• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What is your Battle Subway Team?

Ice Car

Banned
Years
  • Title says it all. This is my current (though ever-changing) team for Battle Subway. It's gotten me far, but one of the biggest problems with it is its lack of power; things like Snorlax will wall the **** out of my team. Rotom helps with wall breaking but if it dies, I'm ****ed. At least it's pretty bulky.

Edit: This is my team for Super Singles by the way. Just remembered to add that.

(Adamant) Flygon (Choice Scarf) 6 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
    U-Turn
    Dragon Claw
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge

(Modest) Rotom-W (Choice Specs) 112 HP, 252 Sp Atk, 144 Spd
    Will-O-Wisp
    Trick
    Thunderbolt
    Hydro Pump

(Modest) (Speed Boost) Yanmega (Life Orb) 6 Def, 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd
    Protect
    Bug Buzz
    Air Slash
    AncientPower

Edit: I honestly only just realized my entire team is immune to Ground type moves.

Last edited:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I've done it once, and I forget who played the anchor leg at the moment (but my battle video will remember! I'll update that later). However, I did start with a Zoroark raised from an Egg (and very strong) and my recently evolved Conkeldurr. In the first 13 battles, Zoroark stood proud over one opponent, and often two. On the final car of the second train, it met its match immediately and the match came down to the last hit, knocking me out of the sequence. I have yet to go back as I've been busy looking for the other Pokémon (and going damn casually about that task given I have been playing other games).

Cyclone

Years
  • My battle subway team is just whatever my in-game team was. Not the best strategy, but I find it to be more fun. Right now I'm in the middle of another playthrough, (a nuzlocke) but if I were to do it, it would be: Seismitoad, Archeops and Escavalier. :D

DusknoirZac

Dusknoir
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2012
    My team is

Mienshao @Life Orb
    He mostly is a U Turn user, if I can get a super effective move against the enemy, thats great, and then I switch with U Turn. He takes damage with Life Orb, but gains it back with Regenerator.

DD Haxorus @Shell Bell
    Just an option for switching out from Mienshao. A standard Dragon Dance user.

SD Sub Terrakion @ Leftovers
    Another choice for switching out from Mienshao. He's really strong, and fast. With a few Swords Dances, he is a wreaking ball.

Ice Car

Banned
    Years
  • My team is

Mienshao @Life Orb
    He mostly is a U Turn user, if I can get a super effective move against the enemy, thats great, and then I switch with U Turn. He takes damage with Life Orb, but gains it back with Regenerator.

DD Haxorus @Shell Bell
    Just an option for switching out from Mienshao. A standard Dragon Dance user.

SD Sub Terrakion @ Leftovers
    Another choice for switching out from Mienshao. He's really strong, and fast. With a few Swords Dances, he is a wreaking ball.

I don't think you really need to Swords Dance more than once on a Terrakion. It's already a wrecking ball with just one SD.

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2013
    I'm not sure if this team is good, since it's been a while since I've played competitively, but anyways:
    (Modest) Starmie@Life Orb (EVs mostly on Sp.ATK and Speed)
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Psychic
    -Thunderbolt

(Modest) Gengar@Colbur Berry (EVs mostly on Sp.ATK and Speed)
    -Focus Blast
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Shadow Ball
    -Thunderbolt

(Adamant) Metagross@Leftovers (EVs mostly on ATK and DEF)
    -Bullet Punch
    -Meteor Mash
    -Earthquake
    -Hammer Arm(I don't know why I still have it, since MM and EQ cover against rock, ice, and steel, all of which are covered by fighting types.)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I don't think you really need to Swords Dance more than once on a Terrakion. It's already a wrecking ball with just one SD.
    I never use Sword's Dance, but if the opponent is stronger than me, I would use it. If I'm still making little headway, I use it again. And again.

I find Terrakion to be a beast without using it at all. I just get out of the way of any Psychics.

Cyclone

DusknoirZac

Dusknoir
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2012
    I never use Sword's Dance, but if the opponent is stronger than me, I would use it. If I'm still making little headway, I use it again. And again.

I find Terrakion to be a beast without using it at all. I just get out of the way of any Psychics.

