• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What Is with the Phone system?

anthonyrossbach

CEO SBIH Inc.
Years
  • Now I am 4/5 finished the game and found a few things that have both annoyed me and found funny. First bit is the phone. Every town i keep getting calls from just this one kid saying his ratatat is like no other, it is a supper ratatat then hanging up, now this is annoying. But what about the people asking for the numbers. There will be sections with none asking then a few routs and towns where everyone asks for your number after every battle and talk. Well I can tell they where working in these areas when they got that to work.

But there are a lot of lines that are a bit disturbing especial if you are just barley paying attention. So here is a list of wierd messages people tell you.

1. I will call you if a boy gives me any gifts. - A girl after a battle.
    2. You always give the customer what they want. - A team rocket member.

That is what i remember off the top of my head so comment and post any you found weird.

AyameHikaru

Beauty Queen
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2013
    First off, his Rattata has at least one perfect IV, so it really IS in the top percentage of Rattata. :P

Second, would you prefer EVERY person asking for your number? Or some predetermined number, like every third battle? GameFreak decided how many people they wanted to have in your phone book, and they 'randomly' spread them out.

Third, the girl giving you stuff boys gave her makes perfect sense. It's implied that she's very popular, meaning she gets lots of gifts. Likely she pawns them off on anyone who walks by. The waiting in between calls is just a setup so she doesn't look so desperate to get rid of stuff.

anthonyrossbach

CEO SBIH Inc.
    Years
  • I know about her and the gifts and stuff i was just talking when your tired, playing the game and your skimming text, it is kinda weird sometimes. Also sure his ratatat is a good one but do i need to know 3 times every hour.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Here's also something I noticed: when you have a rematch with a person, sometimes their Pokemon evolves, yet when you call them, they still mention its pre-evolved form.

Here's an example: when you battle Youngster Joey in the rematch, his Rattata evolves into Raticate,, yet when you call him, he still mentions Rattata.

anthonyrossbach

CEO SBIH Inc.
    Years
  • Here's also something I noticed: when you have a rematch with a person, sometimes their Pokemon evolves, yet when you call them, they still mention its pre-evolved form.

Here's an example: when you battle Youngster Joey in the rematch, his Rattata evolves into Raticate,, yet when you call him, he still mentions Rattata.

Ha that is funny! Looks like they dont keep track of where you are in the story when it comes to that.

PKMN Santa

Making His List
    Years
  • On my second play-through of HG I didn't accept anyone's number. Well, with the exception of the ones you need. It was quite nice playing without being called every five minutes having a Youngster tell you that his Rattata is in the top-percentage of Rattata.

anthonyrossbach

CEO SBIH Inc.
    Years
  • On my second play-through of HG I didn't accept anyone's number. Well, with the exception of the ones you need. It was quite nice playing without being called every five minutes having a Youngster tell you that his Rattata is in the top-percentage of Rattata.

Ya that is annoying, I should do that next time.

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years

You could just not answer the calls...

Le Creep!

~don't act blonde.
    Years
  • I hate it when Mom calls, seriously, it's like ever 10 minutes..

I defeat Whitney, mom calls.
    I defeat some random trainer on the road, Mom calls.
    I defeat Chuck, mom calls.
    I've just defeated Archy, mom calls.
    I've just walked out of the Pokemon center, mom calls.
    I've just killed a Rattata, mom calls.

The list is endless.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I hate it when Mom calls, seriously, it's like ever 10 minutes..

I defeat Whitney, mom calls.
    I defeat some random trainer on the road, Mom calls.
    I defeat Chuck, mom calls.
    I've just defeated Archy, mom calls.
    I've just walked out of the Pokemon center, mom calls.
    I've just killed a Rattata, mom calls.

The list is endless.
    It's useful in a way because she gets you items at the cost of some of your money. But it's annoying if she doesn't get you the items you want.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Is there any way to erase people from your phone?
    No, there is none (unlike in GSC, but in that game you could only hold 10 numbers or something like that?)

I just skip calls that I know are pointless (i.e. the mother), but do not really mind the conversations anyways tbh (and I'd say it's be a bit boring in a way if they only ever called to battle you - here they have a bit more of a personality!). But that's me.

It's amusing how some people act all depressed if you don't get their phone number - the fisherman south of violet city springs to mind there for instance...

Le Creep!

~don't act blonde.
    Years
  • ^ I said no to a Firebreather in a cave and he said ''oh, well, I guess people don't really like Firebreathers..''.

Firebreather just turned into an Emo!

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    its annoying how lyra's marril evolve 8 times... and when you meet her it's still a marill

Le Creep!

~don't act blonde.
    Years
  • I've just opened my DS, Mom calls.

I like the feature of her saving my money, but seriously, maybe if she had a husband that hung around and not just make the future of good for Pokemon and leave, she'd have another person to call and brag about what she bought at the shops today.

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years

• In my opinion, what's the point of registering them if ultimately I'm not going to answer the calls.

Because later in the game you have very limited trainer battling options (since there is no VS. Seeker). If you call them on certain days, you can battle them again and their Pokémon will be significantly higher leveled (you can also get free items from them).

The Lord of Smug
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    The phone is useful, yet utterly annoying. When you want to rebattle trainers or even gym leaders, you use the phone.

But then they start calling and calling with useless pieces of information, and you cant cancel it, so that one button just keeps bouncing!

I tried to NOT register any trainers, but Lyra's registration is forced, and she will take the place for every trainer you missed, calling you CONSECUTIVELY.

No Lyra, I dont care if your Marill evolved for the 8th time, STOP CALLING ME!

definitely one of the downsides of the game.

Back