrolling to RUN and executing that command when faced with wild Pokemon. Often times they were annoyingly frequent and this is where the fuckup usually happens. You encounter about 5-7 annoyingly common pokemon you already have and don't want or care about, then as your rage meter builds finally you get approached by a Wild Suicune!~ But at this point you don't care; your gamer instinct kicks in before the sprite and name loads fully onto the screen and you quickly input the command to RUN, which you do...and you feel so stupid as you see Suicune fade away as you inescapably escape the battle x3

Ruby: Same as Crystal; except Latias. This one double stung because I really love Latias. Also; typical premature usage of Master Ball on Groudon made capturing Rayquaza a humongous pain in the ass. Oh the rage was real. But this is the kind of fuck up you don't realize until later when you are missing that Ball. x3 [Somewhat Mitigated after] I obtained an action replay later. "999 x Master Balls" in mah bag Yo.

Pearl: Accidentally moving my Underground home to investigate other possible secret underground bases. Problem was; I did not properly document or remember where it was my previous place was. I later found out that the base layout I had before changing places then was one of the better ones. I was so annoyed at myself for that; because that underground is absolutely mazelike.

White/White(2): Amusingly nothing incredibly stupid happened in this game. I actually paid attention properly.

Heart Gold: See Crystal. Roaming Legendary fuckup all over again. Suicune too. Except this time it wasn't me executing a series of button presses; I just stupidly fat-fingered on the touch screen and bumped run. I raged. Hard. For an hour. Didn't throw anything but I was close.

Y: When the game was new; Castelia City was home to a stupid savegame glitch in version 1.0. I promptly got stuck by this glitch. Being this is a 3DS game; and a newer system; we didn't have the save utilities and such it offers now and we didn't even have save management in earlier 3DS firmwares. [Mitigated] Nintendo promptly released an update and tool to fix players affected by this bug in the game; I was fortunately only stuck for one day.

Omega Ruby: Several accidental runs and/or faints when encountering legendaries in the hoops. Also several cases of being unable to capture them because I misjudged my supply of Pokeballs and team. [Slightly Mitigated] In the fact that I did perform preparatory saves before each battle in most cases. But since my first playthrough of OR was blind (no guide, come on, I'm a master of Hoenn after logging over 1800 hours on Ruby); and the game was super new; I didn't really know or understand what these hoops meant or understand how to correctly use them. So I'm probably missing a fair few legendaries. Not allowing myself to restart either; but I never do when I make a dumb mistake. I just live with it.

Guest123_x1

I've made a lot of silly and sometimes even stupid mistakes, especially early on in my experience playing main series Pokémon games. I've listed them before in older threads, but I'm going to limit myself to three of the stupidest ones I've ever done (all of these were on my first near-full playing of Yellow):
    • Running from battles with all three Legendary Birds, as well as both Snorlax. I had a really bad habit of trying to run from every single wild Pokémon battle possible in my early days of playing Pokémon.
    • Wasting my Master Ball on a Farfetch'd because I was getting frustrated with it frequently breaking out of my Great Balls.
    • Spoiling my starter Pikachu to the point where it got to Level 65 by the final Gym.

Back