Cyclone

Well, generally the people from the battle subway send out their weakest first (or it seems that way to me) so since I'm recovering HP from leftovers and they can't spam me with statuses, I use Swords Dance two or three times just in case they have something strong in store.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I'm surprised Terrakion isn't banned from the Battle Subway.

Cyclone

Ice Car

Banned
    Years
  • Well, generally the people from the battle subway send out their weakest first (or it seems that way to me) so since I'm recovering HP from leftovers and they can't spam me with statuses, I use Swords Dance two or three times just in case they have something strong in store.

Weakest first? Then why is it that the enemy keeps leading with Salamences and Hydreigons when it's me? :(

Years
  • Starmie
    - Psychic
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Scald

Chandelure
    - Flamethrower
    - Shadow Ball
    - Psychic
    - Energy Ball

Tyranitar
    - Earthquake
    - Brick Break
    - Stone Edge
    - Crunch

Gets me half-way through the Super Single but then I get clobbered.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I think it's a good thing that this is turning into a discussion somewhat, since at least it generates some activity. Just remember to keep discussion out of the normal what's your team thread, in case you all get so excited here that you want to discuss everything there, too! n_n KEEP THE DISCUSSION COMING????

Actually to be relevant, I planned to make a team featuring Volcarona, Haxorus and something else... possibly Sawk or Terrakion? I only bred the good Larvesta and without RNG it's hard so I kinda... didn't. /lazy

I did use a normal Volcarona/Sawk/something else, though, so I could get a Choice item.

Weakest first? Then why is it that the enemy keeps leading with Salamences and Hydreigons when it's me? :(

Possibly he means the thing that is setting up Stealth Rock and stuff first, though with only three Pokemon, unless you had a PHazing strategy I'm not sure why you would.

I'm surprised Terrakion isn't banned from the Battle Subway.

Cyclone

I am too kinda, but honestly, it's not banned from normal OU so it's not that much of an issue. You just get a big advantage here because the NPCs are mostly dumb for the most part lol.

Ice Car

Banned
    Years
  • Possibly he means the thing that is setting up Stealth Rock and stuff first, though with only three Pokemon, unless you had a PHazing strategy I'm not sure why you would.

I am too kinda, but honestly, it's not banned from normal OU so it's not that much of an issue. You just get a big advantage here because the NPCs are mostly dumb for the most part lol.

Well, not necessarily all Pokemon that set up are "weak," and the only time I see the computer lead with something that can "set up," it's on something like a weather team, or more often, a trick room team.

In fact, rarely ever do I see a Pokemon that sets up Spikes/Rocks at the beginning, there were even a few times when the AI sent out the entry hazard-setter out last and only set up toxic spikes while I killed it.

I wouldn't consider the AI dumb, even though it can be so sometimes, (e.g. anything with Aromatherapy/Heal Bell just spams either move over and over) the AI in the Battle Subway is actually a lot better than in the standard game. The AI in the Battle Subway switches out more often than any other in the game from what I've seen and if I render something useless with a choice item they often switch out so it doesn't get locked into a stat boosting move or the like.

Moreover, the pokemon they have, I am being convinced more and more are in fact EV'd and IV'd. The sets just about every pokemon I've seen run are competitive level, and the AI is capable of utilizing it much better than elsewhere.

Edit: Anyone want to comment on my team? It does pretty well but I'd like some constructive criticism on how I could make it better. I already substituted Fire Punch on Flygon for Stone Edge, since I bred the Flygon on Black and can't move tutor it, and Yanmega could really use Hidden Power Ground to deal with Steel Types.

Last edited:

QuickBaller

100% CATCHING RATE
    Years
  • My Team is:
    Cloyster: Focus Sash
    Ability: Shell Link
    Shell Smash
    Rock Blast
    Icicle Spear
    Razor Shell

Magmortar: Expert Belt
    Ability: Flame Body
    Thunderbolt
    Psychic
    Focus Blast
    Flamethrower

Swampert: Ground Gem/Leftovers
    Ability: Torrent
    Waterfall
    Hammer Arm
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Gallade w/ Expert Belt
    Psycho Cut
    Night Slash
    Low Sweep
    Protect

Magneton w/ Eviolite
    Thunderbolt
    Thunder Wave
    Flash Cannon
    Magnet Rise

Hydreigon w/ Chesto Berry
    Dragon Pulse
    Flamethrower
    Dark Pulse
    Rest

An unexceptional team intended to be balanced in terms of attack/defence.
    About the most clever thing I've done is put Protect on the lead to scout.

Last edited:

Ice Car

Banned
    Years
  • Gallade w/ Expert Belt
    Psycho Cut
    Night Slash
    Low Sweep
    Protect

Magneton w/ Eviolite
    Thunderbolt
    Thunder Wave
    Flash Cannon
    Magnet Rise

Hydreigon w/ Chesto Berry
    Dragon Pulse
    Flamethrower
    Dark Pulse
    Rest

An unexceptional team intended to be balanced in terms of attack/defence.
    About the most clever thing I've done is put Protect on the lead to scout.

Why Low Sweep on Gallade instead of Close Combat? Close Combat is two times as powerful and doesn't have any drawbacks other than becoming more frail, though that won't matter if you outspeed.

I would put Draco Meteor or Surf instead of Rest and Choice Specs instead of Chesto Berry to make an offensive set, but I guess having the Rest + Chesto Berry set increases its longevity... Usually my Hydreigon can almost always survive 2 hits from a strong neutral attack without defense investment and it's fast enough to kill what I want dead before it dies, so that works out. Draco Meteor to take out threats to take out bulky threats, Surf for coverage.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Why Low Sweep on Gallade instead of Close Combat? Close Combat is two times as powerful and doesn't have any drawbacks other than becoming more frail, though that won't matter if you outspeed.

I would put Draco Meteor or Surf instead of Rest and Choice Specs instead of Chesto Berry to make an offensive set, but I guess having the Rest + Chesto Berry set increases its longevity... Usually my Hydreigon can almost always survive 2 hits from a strong neutral attack without defense investment and it's fast enough to kill what I want dead before it dies, so that works out. Draco Meteor to take out threats to take out bulky threats, Surf for coverage.
    Low Sweep started as a novelty. I would otherwise use Brick Break (I am, you might guess, generally a fan of sub-100 power moves with 100 accuracy and no negative side-effects). Gallade is not really very fast and at that I believe mine's geared more toward special defence, so lowering an opponent's speed when the other move I would use isn't all that much more powerful anyway probably has its place.

Again with Draco Meteor, it's just not to my preferences, but its drawback after use is quite profound too. I don't run Hydreigon as pure offence; it's bulky too. I have actually considered Surf, but Flamethrower is there only so it doesn't get walled by Steel-types anyway (and can serve more defensively against Bug-types if it must), and I also play doubles which makes Surf a double-edge I'd rather not deal with.

Evidently, I don't play very seriously... just isn't fun.

Last edited:

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • The team I used in Black Super singles was:
    Cloyster, Skill Link w/Focus Sash
    Shell Smash
    Razor Shell
    Rock Blast
    Icicle Spear

Garchomp, Sand Veil w/Choice Scarf
    Earthquake
    Outrage
    Fire Fang
    Aerial Ace

Suicune, Pressure w/Leftovers
    Scald
    Calm Mind
    Substitute
    Rest

It worked really well and I beat the bosses in no time.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    What I used in the Battle Subway at the time was this team during the singles rounds.

Garchomp (Stallord) - Naughty - Choice Band

Earthquake
    Outrage
    Stone Edge
    Crunch

Hydreigon (Ayusuna) - Rash - Choice Specs

Draco Meteor
    Dark Pulse
    Fire Blast
    Surf

Chandelure (Bakugami) - Modest - Choice Specs

Flamethrower
    Shadow Ball
    Energy Ball
    HP Fighting

My team in doubles was the same too with this added in for the 4th slot.

Conkledurr (Kefka) - Bashful - Choice Band

Mach Punch
    Superpower
    Stone Edge
    Payback

Basically my strategy was to smash through anything as quickly as possible, the natures could have been better but fortunately this team pulled me through and gave me a rather nice string of victories at the time, had a Ninjask while making the beta version but I dropped it in favor of Hydreigon as boosting up and Baton Passing became too tedious and somewhat risky by the time I got to the tougher trainers in the areas I was competing in at the time. Also tested Life Orbs but they didn't give me enough power for the clean OHKOs I sought for.

Last edited:
    Back